Home

Old 07-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: The Extra Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
One of my greatest disappointments was back in 2010. All of us really enjoyed the way the halftime show was handled in 2k5, but were told that there was no way remotely possible that Madden would include anything seen in the 2k series.

One afternoon during a community day the topic of presentation came up and everyone was in complete agreement that 2k5 had the presentation locked up and why the team couldn't simply copy the idea of what 2k did. They were told then and there that their opinion of the 2k presentation was awful and boring and that their presentation was miles ahead of what 2k had previously done lol.
The unfortunate part about this statement is that none of it surprises me in the least. It is fantasy land at that studio, and being the only NFL game only reinforces that fantasy. Man, I wish I could live in fantasy land too. Sounds like a fantastic place
Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #18
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsontide27
They were told then and there that their opinion of the 2k presentation was awful and boring and that their presentation was miles ahead of what 2k had previously done lol.
The 2K5 presentation was great because they kept it simple. They showed highlights of your game, showed some key stats and got you back to the game. It was nicely dressed with real ESPN graphics and Chris Berman.

In the more recent attempts by EA, it seems they try to hard to be clever and/or creative. And for me at least, it rarely works. For example in NCAA '14, Rece Davis will cut in with an update to an obscure sunbelt game they have been "Watching all day long". Or an "upset in the making" that is 3-0 in the first quarter. A few years earlier, you would go to halftime which had nothing, kickoff to start the second half, and then all of a sudden they would recap some highlights from the first half.....just kind of weird.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
The 2K5 presentation was great because they kept it simple. They showed highlights of your game, showed some key stats and got you back to the game. It was nicely dressed with real ESPN graphics and Chris Berman.

In the more recent attempts by EA, it seems they try to hard to be clever and/or creative. And for me at least, it rarely works. For example in NCAA '14, Rece Davis will cut in with an update to an obscure sunbelt game they have been "Watching all day long". Or an "upset in the making" that is 3-0 in the first quarter. A few years earlier, you would go to halftime which had nothing, kickoff to start the second half, and then all of a sudden they would recap some highlights from the first half.....just kind of weird.
Actually, I don't agree with what I've bolded. I think the answer is much simpler than this. It had wow factor because they simply copied what ESPN really does on television. They didn't invent any of it. From graphic overlays, to the personalities used, to how they actually talk, to the logos - everything was just copied from real life. NBA 2k and MLB the Show do the exact same thing. That's the problem most people have with Madden's presentation - it is always something that they invented instead of what is actually seen on television. Sorry, but no one is going to think that Tiburon does NFL presentation better than CBS, Fox, NFL Network or ESPN

Last edited by GiantBlue76; 07-17-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Actually, I don't agree with what I've bolded. I think the answer is much simpler than this. It had wow factor because they simply copied what ESPN really does on television. They didn't invent any of it. From graphic overlays, to the personalities used, to how they actually talk, to the logos - everything was just copied from real life. NBA 2k and MLB the Show do the exact same thing. That's the problem most people have with Madden's presentation - it is always something that they invented instead of what is actually seen on television. Sorry, but no one is going to think that Tiburon does NFL presentation better than CBS, Fox, NFL Network or ESPN
Another thing that they do that kills the immersion of presentation is putting their EA Sports logo everywhere. I get that they are trying to market themselves in this way, I understand the marketing point of it.

And maybe this is silly but seeing EA Sports everywhere while I am playing a game kills the immersion for me. If they would replace the EA sports logos in banners and stadiums with the NFL logo, it would go a long way towards making things look more realistic.. But that will never happen, EA Sports loves them some EA Sports

Last edited by Azcardinal32; 07-17-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #21
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

I mean, lets not hit Tiburon too hard here, ESPN also made their presentation a lot worse since 2k5 as well.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #22
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azcardinal32
Another thing that they do that kills the immersion of presentation is putting their EA Sports logo everywhere. I get that they are trying to market themselves in this way, I understand the marketing point of it.

And maybe this is silly but seeing EA Sports everywhere while I am playing a game kills the immersion for me. If they would replace the EA sports logos in banners and stadiums with the NFL logo, it would go a long way towards making things look more realistic.. But that will never happen, EA Sports loves them some EA Sports
In fairness to EA in this respect - they are not alone in this area. The other major sports games (NBA 2K and MLB The Show) both also feature their logos in prominent locations throughout gameplay, most notably the on-screen scoreboard.

To be entirely honest, it's so common for games to use their logos in this sense that I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #23
Banned

Jibbler's Arena

OVR: 0

Just think for a minute about this.
back in madden 1993 on the sega mega drive

it would let you watch the last 2 mins of a game if it was close.. if that could be done 21 years ago then imagine what could be done now in todays technolagy.

it needs a hafltime show with highlights I guess the problem is it could be to generated and show the same stuff after a while.

the extra point was OK but once you seen it 3 or 4 times it was same stuff becasue it was done with a guy behind a green screen that just came in to act out the scenes.

but because EA 2 years ago decided to turn this game into a role play game like World of Warcraft where apperntly you can get your speed up with age if you use points in it rather then focus on the sport aspect of it and presentation and real life feel, who knows what will happen

Simming really I feel is a waste of time I feels like I play my game come back and see random stats scores regardless of how good someones ratings are.

Last edited by Jibbler; 07-18-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:16 AM   #24
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

It's so strange how Madden boasts "superior" presentation when Tiburon's done better, more authentic work in their other games --- namely NBA Live 14, whose ESPN presentation was surprisingly good for what it's worth.

If you look at the bigger picture, EA as a company currently owns the rights to use ESPN, NBC Sports and even the NFL Network branding. EA Canada's used a pretty accurate ESPN graphics package in FIFA without the need for a "back of the box" feature. NHL is supposedly getting an presentation "overhaul" this year with the full NBC Sports suite.

I also hate to bring EA Canada's "NCAA Basketball 10" up again, but its two-network presentation idea was certainly ahead of its time. It's too bad the last generation's disc space didn't have enough room for two solid commentary tracks as it does now with FIFA's Tyler/Smith and Tyldesley/Townsend.

As for a more authentic wrapup/halftime/postgame, the new tech in each new console certainly makes it possible. Load times were issues in CHoops 2K8 and ESPN NFL 2K5, but otherwise it provided you with a totally optional but highly informative view on the bigger storylines in your Franchise/Legacy mode.

The Twitter page does an adequate job of this but a video-based presentation with actual CFM game highlights would send immersion into high gear, especially for online leagues. It would essentially take the work out of a commissioner's hands and could even be exported onto YouTube or other video sharing sites.

For offline CFM play, like in the old 2K titles, I feel scripted gameplay renderings/elements could still work. They're better than nothing at all.

Anyway, some of the technology was already there in the NCAA series --- saved screenshots and replays were once used as menu elements and in the "ESPN" section of the NCAA Dynasty mode. We could easily have that type of functionality in a video presentation like The Extra Point. What could have been a very interesting feature turned into another "scrap and rebuild" and it's no surprise that (apparently) competent, dynamic, real-time presentation took as long as Madden 15 to get re-introduced.

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 07-18-2014 at 02:19 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »