Home

Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

This is a discussion on Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #89
MVP
 
HC0023's Arena
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
At lest sliders actually worked right prior to Madden 13. Lol
Like i stated in a past post forgot actually where i said this think in the DLC SIM THREAD Slider makers like yourself are what make this game you guys try to give us as much of a simulation experience that you all possibly can when you all make your slider sets . Hopefully this year you guys wont have to do alot of that . And i can retire the slider testing champion LOL
HC0023 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #90
Formerly simon48xbox
 
The_Balm's Arena
 
OVR: 6
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 589
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Bottom line, nobody knows where this game is really going but we all know where this game didn't go in the past.
Ah... What!? I just don't get this... Right, nobody knows, including you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Until this team has failed us we need to stop treating them as if they are responsible for others failures in the past.
Correct, but at the same time we shouldn't treat them like they're God's gift to Madden until they've blessed us with an awesome Madden. I also haven't seen one post blaming this dev team for the failures of past teams.

I would be "thumbs upping" this post and agreeing wholeheartedly if you hadn't been stating that "this is the one" and as far as I can tell completely making up the people are blaming this team for past teams failures thing.

Last edited by The_Balm; 07-16-2014 at 12:36 AM.
The_Balm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:24 AM   #91
Rookie
 
JHTJ's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FT Bragg, NC
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I hope you guys have a good night. I'm going to crash, but I'll leave you with this, regardless of how much knowledge Ian had vs Rex and the current team, the end result of Ian's era was a game that went from bad to worse and that is what this team inherited, a broken game. The final product is really the only thing that matters, nobody can tell me that the teams of the past were the same as this team unless this team's final product ends up as poor and broken as theirs. I'm 99.9% sure that won't happen because the team is built with a long term mindset and leadership above them supports their direction. Bottom line, nobody knows where this game is really going but we all know where this game didn't go in the past. Until this team has failed us we need to stop treating them as if they are responsible for others failures in the past. Good night


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm new to this site, but up until this thread I Honestly thought you worked for EA in some compacity. I thought nobody could possibly be this blindly optimistic after all the Madden community has been through. I have two words for you my friend – critical thought. Never take anything anyone says to you at face value. It should go without saying this is especially true if someone has financial incentive or a shoddy track record – both of which apply. With that said, I'll remain cautiously optimistic while reminding myself of the old adage "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 7 times...."
__________________
"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
JHTJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 12:54 AM   #92
MVP
 
JKSportsGamer1984's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ by way of Washington D.C.
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
We may not always interact, but I promise you we are always reading.
Rex, not to turn this into a wishlist thread, but can we at least get player names on the sideline players jerseys along with their correct sock height & accessories? It really stands out & kills the immersion every time I see it.

Good to hear that you're aware of Maddens shortcomings & have plans to address them. Things like signature running animations/ball carrying styles, DB/WR interactions, etc..couldn't come soon enough. Keep up the good work!
JKSportsGamer1984 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #93
Oh Deer!
 
m1ke_nyc's Arena
 
OVR: 7
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Auburn, GA
Posts: 3,419
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I hope you guys have a good night. I'm going to crash, but I'll leave you with this, regardless of how much knowledge Ian had vs Rex and the current team, the end result of Ian's era was a game that went from bad to worse and that is what this team inherited, a broken game. The final product is really the only thing that matters, nobody can tell me that the teams of the past were the same as this team unless this team's final product ends up as poor and broken as theirs. I'm 99.9% sure that won't happen because the team is built with a long term mindset and leadership above them supports their direction. Bottom line, nobody knows where this game is really going but we all know where this game didn't go in the past. Until this team has failed us we need to stop treating them as if they are responsible for others failures in the past. Good night


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They failed us with Madden 25 Next Gen
m1ke_nyc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #94
All Star
 
splff3000's Arena
 
OVR: 32
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Blog Entries: 3
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
We may not always interact, but I promise you we are always reading.
That seemed kinda eery, lol like the voice of god chiming in saying "I'm always watching" lol.

Anyway, I've been reading this thread in total disbelief of you, JP. I really do appreciate all that you do for the community and have told you that numerous times, but I really have to comment on the Ian stuff. First off, I have to say this, I have never been as excited for ANY videogame as I was for Madden 10. It wasn't because of hype. It was because of Ian and his transparency. It was because we knew what his vision was, not because he TOLD us, but because he SHOWED us. There are all kinds of vids that were made within the Madden engine showing better wr/db interactions, pass blocking and all kinds of stuff that was just amazing at the time. He definitely was sim focused.

There were times when he would tweak the game real time as we gave input. I remember specifically chiming in during a thread were Ian was tweaking the pass rush as we gave input. It was almost as if we were part of the development process. No, we WERE part of the process. I'm glad Senator Palmer posted those vids and quotes because that is just a small fraction of what was going on around here then.

I work nights sometimes and I distinctly remember on more than one occasion at 1 or 2'o clock in the morning Ian is on the forum getting feedback for the game that he's still working on. Ian definitely wanted to make a football game that mimics real life. He wanted to badly. I've been told from a few sources, one of which you know quite well for his rant on twitter, that Ian didn't have the control he needed to make the game he wanted. I don't have proof and I'm sure he wouldn't admit it publicly, but I honestly feel that's why he left.

To the point of using pro athletes, Ian and Co. used pro athletes as well, well semi pro. They used them for mocap and input. The point isn't necessarily about using pro athletes tho. I know people in my neighborhood that understand blocking concepts and all sorts of stuff that is way over my head. You don't have to be a pro athlete to know this stuff. By that same token, just because you are a pro athlete, that doesn't mean you are extremely knowledgeable about different football schemes. There are countless books written by former players and coaches that go into great detail about schemes and concepts. You don't need John Elway in the studio to tell you about a route tree. The fact that Cam Newton was brought in seems like a tremendous waste of resources because you could have called in just about any former qb that played big time college or nfl ball and got the same results.

I don't know where this "Ian was crap, but Cam and Rex are gods" stuff is coming from, but its bs. You're talking about Ian as if he's David Ortiz (The Madden 06 dev, not the baseball player for you youngins) and that simply just was not the case. He was as committed to making a sim football game as any dev. In the end tho, it wasn't a lack of knowledge or lack of desire that caused it to fail. It was a lack of control.

With all due respect to the current devs, they haven't shown me jack in regards to what they are planning. They're just talking, but you take their WORD at it, yet you say Ian wasn't on their level when he showed VIDEO of these things in engine. I don't get it. Maybe you're just trying to become a gcer or something because right now, I'm not understanding where all this blind loyalty is coming from.
__________________
PSN - Splff3000
Twitch

Last edited by splff3000; 07-16-2014 at 01:23 AM.
splff3000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:35 AM   #95
Formerly simon48xbox
 
The_Balm's Arena
 
OVR: 6
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 589
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
That seemed kinda eery, lol like the voice of god chiming in saying "I'm always watching" lol.

Anyway, I've been reading this thread in total disbelief of you, JP. I really do appreciate all that you do for the community and have told you that numerous times, but I really have to comment on the Ian stuff. First off, I have to say this, I have never been as excited for ANY videogame as I was for Madden 10. It wasn't because of hype. It was because of Ian and his transparency. It was because we knew what his vision was, not because he TOLD us, but because he SHOWED us. There are all kinds of vids that were made within the Madden engine showing better wr/db interactions, pass blocking and all kinds of stuff that was just amazing at the time. He definitely was sim focused.

There were times when he would tweak the game real time as we gave input. I remember specifically chiming in during a thread were Ian was tweaking the pass rush as we gave input. It was almost as if we were part of the development process. No, we WERE part of the process. I'm glad Senator Palmer posted those vids and quotes because that is just a small fraction of what was going on around here then.

I work nights sometimes and I distinctly remember on more than one occasion at 1 or 2'o clock in the morning Ian is on the forum getting feedback for the game that he's still working on. Ian definitely wanted to make a football game that mimics real life. He wanted to badly. I've been told from a few sources, one of which you know quite well for his rant on twitter, that Ian didn't have the control he needed to make the game he wanted. I don't have proof and I'm sure he wouldn't admit it publicly, but I honestly feel that's why he left.

To the point of using pro athletes, Ian and Co. used pro athletes as well, well semi pro. They used them for mocap and input. The point isn't necessarily about using pro athletes tho. I know people in my neighborhood that understand blocking concepts and all sorts of stuff that is way over my head. You don't have to be a pro athlete to know this stuff. By that same token, just because you are a pro athlete, that doesn't mean you are extremely knowledgeable about different football schemes. There are countless books written by former players and coaches that go into great detail about schemes and concepts. You don't need John Elway in the studio to tell you about a route tree. The fact that Cam Newton was brought in seems like a tremendous waste of resources because you could have called in just about any former qb that played big time college or nfl ball and got the same results.

I don't know where this "Ian was crap, but Cam and Rex are gods" stuff is coming from, but its bs. You're talking about Ian as if he's David Ortiz (The Madden 06 dev, not the baseball player for you youngins) and that simply just was not the case. He was as committed to making a sim football game as any dev. In the end tho, it wasn't a lack of knowledge or lack of desire that caused it to fail. It was a lack of control.

With all due respect to the current devs, they haven't shown me jack in regards to what they are planning. They're just talking, but you take their WORD at it, yet you say Ian wasn't on their level when he showed VIDEO of these things in engine. Keep trying and one day you will be a gcer. Hopefully then, we won't see posts like some of the ones posted from you in this thread.
I totally agree! Ian was awesome, I miss him so much! He was far and away the most transparent Madden dev in the past decade and the Madden that was his baby (M10) was a huge step up from its predecessor. He was always showing cool tidbits and showing how much he wanted Madden to be really, really good. The time or two I've heard him on the Press Row Podcast (even when he wasn't talking about Madden) made me respect him even more and realize how much he wanted Madden to be great (not to mention he seems like a really cool guy).

My man crush aside, I'm not (just) trying to start an Ian fan club, it's just don't want to hear him get beat up out of JP's sheer love for this dev team. It's not fair and I bet it's contradictory.

Last edited by The_Balm; 07-16-2014 at 01:38 AM.
The_Balm is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #96
Donny Baseball!
 
Skyboxer's Arena
 
OVR: 55
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 20,221
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
We may not always interact, but I promise you we are always reading.
Tiered play calling, new passing mechanics and a real coach mode....


Thanks for reading
__________________
Joshua:
"D.O.D. pension files indicate current mailing as: Dr. Robert Hume,
a.k.a. Stephen W. Falken, 5 Tall Cedar Road, Goose Island, Oregon"


Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
Skyboxer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 AM.

Top -