Home

When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game?

This is a discussion on When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Game of the Year 2021: Forza Horizon 5
Best Sports Game Trend in 2021: College Sports Coming Back
Best Franchise Mode in 2021: NBA 2K22

Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #41
Rookie

Wolverines05's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: When will madden ever introduce gap assignments in the game?

LBZ, you were one of the chosen to go to tiburon and work with them, no? did you feel that the dev team was aware how football is actually played with all its intricacies? and did you feel your feedback was ever, umm, used i guess?

im hoping they still invite you to events because you truly understand football. were you ever/are you a coach? def might not be a bad idea hah
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverines05
LBZ, you were one of the chosen to go to tiburon and work with them, no? did you feel that the dev team was aware how football is actually played with all its intricacies? and did you feel your feedback was ever, umm, used i guess?

im hoping they still invite you to events because you truly understand football. were you ever/are you a coach? def might not be a bad idea hah
Yes I've been there. When I went some of the guys they have there now was not there. But they had good guys that understood things. It's just coding things vs understanding them doesn't work out smoothly for them it seems. Feedback was implemented, just not completely in a way I liked. Some feedback was changed on the spot, but was not in the final build. That could be due to a host of things that I don't know about. All I know is when I don't see it implemented the way I like, I FEEL like I wasted my time. Not saying I did but it just FEELS that way. The game has pivotal interactions where turns can be made. I think 10 was pivotal but they didn't capitalize on it. 15 could be pivotal but they will need to capitalize. There are some things I don't think they are ever going to do due to their starting position. So I'm trying to stop expecting it.

Coaching stint was short. Wanted to move on to other things, reinvent the self since NFL was out of the picture. That said, I'm amazed with human memory. Some things stick so vividly and can be recalled even now. It's amazing.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:46 AM   #43
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
For this last part, the biggest issue from today vs when some of us played is that teams don't spot drop anymore. They work with match up zone. And because of that then there's most likely not going to be just dropping to a spot and standing around. Your coverage is going to read the offense now and it might actually depending on what the coach wants to do, it might emphasize one player and work around that player. Let me give you an example.

Take this shot from Ole Miss @ Vandy

Rebels are in 2 x 2 personnel set. Defensively what some teams will do out of the gate is declare a READ side to this 2 x 2 set. They will generally have their FS line up on the READ side and then run certain concepts. This is where the Safety and his communication with the other defenders are important. They could go Robber, Quarters, "READ" so on and so forth, whatever their terminology is and base it all on the #2 WR (Slot) to the Read side. For instance the FS might play "Robber" in the sense of playing outside of #2 so that #1 it puts him in great position against outside runs, quick passes to the flats, screens to the HB, Bubble screens so on and so forth. There is a lot to it and this is just not enough space. Also it's pretty hard to describe without talking about what the offense is doing. I just know this, it is no longer dropping to a spot and standing there. It's dividing the offensive formation up, Declaring what side is what, numbering the WR's on each side, and whoever is the key then the zone works off that player.

In other words, it's a lot. That's why most of the time in HS all guys are taught is spot drops because coaches don't want to get too sophisticated with HS students trying to learn all of that. But once they get to college, they have no choice but to learn it.

In the shot above you can tell Vandy has declared the bottom of the screen as the Read side (might not have been Shoops terminology but same idea). Notice where the HIGH safety is lined up and the SHALLOW safety is lined up. If Ole Miss throws a bubble screen/Flanker Screen, which they did quite a bit that night, you got that Safety there to come in and support really fast and he's also there for the quick dip to the HB so on and so forth. One the other side you have a triangle between the High Safety, Outside CB and the linebacker.

Without the tape we don't know who they are keying on. Is it #2 (slot) or is it #1 (flanker)?
Hey we actually did something like pre-snap reads with our defense, but nothing too drastic. If the TE was the last guy on my side of the field, in a cover 3 zone my job was cover the flat. In other instances in the same coverage, if he ran down the seam at the snap, I was to cover him man to man also. Basically when we ran cover 3 the SS either played a spot zone or man covered the TE.

Anyone else do that or something similar in their high school?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
The Lions have used the Wide 9 since Jim Schwartz took over, he previously used it with the Titans and we will probably see it with the Bills at some point. It's effectiveness at stopping the run is largely dependent on the personnel you have on defense. With a Wide 9 you create large running lanes, you have to have good run stopping LB's to fill those lanes and good DTs that can cover multiple gaps.
That's exactly my point. Wide 9 is not a formation that is specifically used to stop the run.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #45
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
That's exactly my point. Wide 9 is not a formation that is specifically used to stop the run.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk
I understood wide9 alignments to be used against empty back spread offenses and on gautanteed pass downs.

I do not see why you would use it as a primary run stuff scheme albeit I see a handful of schemes that work in Madden that do not translate to real life.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #46
Rookie

Wolverines05's Arena

so i got a question about the NT at 0 technique. What does it mean to "command a double team" exactly. Does the offensive line decide to double team the NT because he's so strong? Or is it the path of the NT that causes the double team? When they talk about guys like Mike Martin from Michigan a couple years ago, or rookie Ego Ferguson for the Bears (from LSU) they always mentioned how these guys commanded double teams. What is the nose tackles job though, and how is different than a 3 technique? I was thinking that if the NT is so strong, why not line him up 3 tech and cause havoc going 1 gap as opposed to 2.

So my main questions are:
1. what is the reason behind having to double the NT
2. Why double the NT vs. the DT
3. Are the assignments much different between 3 tech and 0 tech?
Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverines05
so i got a question about the NT at 0 technique. What does it mean to "command a double team" exactly. Does the offensive line decide to double team the NT because he's so strong? Or is it the path of the NT that causes the double team? When they talk about guys like Mike Martin from Michigan a couple years ago, or rookie Ego Ferguson for the Bears (from LSU) they always mentioned how these guys commanded double teams. What is the nose tackles job though, and how is different than a 3 technique? I was thinking that if the NT is so strong, why not line him up 3 tech and cause havoc going 1 gap as opposed to 2.

So my main questions are:
1. what is the reason behind having to double the NT
2. Why double the NT vs. the DT
3. Are the assignments much different between 3 tech and 0 tech?
Im not an authority on this - I was a TE - but I am a pats fan...

The pats like Wilfork because he can control double team blocks and basically set the line of scrimmage. Hes an immovable object. They drafted DEasley cuz he basically did that at Florida. I watched some game film on him and he was blowing up offensive lines and "Commanding" offenses to double team him.

I remember an interview with Wilfork an the interviewer asked why their last opponent had left him unblocked as the 'read' defender. He chuckled and whatever his answer was, was to the effect that he proved it to be silly.

All I know is some guys are NTs because they can still thrive and have an impact against 2 blockers.

EDIT: This thread rules BTW.

Last edited by Primo80; 08-05-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #48
Rookie

Wolverines05's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo80
Im not an authority on this - I was a TE - but I am a pats fan...

The pats like Wilfork because he can control double team blocks and basically set the line of scrimmage. Hes an immovable object. They drafted DEasley cuz he basically did that at Florida. I watched some game film on him and he was blowing up offensive lines and "Commanding" offenses to double team him.

I remember an interview with Wilfork an the interviewer asked why their last opponent had left him unblocked as the 'read' defender. He chuckled and whatever his answer was, was to the effect that he proved it to be silly.

All I know is some guys are NTs because they can still thrive and have an impact against 2 blockers.

EDIT: This thread rules BTW.
so i get that what commanding means, and how, in this case, wilfork's size means he needs to be doubled. but does wilfork himself do something differently than the defensive tackle, that then requires the double team on wilfork? like aside from simply being bigger and stronger? and if the nose is such a threat, why not line him up in 3 technique where he can 1 gap and get a 1 on 1 matchup.

also, i get that the nose lining up 0 in 3-4 will usually 2 gap. but lets say, the ball is snapped, and he fills playside A gap based on a read, (not sure what lineman hes reading exactly..) does he then hit that playside A gap the same way a 1 gap player would attack a gap. Or do 1 gap players actually do something different technique wise from a 2 gap besides the initial read once the ball is snapped.

i may need to explain what i want to ask better.. hah

Last edited by Wolverines05; 08-05-2014 at 08:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »