Home

Madden NFL 15 Blog & Screenshots - Tackling Mechanic

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Blog & Screenshots - Tackling Mechanic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:31 AM   #17
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden NFL 15 Blog & Screenshots - Tackling Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCub
And to that I say, so what? I want a football sim and realistic gameplay. I want to play against people and let the deciding factor be our knowledge of the game of football and not decided by who's better on the sticks. Yes, I want to control my team but if a mechanic is there to make sure I don't dive at thin air then I'm all for it. My reactions aren't as good as they were when I was in my teens and twenties but I still wanna play a good game of football. What sports game out there doesn't have these types of helper mechanics? And just like in those games, you can turn off the tackle cone and all the helpers if you so desire. Personally, I'd rather not whiff on my tackles.
Pretty much how I see it, no NFL defender that's within a reasonable proximity to the ball carrier is going to dive the opposite way, for instance. That's an extreme but it's a similar point they made in the stream when explaining the tackle cone. The closet thing I can think to relate it to is doing a layup or dunk in a basketball video game by pressing the shot button when close enough to the goal/hoop.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:48 AM   #18
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

We have heat-seeker, OP shoestring tackles, tackle cone, agressive & conservative tackle buttons and now match tackling?

I personally see trucking was OP in 25 bc the combinatin of heat-seeker and precision truck allowed both players to intensely magnetize and as a result T-Off on eachother!.

I miss the days of juking - M25 was basically big hits vs big trucks. I dig the new tackle buttons and steeeing assists albeit defenders need to be vulnerable to fakeouts and have their momentum take them out.

The back juke is there and you can juke decently left to right on special teams but through the tackle box?

These tacklers are becoming heat-seeking missiles universally and that kills authenticity; I welcome tackle errors within context and not to silly extremes like 45º dives the wrong way but a missed open field tackle due to a fakeout or sudden change direction is welcomed.

Why not just program better pursuit paths for defenders? Why do I need to turn on Heat-Seeker to assist me? I should be able to suffice on my own so long as the ball-carrier was in my range but to attempt a tackle in close range only to go 45º the wrong way due to no fakeout but poor programming under the hood.

Player Intelligence can replace these layers of assists, so can a more grounded and stabilized run game that does not cause defenders to dive at air due to the slightest herk or jerk in movements.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 07-23-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:07 AM   #19
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Pretty much how I see it, no NFL defender that's within a reasonable proximity to the ball carrier is going to dive the opposite way, for instance. That's an extreme but it's a similar point they made in the stream when explaining the tackle cone. The closet thing I can think to relate it to is doing a layup or dunk in a basketball video game by pressing the shot button when close enough to the goal/hoop.
Agree. At some point, for the sake of "Sim"/"Realism" or whatever you want to call it, the User needs some help/guidance for certain things.

People will argue this issue on both sides and that's fine.

For me one area, where I very rarely see anyone chiming in (even pro user control people), is the passing.
The huge, IMO, area of football that begs to be overhauled to give the user more control, is the passing.
Fever had a nice system with Read and Lead and was pretty close and just needed some tweaking to get it dialed in.

Year after year people are ok with the hit X for X system.
Not saying replace it but, like Fever, give us the option to use a "throw anywhere" system,

This is coming from someone who is well past the "stick skill" mentality and prefer if Madden had a real coach mode. However in my offline games I sometimes like to use more control.
just saying it's 2014 and we basically are using the same core passing system since forever.
Madden on AppleIIe had a throw anywhere system that I loved! Albeit dated by todays standards lol
Anyways..just saying OPTIONS.

Ok.. my yearly mini rant about the same ole same ole passing system is completed for another year.
Back to tackling...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 07-23-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 1
I'll have to wait and see...to me this sounds like we are going backwards. I thought the ignite technology was designed to make the tackles more random and realistic...now we are going back to animated tackles? I could be mis-reading but I feel this is a step backward in the realism category.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #21
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

The cone has three parts to it. I assume if it uses an animation depending what part of the "cone" the ball carrier is in. I think this would solve any warping issues and make for a nice animation plus eliminating the users who try to abuse the ai and swerve.

Also it seems that if you are farther away, it dives like it used to so you can't make a tackle from a far distance without diving thus I assume eliminates warping.

Also on Jrs point, I think the ball carrier always had the ability to avoid tackles pretty easily. With the jukes, spins, trucking not requiring you to really slow down, made this too easy to avoid 1 on 1 tackles especially on CPU. I think could make people juke right as someone goes for a tackle and seeing more missed tackles but slowing the ball carrier since he made contact instead of how it is now and they don't break stride.

Last edited by TheBleedingRed21; 07-23-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Agree. At some point, for the sake of "Sim"/"Realism" or whatever you want to call it, the User needs some help/guidance for certain things.

People will argue this issue on both sides and that's fine.

For me one area, where I very rarely see anyone chiming in (even pro user control people), is the passing.
The huge, IMO, area of football that begs to be overhauled to give the user more control, is the passing.
Fever had a nice system with Read and Lead and was pretty close and just needed some tweaking to get it dialed in.

Year after year people are ok with the hit X for X system.
Not saying replace it but, like Fever, give us the option to use a "throw anywhere" system,

This is coming from someone who is well past the "stick skill" mentality and prefer if Madden had a real coach mode. However in my offline games I sometimes like to use more control.
just saying it's 2014 and we basically are using the same core passing system since forever.
Madden on AppleIIe had a throw anywhere system that I loved! Albeit dated by todays standards lol
Anyways..just saying OPTIONS.

Ok.. my yearly mini rant about the same ole same ole passing system is completed for another year.
Back to tackling...
I would love this and really want them to have an organic physics system for the ball. I want to see balls thrown high when the qb throws off his back foot, passes sailing low and wide when on the run, etc. Everything hits either the defender or receiver currently. It has not advanced much at all.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
I would love this and really want them to have an organic physics system for the ball. I want to see balls thrown high when the qb throws off his back foot, passes sailing low and wide when on the run, etc. Everything hits either the defender or receiver currently. It has not advanced much at all.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
I have high hopes for Madden15. The accuracy and errant passes seem a lot better. As long as they keep improving I'll be happy. . But I still want more options in the passing game.
Reason I still have Fever.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 8
I have to give them credit for the approach they took to make tackling better. If you asked me what I think should be worked on, tackling mechanics would be very far down on the list. To be honest I never had a problem with the way tackling was done but now that they have laid out the issues many people have and the improvements made, I am impressed with how they see user control. If anything, this makes me excited to see what they do in the future with things like passing and catching.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »