Home

Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

This is a discussion on Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #185
Banned
 
Big FN Deal's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Aug 2011
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Thats not the only demo. There are more people in the "I like the NFL but dont know what hot routes, bump and run and A gaps are" demo then in the hardcore demo that resides at OS. That demo doesnt care about realistic lineman interaction/wr/db interaction/linebackers hitting the right gap. They dont care about the lack of pass interference penalties. I'm not saying that they would object to EA make those improvements. I'm just saying that those arent things that will sell them on a game.

Also and this isnt a shot at you Bucky but I'm sick of people here acting as if Madden has no realism. Like we are playing Mutant League Football or something. The game isnt as realistic as the Show or NBA 2k can be (they only reach the realism threshold with slider tweaks and ratings adjustments) but it is somewhat realistic.
If Madden and more specifically certain elements of it, aren't as realistic as other video games in its' genre, that's a big issue and it's reasonable to classify the game as not realistic enough. Video games are partly judged by their contemporaries and predecessors, as well as their genre, both of which Madden has clear issues in.

I notice people acting like there is no standard for realism and it's all subjective but that's bunk because people aren't just saying "x is terrible in Madden just because it's not enough like real life", they're saying "x is terrible in Madden because it's inferior to the way another or other sim video games have replicated real life", the latter being a much more fair and objective point.

Last edited by Big FN Deal; 07-17-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Big FN Deal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #186
Banned
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
You're focusing way too much on this.
Then use better examples. Which brings us back to "other game in the exact same Genre" don't sacrifice reasonable realism for accessibility. The other games are still accessible and interesting. Other games in the exact same Genre have a sim and arcade mode. You can't use accessibility as a reason Madden should exclude the same kind of realism as those other sports titles.
bucky60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #187
MVP
 
Danimal's Arena
 
OVR: 21
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,146
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I understand but he would have said no we didn't get to those things or something like that, he says it a lot to my questions.
Oh I see that is why his message didn't make sense to the rest of us. We don't have the ability to climb into Clint's head and know what his response would of been if they hadn't worked on it.

Makes perfect sense.
Danimal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #188
(aka Alberto)
 
aholbert32's Arena
 
OVR: 44
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 32,888
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
So basically what you are saying is, you wish they would not use the word simulation to support your argument to make you right as opposed to the people who disagree? Makes sense... The game is marketed as a simulation, the developers are always preaching authenticity and realism all over social media and the creative director for game play has said it 100 times himself, even on these forums. That's the standard they are being held to and that is the standard they have set themselves.
Look, I dont give a **** about my argument. The game is what it is. You know its not a simulation. They know its not a simulation and no matter how much the devs talk about that being a goal....we all know its BS.

I've been playing this game for 20 plus years. Thats probably 5 or 6 dev teams. I bet I can find articles or posts where each lead developer whether its David Ortiz or Ian or this new team talks about making the game more realistic and sim like....and none of them do it.

So after a while it becomes fool me once, shame on you. When I buy Madden, I know what I'm getting and I know what I'm not getting. I'm not getting accurate penalties. I'm not getting WR/DB interaction. I'm not getting hyper realistic sim stats. I know that in order to make the game even close to a simulation, I have to adjust ratings and slider tweak and it still wont be that close to a sim.

But to complain about them using "simulation" as a marketing tool is silly. We know why they use it and we know that the game is never going to reach that standard for multiple reasons.
aholbert32 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #189
Banned
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I wish EA would never use the word "simulation" to describe Madden again. That way people cant use that as a reason to complain about the game not reaching their realism standard. Everybody here knows that Madden isnt and isnt trying to be a pure simulation. Its trying to be a video game that has some realistic elements.
Then it will never have the quality of those other sports video games. Unless those other games take steps backwards to meet madden. I'm actually glad they did say sim. It at least gives some hope that Madden might reach the level of those other sports games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I've been playing this game for 20 plus years. Thats probably 5 or 6 dev teams. I bet I can find articles or posts where each lead developer whether its David Ortiz or Ian or this new team talks about making the game more realistic and sim like....and none of them do it.
I would have a hard time disagreeing with this. I guess we want what we want and we want to try and get it. Especially when others are able to give us what we want.

Last edited by bucky60; 07-17-2014 at 01:06 PM.
bucky60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #190
MVP
 
mestevo's Arena
 
OVR: 33
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 18,506
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Yeah, keep bouncing from extreme to extreme, that's why he suggested it, the politics-style partisan discussions that result from people keying on a word or phrase to just rail on their agenda or some self-fulfilling opinion of how bad the game will be. Their philosophy and efforts can and should to some degree be angled towards simulation, but not excluding the majority of their gamers in the process where possible.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
mestevo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #191
Banned
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jan 2008
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I see your point but the demo I described earlier doesnt care about any of those things. Every year, I see people her on OS complain about the simmed stats in franchise. "There are too many passing TDs." "passing yardgae numbers are too high." "where are the half tackles and sacks". Every year, I think......most people dont give a **** about that stuff and thats why it isnt fixed.

I am somewhat neurotic when it comes to basketball games and every one praises NBA 2k but you know what? Their simmed stats have been screwed for 5 years. Points, assists and rebound numbers are always too low. Not enough simmed high scoring games. Even with my neurosis, I recognize it and move on because I realize their target audience doesnt know or care so they wont fix it.
Always too low, OK. How low? In Madden, I consistently see starting QB's with around 40% pass completion. That goes well beyond too low. Yet played games the pass completion % is staggeringly high.

Wanting simmed QB's pass % to be somewhere in the ballpark of realistic isn't being neurotic. Around 40%? I see that way too often with non user controlled teams simmed games.
bucky60 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #192
All Star
 
jpdavis82's Arena
 
OVR: 21
Join Date: Sep 2005
Re: Review Fix: Rex Dickson and Brian Murray Talk Madden 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Look, I dont give a **** about my argument. The game is what it is. You know its not a simulation. They know its not a simulation and no matter how much the devs talk about that being a goal....we all know its BS.

I've been playing this game for 20 plus years. Thats probably 5 or 6 dev teams. I bet I can find articles or posts where each lead developer whether its David Ortiz or Ian or this new team talks about making the game more realistic and sim like....and none of them do it.

So after a while it becomes fool me once, shame on you. When I buy Madden, I know what I'm getting and I know what I'm not getting. I'm not getting accurate penalties. I'm not getting WR/DB interaction. I'm not getting hyper realistic sim stats. I know that in order to make the game even close to a simulation, I have to adjust ratings and slider tweak and it still wont be that close to a sim.

But to complain about them using "simulation" as a marketing tool is silly. We know why they use it and we know that the game is never going to reach that standard for multiple reasons.
You're not getting wr/DB interactions YET but they're already working on them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Josh-Been playin' Madden since '92

Want something in Madden added or fixed? Vote for it here http://www.ranker.com/list/top-reque...WlKfF9iZbujQ.0

Madden 15 will be the turning point of the Madden franchise
jpdavis82 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.

Top -