Home

Let's talk about player movement!

This is a discussion on Let's talk about player movement! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Include Brand New Swing Mechanics, Three Click Swing Returns
FIFA 22 Gameplay: Breaking Down the Latest Details
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #17
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Let's talk about player movement!

Comparing Madden to this photo of Moss in his release stance leaves me w one conclusion: Madden does have the proportions closento accurate however there strides are extremely exaggerated for all players but mainly RBs and WRs/TEs.

Spoiler

I am quite flummoxed at this pt cause it does seem the proportions are off in Madden but other pictures tell me othererwise.

In respect to true step, a more realistic stride length out of release, during routes, out of the backfield, and while carrying the ball could all add to a more realistic acceleration times.

In short, my eyes tell me the yards are too short and players are too lanky from the torso down but my logic tells me that we need shorter stride animations for acceleration and deceleration: (short, choppy strides into and out of cuts) and for lateral movements: offensive linemen chopping and using a tighter shuffle.

Let me know what your eyes and your numbers tell you.

Perhaps weight needs to be added to these player models so we have some form of inertia and momentum to work with.

I would personally like to see the game represented at a fast speed while the players themselves move (accelerate and sprint) with some drag to them.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #18
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspring3
Like wordtobigbird said above, slow and very slow are more indicative of real life timing, anything normal and above are made faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its the only 2 speeds I play Madden on......i pray to god they haven't yanked that out of the game
Old 07-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 15

If the game was programmed correctly we really shouldn't need separate game speeds. Obviously options for users are always good, but most play on slower game speeds to compensate for herky jerky (hummingbird) player movement and animations. When EA finally sorts this out I do not believe anyone will feel the need for different game speeds.

Just a note- Hummingbird movement was a term used on these forums often around Madden 11 and 12. When you think about it, it's a great analogy for how the players movement and animations look/feel in Madden.

The good news is it appears Rex and his team are adding a lot of the little gameplay improvements that will go a long way to making Madden great again. (See his recent stream) I would have to believe they are tackling these larger problems behind the scenes and when these large issues are resolved, it should layer in nicely to the current improvements and vastly improve the game.

If that is the approach, I like it... Just wish it was all happening faster.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymeeAwesome
Anyone ever consider that the length of the field may not be 100% proportional to the size and strides of the player? Maybe that's what throwing off all these times speeds
Yes it's been considered and discussed many times, even asked directly to EAGCs and Madden devs, all of which kept claiming the field and players are to scale. Maybe this question should again be put to the current dev team via Twitter and ask for something verifying that the players/field are to scale in Madden.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #21
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
If the game was programmed correctly we really shouldn't need separate game speeds. Obviously options for users are always good, but most play on slower game speeds to compensate for herky jerky (hummingbird) player movement and animations. When EA finally sorts this out I do not believe anyone will feel the need for different game speeds.

Just a note- Hummingbird movement was a term used on these forums often around Madden 11 and 12. When you think about it, it's a great analogy for how the players movement and animations look/feel in Madden.

The good news is it appears Rex and his team are adding a lot of the little gameplay improvements that will go a long way to making Madden great again. (See his recent stream) I would have to believe they are tackling these larger problems behind the scenes and when these large issues are resolved, it should layer in nicely to the current improvements and vastly improve the game.

If that is the approach, I like it... Just wish it was all happening faster.

Ian often referred to player movement as water bugs......that still makes me laugh when i do see water bugs....lolol...he was spot on with that analogy...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 28

Good thread and it's something that has really plagued madden for years. The player movement is ridiculously fast. This is part of what gives the game that twitchy, arcadey feel. Everything moves entirely too fast.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I'm willing to accept being called crazy, but part of me feels like the old PS2 era animated movement better in many respects. Obviously the visuals are dated, but I still get far more of a feeling of weight, fluidity, and appropriate body postures during movement. Not perfect, but moreso than I've felt through gen 3, and in the latest footage of Madden 15.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:06 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I'm willing to accept being called crazy...
Well, I won't go THAT far...but I don't agree at all that the PS2 animations for running were even close to OK let alone better than the ones now...

First off, look at your arm right now....pay attention to the distance between your wrist to your elbow...now, go get a football and compare that same distance...finally, re-watch any ball carrier in that video and see how the 'carrying the ball' is represented...that is U-G-L-Y and it ain't got no alibi...its ugly.

Next, look at the ridiculous arm swing on ALL running players and note that none of them are distinguishable between "Has the ball" and "does NOT have the ball". The animations have no variety, they float too much across the field, the depiction of changing directions and cutting is hilariously bad to non-existent...the momentum of the players is laughably bad, the change of direction on impact if totally absent...there's just a whole lot wrong with those animations that make it look really bad to me.

Now, I also think that 2K's animations were chunky and just as bad (in some cases worse) back then and still do today. I see people praise FIFA and bash Madden, but look closer at the two...a lot of the movement IS the same, but the sports are totally different and that makes a HUGE difference. I guess I am more easily satisfied after the abomination that was player locomotion on Madden NFL 2006 on XB360...I still have nightmares about the conga line of defenders running in lock step military formation down the sidelines...(shudder)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »