Home

Let's talk about player movement!

This is a discussion on Let's talk about player movement! within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #25
Lord of Suffering

Darth Aegis's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Let's talk about player movement!

I honestly hate the normal speed of madden, it always feels like a bunch of bumper cars running all over the field way to fast. I always play on very slow, the animations are more detailed, fluid, and just seems like players have more weight to them. Just feels right, on normal you don;t get to see the little details because everything is moving at warp unrealistic arcade speed.

Playing:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #26
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD71
Well, I won't go THAT far...but I don't agree at all that the PS2 animations for running were even close to OK let alone better than the ones now...

First off, look at your arm right now....pay attention to the distance between your wrist to your elbow...now, go get a football and compare that same distance...finally, re-watch any ball carrier in that video and see how the 'carrying the ball' is represented...that is U-G-L-Y and it ain't got no alibi...its ugly.

Next, look at the ridiculous arm swing on ALL running players and note that none of them are distinguishable between "Has the ball" and "does NOT have the ball". The animations have no variety, they float too much across the field, the depiction of changing directions and cutting is hilariously bad to non-existent...the momentum of the players is laughably bad, the change of direction on impact if totally absent...there's just a whole lot wrong with those animations that make it look really bad to me.

Now, I also think that 2K's animations were chunky and just as bad (in some cases worse) back then and still do today. I see people praise FIFA and bash Madden, but look closer at the two...a lot of the movement IS the same, but the sports are totally different and that makes a HUGE difference. I guess I am more easily satisfied after the abomination that was player locomotion on Madden NFL 2006 on XB360...I still have nightmares about the conga line of defenders running in lock step military formation down the sidelines...(shudder)
So what football game or game in general do you feel had high quality running animations or representing running in a realistic way?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #27
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
What I have done now is set all sliders for CPU to 1, except for the special team sliders, and I am running the broncos v broncos and I am seeing amazing game play...1 manning is at 90% cmp rating, yes, too high, but the opposing manning is at 60%...

RB Ball for both sides is averaging abour 5 yds a carry...

So you left the user side at 50 and put the CPU side at 1? Penalties at 50 too?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
So what football game or game in general do you feel had high quality running animations or representing running in a realistic way?
Well...2K5 had the stick up the butt uber-upright running animations with the swivel hips. A lot of people rave about how good this looks and I honestly have no idea what they are watching to think that...2K8 was really just refined 2K5 in everyway, including the base running animations.

Madden 06-09 on PS3 was horrible...but Madden 10 was close...but even that game had some weird elements and funky looking stuff in it....

Backbreaker had a few things that looked really nice - and a whole bunch like the "juke/hop" that did not look good at all...

Its not that I consider them all "bad"...the current animations on M25 (PS4) can be excellent at times and really ugly in transitions at others.

Since there is no "perfect" answer to point to, I would say, give me the EA player models, the Backbreaker physics and interactions and weight, the 2K animations (tone down the hip swivel and remove the rigid pole from everyone's posterior) and get the movements to blend better when switching and you would be closer...

Madden's insistence on "twitch" makes it 100% impossible for Madden to EVER get the kind of look and feel that would totally satisfy simulation gamers or even those who just want it to look more realistic. To look really good, the movements have to be scripted and that was using longer playing animations (2K did this a lot and still does with NBA 2K14)...Madden has a large fan base that simply would lose their minds if the core gameplay mechanic of twicthy user controls were to be changed too much...I can't see it ever getting closer than M10 to be honest, and its certainly appears that EA management freaked after that experiment as well.

Last edited by TTD71; 07-20-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #29
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:

Madden 06-09 on PS3 was horrible...but Madden 10 was close...but even that game had some weird elements and funky looking stuff in it....

Good call on Madden 10. Last gen I did '07—which was the worst in so many ways ie gunshot sound on deep passes, '09, which felt dead and stale, '10, 12, and 25. I had the most fun and rewarding experience with '10, and forgot how decent the movement was compared to later and previous iterations. Worth posting this clip. Madden 10 looked pretty nice too.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #30
MVP

DCEBB2001's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I had the most fun and rewarding experience with '10, and forgot how decent the movement was compared to later and previous iterations.
I wonder how much the toning down of the ratings that year had to do with it?

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vide...ory?id=3900806

FBG ratings does the same thing, in a sense, because the ratings are a lot lower for the average NFL player. There are quite a few users out there who have said that it helps the gameplay a bit. CM Hope has been doing quite a bit of research in this regard.
NFL Scout
www.nfldraftscout.com/members

Petition to EA for FBG Ratings:
https://www.change.org/p/ea-sports-t...bers-index-php
Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #31
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
...CM Hope...
Unless I'm missing something, I do believe its CM Hooe.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 PM   #32
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21
Let's talk about player movement!

Quote:
Well...2K5 had the stick up the butt uber-upright running animations with the swivel hips. A lot of people rave about how good this looks and I honestly have no idea what they are watching to think that...2K8 was really just refined 2K5 in everyway, including the base running animations.

Backbreaker had a few things that looked really nice - and a whole bunch like the "juke/hop" that did not look good at all...

Its not that I consider them all "bad"...the current animations on M25 (PS4) can be excellent at times and really ugly in transitions at others.

Since there is no "perfect" answer to point to, I would say, give me the EA player models, the Backbreaker physics and interactions and weight, the 2K animations (tone down the hip swivel and remove the rigid pole from everyone's posterior) and get the movements to blend better when switching and you would be closer...

Madden's insistence on "twitch" makes it 100% impossible for Madden to EVER get the kind of look and feel that would totally satisfy simulation gamers or even those who just want it to look more realistic. To look really good, the movements have to be scripted and that was using longer playing animations (2K did this a lot and still does with NBA 2K14)...Madden has a large fan base that simply would lose their minds if the core gameplay mechanic of twicthy user controls were to be changed too much...I can't see it ever getting closer than M10 to be honest, and its certainly appears that EA management freaked after that experiment as well.
I'm guessing you didn't see the stream Friday? If they're willing to eliminate running around and chucking the ball and making pass accuracy more realistic, they are willing to change locomotion too. The goal is for all 22 players to move realistically. Go back to Cam's original statement. Cam is Rex's boss but their vision for the game is very similar, they both want authenticity, almost to the point where they are willing to eliminate some of their fan base. If they are hell bent on eliminating exploits and money plays, they know they will lose some people but gain others at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jpdavis82; 07-20-2014 at 11:52 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »