Home

Madden NFL 15 Trailer and Screenshots - Player Sense 2.0

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Trailer and Screenshots - Player Sense 2.0 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #41
MVP

CT Pitbull's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden NFL 15 Trailer - Player Sense 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Unfortunately for me, it didn't do much. I immediately saw two situations where a defender was standing completely still, flat footed doing nothing. That would never be the case. Even if that defender, in this case it's a corner, is responsible for backside contain, he's going to creep up near the line of scrimmage or he's simply going to attack it. If not that, he would help out in coverage. I just don't understand how they don't see that happen and don't address it. It's been in the game for years. This clip was only a couple of minutes and I saw it twice.

EDIT: if you look at the 31 second mark, the corner and MLB are standing still. Graphics look really nice.

Yup. This is my #1 pet peeve in Maddens zone coverage for years now and it is clear that flat-footed defenders have made their way to M15 as well unfortunately. As a former player I was always taught "once you stop your feet, you get beat!" Standing still flat footed is a cardinal sin on a football field it doesn't matter if the play is 30 yards away. A good defenders feet are always moving from snap to whistle.

Last edited by CT Pitbull; 07-17-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #42
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
Graphics are really nice but this is looking like an ugly game in motion. WR/DB interaction looks better though.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #43
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden NFL 15 Trailer and Screenshots - Player Sense 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I didn't like it. I don't like how the receivers run their routes and break down with more realistic steps, but the db's take one step and turn on a dime. I don't like that receivers have to go through the animation, but the db animation is shortened just to make plays on the ball. It's better than what we've had, but still kinda cheap.

This new defense definitely doesn't work well with the receivers being on "rails". I can see myself being frustrated, not because the defense is tougher, but because it doesn't seem fair. DB's are attacking the ball, and receivers are just on their predetermined path.
I definitely feel this, yet considering Rex acknowledged that WR/DB interaction still needs to be specifically addressed next year, hopefully those issues will be taken into account then. Though I'm weary of giving any kind of benefit of the doubt with how Madden will play out before it's released, my hope is that while nowhere near where it needs to be, these incremental additions in M15 will at least deter bad QB play and promote more running, field position emphasis.

I saw the same things you mentioned and while it's cheap the way defenders can bypass breaking down to stay close, if it results in passing windows being tighter, so timing and presnap decisions are more effective than just ad libbing every pass play post snap, that's a positive, imo.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #44
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Madden NFL 15 Trailer - Player Sense 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
I'm sorry but how in the world did the browns play look awkward? That was a perfect swat.

"Bicep Curl" Forearm Swat vs "Arm Extension" Finger Tipped balls.

It's not about the play itself but the way it's animated.

It's the way the overall animation looks. It's awkward. The forearm, upper arm position relative to the torso, and legs positioned. I would liked to have seen a left hand extension tip in the instance (browns). Not a swat, but a tip.

Most of the swat animations lack arm extension is what I see. I often see the "bicep curl" preceding the swat is what's awkward with a lot of these Madden defensive back or even linebacker swat animations. If you can do a "bicep curl," it means the ball is usually in a position where an interception could have been made. I personally would like to see fully extended arms with their hands/finger tipping the ball rather than these swat animations.

Finger tipped balls would look more authentic in the sense that the defender was not in position to intercept. Tipped balls means he was out of position and had to recover as best as he could.

Play 2 (seahawks). This is a good example. More difficult to tell on the browns play #3. The seahawks defensive back was in position to make an interception, but has that initial bicep curl pose to swat the ball.

Side Note: (Unless I'm mistaken, I also tended to see more right hand swats than left handed swat in Madden gameplay footage. I might be wrong here.)
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 07-17-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #45
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0

Everything sounds great in concept, but immediately the robotic movement stuck out to me in just the 1st few seconds. Looking at how Sherman broke on the ball, actually speeding up inside the animation. Looks nasty. But hey, maybe nxt year they'll do player movement, or the next year
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #46
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I didn't like it. I don't like how the receivers run their routes and break down with more realistic steps, but the db's take one step and turn on a dime. I don't like that receivers have to go through the animation, but the db animation is shortened just to make plays on the ball. It's better than what we've had, but still kinda cheap.

This new defense definitely doesn't work well with the receivers being on "rails". I can see myself being frustrated, not because the defense is tougher, but because it doesn't seem fair. DB's are attacking the ball, and receivers are just on their predetermined path.
Here's where we come back to the problem of a yearly release. They clearly had to do something to improve the defenders but like you said they took a shortcut instead of overhauling the entire receiver/defender engine. I am glad they did something though because we all know how useless defenders were on default settings last year.

But you see like when Berry (i tihink) intercepts Gronk. Gronk just goes into a catch animation at the same time as Berry but he's clearly in no position to catch it with berry in front of him. In real life Gronk would use his Player Sense 5.0 to realize he just got cut in front of and attack the ball or the defender.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #47
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I definitely feel this, yet considering Rex acknowledged that WR/DB interaction still needs to be specifically addressed next year, hopefully those issues will be taken into account then. Though I'm weary of giving any kind of benefit of the doubt with how Madden will play out before it's released, my hope is that while nowhere near where it needs to be, these incremental additions in M15 will at least deter bad QB play and promote more running, field position emphasis.

I saw the same things you mentioned and while it's cheap the way defenders can bypass breaking down to stay close, if it results in passing windows being tighter, so timing and presnap decisions are more effective than just ad libbing every pass play post snap, that's a positive, imo.
They are hyping up how balanced Madden is so we shall see. I am hoping that pass defenses actually defend the pass but leave you vulnerable to the run. So these DBs making swats is cool and all but they better not be like LBs in the run game. Same for LBs in the pass game, they better not be covering WRs just because of this defensive boost.

The way I play I always switch on defense to manually swat/int/tackle anyway so my favorite part was the flat coverage. Was a HUGE hole in my defense in Madden 25 and wasn't a thing I could do about it.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #48
MVP

StefJoeHalt's Arena

OVR: 0

I like the idea and I know we been harping on this..but aren't they working backwards here..and this is what I mean..shouldn't player movement ie animations (including DB, linemen, linebackers, etc) be fixed first..cause once they "fix" the movement..all the stuff they have done now to bandaid it..will have to be redone.. Player sense wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rule #1: Never leave a fellow Crasher behind. Crashers take care of their own.
Rule #2: Never use your real name.
Rule #15: Fight the urge to tell the truth.
Rule #30: Know the playbook so you can call an audible.
Twitter: @318TA621

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »