Home

Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

This is a discussion on Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #113
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
That's great that they are going to work on things for future titles but I'm more focused on Madden 15 since this is the game we are going to be getting.

Exactly. Until those things are actually in the game it's just talk. This was the same team who led us to believe the E3 footage was how Madden 25 would be. Talk is cheap.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #114
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Sim was the one who made that video and he said what Madden is working on for WR/DB interactions has never been accomplished in a football game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While that sounds good on paper and I hope they pull it off, I can't help but be concerned. Reason being I don't agree with or understand this incessant drive for innovation BEFORE first equaling the best to date. It reminds me of Pinky in the movie Friday After Next when asked if he will put in some money for the cause, "I got something for you that's better than money". Ok, you might but give me the money first than let me decide which is better, lol.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #115
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I don't [...] understand this incessant drive for innovation
Because it's the video game industry and that's what's required to stay relevant and solvent. Innovate or die.

To elaborate - the average video game consumer isn't going to buy the annual Madden upgrade on account of better WR/DB interactions, better play calling AI, or foot planting for all 22 players on the field. The average person wants something new to do or interact with which was not possible in the previous game in order to justify the upgrade. Thus, the new running controls from Madden 25, the new defensive controls for Madden 15, and so on. To that end, no one on OS qualifies as an "average video game consumer" with respect to Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #116
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Because it's the video game industry and that's what's required to stay relevant and solvent. Innovate or die.

To elaborate - the average video game consumer isn't going to buy the annual Madden upgrade on account of better WR/DB interactions, better play calling AI, or foot planting for all 22 players on the field. The average person wants something new to do or interact with which was not possible in the previous game in order to justify the upgrade. Thus, the new running controls from Madden 25, the new defensive controls for Madden 15, and so on. To that end, no one on OS qualifies as an "average video game consumer" with respect to Madden.
I totally understand this angle, but I also think the "wow" factor in a game can sell as well. If they had done the player movement over, with these new graphics, and presentation, I think that could've sold Madden just as much. I remember when Madden 2001 dropped, people just seeing that game on display sold PS2's. Same with NFL 2k.

I always wanted EA to market Madden as the NFL, not just an NFL game. Show the game off from broadcast angles, trick people into thinking it's an actual game. I think the average consumer just wants to play something that looks exactly like what they see on television.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #117
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Just in case anyone had doubts about WR/DB interactions being improved in the future

@womalee23: MADDEN 2012 MUST HAVE FLUIDITY FUNDAMENTALS AND Tů: http://t.co/LfJo8tQCo7 @ClintOldenburg how long before we See interaction like this?

@ClintOldenburg: @womalee23 that's a good video of 2K. We haven't worked much on WR/DB in the past, but it's on the horizon I promise you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds promising, I just hope it's all worked on. Wr/db are only half the answer. Look at the route running. It's perfect. It won't work like that with Madden's tethered passing where the wr instantly changes to direction with the ball.

Maddens history is to work on an area without addressing the real issue causing it. Improved Route running and wr/db interaction won't impress anyone without route based passing. That's when maddenball will start to look more like football.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #118
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

Yet none of that invalidates or rebuttals, Reason being I don't agree with or understand this incessant drive for innovation BEFORE first equaling the best to date., with the bold being key for context.

If I concede your point that aspects like better WR/DB interactions, better play calling AI, or foot planting for all 22 players on the field, aren't selling points for the general populace, then it would seem to me that they either get those areas solid/the best to date while truly innovating areas that appeal to the general populace, ie MUT, Online Ranked, Gauntlets, etc or if resources won't permit doing both, get those aformentioned areas solid/the best to date yet market that as innovation. Granted the latter has and will cause more savvy gamers to point out it's not actually new or innovative but that hasn't stop them from doing it before in Madden.

People may have rumblings of "same ole same ole" but at the end of the day if it works well and isn't a regression from what they've had before, they're satisfied. I don't see how some of the actual new additions to Madden over the years can be classified as "innovation" anyway if whatever it is doesn't work as intended and/or is a regression of what was done in the past.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #119
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Yet none of that invalidates or rebuttals, Reason being I don't agree with or understand this incessant drive for innovation BEFORE first equaling the best to date., with the bold being key for context.

If I concede your point that aspects like better WR/DB interactions, better play calling AI, or foot planting for all 22 players on the field, aren't selling points for the general populace, then it would seem to me that they either get those areas solid/the best to date while truly innovating areas that appeal to the general populace, ie MUT, Online Ranked, Gauntlets, etc or if resources won't permit doing both, get those aformentioned areas solid/the best to date yet market that as innovation. Granted the latter has and will cause more savvy gamers to point out it's not actually new or innovative but that hasn't stop them from doing it before in Madden.

People may have rumblings of "same ole same ole" but at the end of the day if it works well and isn't a regression from what they've had before, they're satisfied. I don't see how some of the actual new additions to Madden over the years can be classified as "innovation" anyway if whatever it is doesn't work as intended and/or is a regression of what was done in the past.

Isn't it a failure on the marketing department if they can't market their product to reel in new and retain existing customers? A talented marketing team is suppose to be able to successfully market a simulation game, or any subtlties to casuals. A talented marketing team should be able to take "WR/DB interactions, better play calling AI, or foot planting for all 22 players on the field" market, bait and hook the casual gamer.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #120
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Just in case anyone had doubts about WR/DB interactions being improved in the future

@womalee23: MADDEN 2012 MUST HAVE FLUIDITY FUNDAMENTALS AND Tů: http://t.co/LfJo8tQCo7 @ClintOldenburg how long before we See interaction like this?

@ClintOldenburg: @womalee23 that's a good video of 2K. We haven't worked much on WR/DB in the past, but it's on the horizon I promise you.
Why would this lessen any doubts I have? A GC and a developer making promises, that is par for the course. I actually think Clint is a straight shooter and I think they intend to work on these thing, but sometimes things are said with all the intentions in the world but the end results are not equal to the vision.

I can say I want 6 pack abs and I work out everyday but they aren't there yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »