Home

Jump Balls in M15

This is a discussion on Jump Balls in M15 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5
Jump Balls in M15

I was watching the NFL top 100 last night and the one thing I thought about during the AJ/CJ clips were "If I threw that in Madden, it would get picked 9/10." A lot of jump ball situation where the receiver's size was simply too much for the DB to match. In Madden 15 will 5'9 DBs still jump as high as a 6'5 WR or is height actually going to impact jump ball situations?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Jump Balls in M15

Well, I don't know. But looking at that "gauntlet" video that came out today, I'd say jump balls do seem more dynamic and interactive.

Granted, it looks like the DB comes down with the pick, like you were hoping wouldn't be the case, but at least it looked pretty believable. The ball seemed a little under thrown too.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #3
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0

Being that there are no WR/DB interactions, I will assume that WR's will still not attack the ball at it's highest point, and DB's will still have more right to the ball in the air than WR's, no matter the size difference.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

I miss being able to turn around and square up with WRs to go after the ball with strafing. Then again... I miss a lot of the things Madden used to do well.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #5
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
I miss being able to turn around and square up with WRs to go after the ball with strafing. Then again... I miss a lot of the things Madden used to do well.
That, was a basic, fundamental feature. But they removed it cause the tourney guys were complaining about rocket catches. Instead of making it better, they just removed it. Go figure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicVirtue
That, was a basic, fundamental feature. But they removed it cause the tourney guys were complaining about rocket catches. Instead of making it better, they just removed it. Go figure.
It wasn't just the tourney guys complaining, RC was an issue across the board for H2H play. To your point though, instead of fundamentally addressing it they took it out. In hindsight, it probably would have been better to just allow an option to disable WR straffing in H2H play, until the core problem could be fixed.

I think a main issue with jump balls, like with RC, is the lack of animations to represent a process for securing/gaining possession of the football for a catch. There's very few players in the real NFL out there snatching balls out the air, like seemingly just about any player can do in Madden. If they would represent that process of securing those type catches and differentiate player's capability of that skill, along with them being able to successfully come down with the ball, this aspect of the game would be much better, imo.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

For real jump balls Madden would need a real physics engine. Where the players and ball operate independently. Like on FIFA when players bump into each other they interact based on physics not animations. Madden is based off animations so we won't have true jump balls. Just players both doing catch animations near each other unless they combine into one animation of a swat/tackle.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

I just need better catch animations and receiver awareness. It just sad sometimes how DB's and safety's undercut balls and receivers just keep running and go into catch animations like robots.

I guess it really just breaks down still to the arcade movements and interactions. This focus on user control without enough penalty will never result in a realistic game.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »