Home

When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game?

This is a discussion on When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 22: 11 Features to Improve Stadium Creator
MXGP 2021 Review
Football Manager 22 Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 07-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
Rookie

maddog45's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game?

also If they add gap assignments stats WILL matter now. Both physical and fundamental attributes size and weight. How well your player can command double teams, which frees your line backers, and in man on man block situations, and how well a player can they can set the edge force a cut back and run into the weakside linebacker for a kill shot. Gap assignments happen EVERY DOWN forget i ever mentioned every game.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog45
not high on the list? Something thats been in the sport of football forever has to be put on a list? that's absurd, every single play everyone has to play their assignments or their getting torched and benched and replaced by someone who could. This concept should've been in the game from the beginning of the madden.At least if the NFL is gonna be on the games name at least make them play how they're supposed too.
I'm with you on this, but not everyone who watches football every Sunday and watches their favorite teams don't know what gap assignments are. I'll be talking to friends at a bar watching a game and they tell me they don't want to be bothered with that.

Just saying, not everyone that plays Madden is well versed with gap assignments.

That's why I'm for a simple button mechanic, simulation and arcade.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #19
Rookie

HingleMcCringleberry's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm with you on this, but not everyone who watches football every Sunday and watches their favorite teams don't know what gap assignments are. I'll be talking to friends at a bar watching a game and they tell me they don't want to be bothered with that.

Just saying, not everyone that plays Madden is well versed with gap assignments.

Maybe they won't understand it, but they will begin to love it when they can finally stop the 20 Yard per Carry outside runs that the game has allowed for years due to failed gap assignments.

I think the main issue here is that too much of the focus in this game still seems to be going toward ultimate team and other marketing gimmicks. And we all know the reason for that.... $$$
Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

It's actually not all that complicated to be honest. Let me put it in a different perspective. There were football games of the past that had proper gap assignments. Maybe you didn't realize it, or didn't care to notice it, but it was there. Madden's aren't completely broken, but they are not nearly where they should be.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #21
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

There are a lot of advanced assignments that exist on defense alone that folks do not understand but appreciate.

I will say though that a gap also creates a hole for a fire blitz and that is a problem area to adress as well albeit it would be nice to see some stock blitzes work as they should in respect to overloading and stunting w/o getting into any convoluted pre snap procedures.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

When you ask about gap assignments I have to ask what you mean? Madden actually does have "gap assignments" vs the run anyway. They don't have gap pass rush but the game does have gap assignment vs the run. It's very simple. Wherever your defensive lineman lines up that's the gap he's going to take. With that in mind, they need to work more on run assignments pending coverage call especially when the coverage dictates that one of the defenders up front will be responsible for two gaps.

Your classic two high safety coverage for instance will include your CB's as run defenders, but they are not responsible for anything on the interior so if the run is on the interior then one defender is going to be responsible for two gaps. To me this goes more into their linebacker behavior and still centers around the defense being founded on:

Force Player
Spiller
Cutback Player
PA Boot Player

Take a look at the following diagram of a 2 High Safety Coverage call:

Because this is cover 2 with the CB's hugging up against the run both Safeties are the PA Boot Players so their first instinct is going to be pass. The CB's are in run support but cannot help with interior runs. You have 8 gaps with only 7 defenders so one of those front seven defenders will be responsible for two gaps. But notice it's not the line, it's one of the linebackers pending on the point of attack. Notice each defensive lineman has a gap. It's the linebackers here in this cover 2 that will be responsible for more than one gap. One of them will have to become the Force player against the interior run. That means stepping up and filling a hole and taking on the block and not sitting back looking at the lineman come at him. To me it's more about the linebacker behavior for Madden than the defensive line. Either way, it's coverage and assignment based on coverage.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #23
Rookie

PSUEagle's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
When you ask about gap assignments I have to ask what you mean?
I can't speak for others, but for me gap assignments in Madden need to relate to what coverage and front is being played, both of which will dictate the technique played by linemen/linebackers.

On my phone so I won't go into huge detail, but basically I want to see front seven players wrong arm vs. gap schemes when playing a two high coverage, allowing the ball to bounce to force player (CB in Cover 2 and Safety in Cover 4).

Conversely, I want to see force players in a single high defense like Cover 3 always fight to keep their outside arm free, looking to turn any run back inside where the defense will have a +1 advantage in the form of an extra guy from the secondary.

Up front, I want to see linemen aligned directly over an OL (0 Tech, 2 Tech, and 4 Tech) two gap and attempt to stack and shed once the HB declares which side he will go. If a DL is not aligned that way, though, then obviously he is a penetration player who's job is to get upfield more.

Quick note on 1 Gap vs 2 Gap: the latter will be the direction more teams move in over the years to combat the spread run game. You see it in college with Stanford, and even Oregon became a 2 Gap 3-4 once Chip Kelly came on board as OC and started torching their 1 Gap 4-3 in practice with all of the read schemes his offense presents. So having said that, there needs to be a distinction in the game between a 3-4 where the DE lines up outside the tackle (1 Gap 3-4 Wade Phillips style) vs a 3-4 where the DE lines up head up (Eagles, Steelers, and 49ers immediately come to mind).

IMO, virtually every exploit that occurs in Madden is because sound defensive logic has not been programmed from the ground level: the guys making the game instead opt for quick fixes like this "Wide 9" crap as a run stopper for edge runs (lol). Each player should have a simple decision tree based on coverage and front vs. run and pass (i.e. against a kick out I do this, if #2 receiver runs to flat I do that, etc). Have awareness govern how often they execute vs **** up their assignments and call it a day.

Unfortunately, if any of this were going to occur it would have happened now that next gen is up and running. Instead they've decided to build on the legacy of already flawed code from the 360/PS3 era.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUEagle
I can't speak for others, but for me gap assignments in Madden need to relate to what coverage and front is being played, both of which will dictate the technique played by linemen/linebackers.

We are on the same page.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »