Home

Formation subs

This is a discussion on Formation subs within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Formation subs

There are a number of eyerolling complaints far down on the priority list that I don't care one way or the other about.

But this one is as legitimate of a complaint as any. Even more so since NCAA didn't seem to have a problem figuring it out.

How they can go so many years without addressing this is beyond me. Its about as fundamental as it gets. Substitutions and packages are the very core of football.

The Golf Club Published Courses
The OsoV2
Big Leaf of South Texas
Mt. Turner - Island Links
Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Pretty much a consensus on this one, as well as the lack of being able to preset mass subs/strings. This gets even more frustrating when you consider that in the depth chart menu you can choose Punt and Kick returners but not any of the other personnel for special teams.

After all these years isn't there some way to make a checklist of these kind of things to make sure that don't continually go overlooked. Even if that means at least explaining why they aren't in, like with defensive assignments versus seeming like these are things they completely forgot about.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #11
MVP

patriotway's Arena

OVR: 1

I would love to see formation subs back in the game too. It takes too long doing it manually. Trying to get the right players in on special teams is even more frustrating. I at least hope that if it's not in this year's game, they'll consider putting it in the next installment of the game.

Boston Celtics
New England Patriots
Boston Red Sox
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Its such a pain subbing guys out as is. And when you run a 3-4 the 'backup' mlb is a starter, except madden has him on special teams so hes always tired before drives start. You can work around these problems but its a hassle

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 07-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #13
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Formation subs and custom packages are an absolute must. Custom packages alone would solve a lot of those issues but would still be a tad more cumbersome and still leave things like kickoff and punt units out of the loop.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #14
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Going a step further beyond packages and formation subs, I'd like more options on the depth chart - for example: split end, flanker, slot receiver - and I'd like some things changed - for example: replace left / right outside linebacker with weak side / strong side outside linebacker and have them intelligently line up according to the strength of the offense's formation.

The way it's currently set up - particularly for wide receivers - is a mess, given that there are formations in the game which reposition WR1 / WR2 / WR3 in every which way, which may not be ideal. For example, I should be able to specify that I never want Wes Welker on the line of scrimmage (as to avoid a jam off the line and more quickly place into motion since he's off the line) and not have to worry about it, regardless of playbook. To do this, I'd just make him the top slot receiver in a more fleshed-out depth chart; in any formation with a slot receiver (be it Singleback 3WR, I-Form twins, or whatever), Welker would immediately fill in as the top option, and I'd never have to worry about him being up on the line immediately contested by a press corner (as he would be if he were lined up on the line of scrimmage).

Bottom line, I want more complex and more intelligent ways to manage my team's personnel.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #15
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

DL pass rushing subs, nickel LBs, certain WRs and CBs that always line up in the slot when available, short yardage backs, etc are crucial. I want to do it and I want the CPU too. I'd really like it if they could figure out how to use pass catching Rbs and share carries.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1

Loving the all of the news on CC, gameplay and presentation. This Madden is actually going to drive me to upgrade to the XB1.

HOWEVER!

It seems to me in all of the video and stills i've seen on the current version, the Packages feature on the right stick was removed from play calling.

This to me is horrible.
I need a quick and easy way to sub in Joique Bell at the goalline or split out Ebron to the slot. I hope they dont make me use that old clunky sub tool with numbers and multiple button clicks.

Packages worked so well for both offense and defense, why switch it.

Fingers crossed they didnt eliminate a super handy feature. Thoughts? Am I wrong?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »