Home

EA's Face Scanning Tech

This is a discussion on EA's Face Scanning Tech within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
Banned

JetLife6's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA's Face Scanning Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsFan2013
Not sure why they scan the entire head. They should just scan the face, which is the only part you see during the game anyways, and fill the rest up and add hair to the back. But I'm no expert, maybe they have it right.
I think scanning the whole head makes it an easier transition to achieve photo realistic results. EA just scanning the face means that they are probably placing and moving around features to appear proportionate. Who knows tho.

EA's setup being portable doesn't really help their case.. 2k has much more face scans in nba than ea has in madden or nhl
Old 07-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
Rookie

btvs's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm excited Madden we'll have more real face scans in the game. Now we just need to get rid of that black silhouettes for players who don't have pictures, it takes away the realism... We are on next gen now, I wouldn't mind if they brought back the CGI faces, they would probably looks pretty realistic at this point.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFem09
as a Dolphins fan, it was annoying that they had the wrong face/hair for Ryan Tannehill in last year's game. hopefully its fixed. they did have his cadence down though, with the GO-GO crap
Yeah he looked nothing like his real self. They could have gone ultra generic with a blond buzzcut and still done better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Rookie

totalpoop's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by btvs
I'm excited Madden we'll have more real face scans in the game. Now we just need to get rid of that black silhouettes for players who don't have pictures, it takes away the realism... We are on next gen now, I wouldn't mind if they brought back the CGI faces, they would probably looks pretty realistic at this point.
totally agree by year 5 all your players are just silhouettes c'mon
Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
MVP

Gman 18's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalpoop
totally agree by year 5 all your players are just silhouettes c'mon
What do you mean? Ever since madden 12, the players in each draft class had portraits but they were not really that accurate. Examples of this would be there would be a portrait of a player with short hair and his player model would have dreadlocks or the portrait would be of a white guy and the player model would be a black guy or vise versa

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

The one major missing component of the picture is context. Is the 2K picture being taken at their studio? Is the EA one being taken offsite somewhere? Could explain the differences in tech.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
The one major missing component of the picture is context. Is the 2K picture being taken at their studio? Is the EA one being taken offsite somewhere? Could explain the differences in tech.
The 2k photo wasnt taken in their studio. It was taken in Vegas. The difference is EA's tech is completely portable. Meaning that it requires very little setup. As you can see 2k's requires significant space so while they can travel to different cities and set it up, its not as easy to travel with.

Whats interesting is that EA used tech similar to 2k's when they made their UFC game. Because of the size of the tech, they had to setup scans for events like International Fight Week and major UFC cards when they knew tons of UFC fighters would be there to be scanned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
The 2k photo wasnt taken in their studio. It was taken in Vegas. The difference is EA's tech is completely portable. Meaning that it requires very little setup. As you can see 2k's requires significant space so while they can travel to different cities and set it up, its not as easy to travel with.

Whats interesting is that EA used tech similar to 2k's when they made their UFC game. Because of the size of the tech, they had to setup scans for events like International Fight Week and major UFC cards when they knew tons of UFC fighters would be there to be scanned.
I see. Interesting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »