Home

VSN speaking with Josh Looman on CFM, taking questions now

This is a discussion on VSN speaking with Josh Looman on CFM, taking questions now within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #65
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: VSN speaking with Josh Looman on CFM, taking questions now

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
So guys, what would yall deem as "most critical" to your enjoyment of CFM? I'd love to see how what we think and what they think lines up when we get this CFM info. Personally, I played a few CFMs on M25 but never did more than 2 seasons.

Why? Player progression/team building lacked depth. I wish they could just take FIFA's scouting system. Spending points to unlock individual ratings is so tedious. Progressing players is tedious and unrealistic. FIFA they progress based on their play and HOW they play. It's realistic and feels rewarding to see those +2 next to crossing because that player has set up a few nice goals over the season. You should have to practice your spin move to get better at it. Not just spend points on it.

Also, CPU AI was questionable at best leading to a lot of unrealistic rosters. Everything being based on overall just leads to a bunch of nonsense in the depth charts. To go along with that simmed CPU stats vs my stats not realistically lining up so I'd end up with an entire offensive line in the probowl or LB tackles never being up there with the CPU.

So I'm expecting to see a much improved, stream-lined progression/scouting and CPU logic at least.
I seriously doubt their vision of enjoyment lines up with most here on OS because the focus of career mode seems to be all about arcade like interaction versus authentic team/player management UI. You referred to FIFA doing progression a certain way and so do other lauded sports games like The Show and NBA2k but for some odd reason, Tiburon wants to blaze some new trail with Madden.

The crazy thing is, not too long ago this same EA Tiburon was neglecting career modes because according to them, they weren't that generally popular, mainly just for the hardcore gamer but at least then, what was there, gave some semblance of authenticity. Then suddenly they proclaim career modes to be very popular among all gamers and we get CCM, that at this point seems to be about creating yet another mode to attract non football gamers.

Just to be frank, EA Tiburon is ruining traditional football gaming, in the guise of innovation. That may seem like an extreme statement but it's not considering the things they have done. On just about every level they have doubled down on inventing some hybrid game to appeal to as many demographics as possible, even outside of traditional football gamers, while failing to provide adequate options or settings to provide a more authentic experience. They have been trying this hybrid experiment with game play since 2006, imo and even though they keep admitting it doesn't work and claiming to now be going for authenticity in game play, they're again pushing the same admittedly failed concept on other areas. Chris Sanner stated it well in a recent write up; "What we have with Madden is a game which approaches the game of football from a standpoint thatís neither sim or arcade ó itís like itís own vision of the sport that mimics real-life football but also throws its own twists in." I disagree slightly with the part about mimics real life because the moment Tiburon starts adding their own twists in, they are ceasing to even attempt to mimic real life.

The only reason I refuse to just go away and stop even bothering with Madden is that they are ruining what was once my favorite vice, football video gaming and specifically Franchise mode, so speaking up is about all I can do. I don't think it matters though, Tiburon has and will continue to do whatever they want, in spite of what they claim but constructive venting (that's what I'm calling it) is somewhat therapeutic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #66
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
So guys, what would yall deem as "most critical" to your enjoyment of CFM? I'd love to see how what we think and what they think lines up when we get this CFM info. Personally, I played a few CFMs on M25 but never did more than 2 seasons.
More realistic progression. Would love a slider that alters attribute upgrade prices. Since xp is here to stay that would be a decent workaround. Want the cpu to practice and improve with user teams

Want it to be harder to manage the cap, especiallyif youre consistently winning. Want players to recognize their worth based on performance and key attributes instead of just going off their OVR rating. Some holdouts would be nice and a team chemistry that must be maintained . If your rb goes for 2k yards then congrats, but he should want to get paid afterwards. Just want the experience to feel alive

Would really like a practice squad also.

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #67
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Would like sliders that were explained, labelled properly, and worked as labelled.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #68
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Another thing, the ability to reset cap penalties and undo or edit contract specifics would be a great addition for online leagues. Sometimes guys run a franchise into the ground and then bail. Could be a tool that only the commissioner would be able to use

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 08-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #69
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscob
Another thing, the ability to reset cap penalties and undo or edit contract specifics would be a great addition for online leagues. Sometimes guys run a franchise into the ground and then bail. Could be a tool that only the commissioner would be able to use
The commissioner needs more power in general, all the way up to reversing transactions outright (player releases, player trades, contract extensions, etc.).

An option to reverse a team relocation could also be useful.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #70
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
This was posted on the vsn forums by Mr Bill regarding the interview with josh

I believe that overall things are very positive about CFM for Madden 15. Some people will not be happy as everything the community wanted could not be addressed but most should be happy as the things deemed most critical have been addressed.
With all due respect, we hear this same thing EVERY year. Also, and I do not mean anything against Mr. Bill by saying this, but Bill is always very positive about everything Madden. I enjoy Bill's interviews, posts and his site, but he has developed some personal relationships with the madden team. They give him some nice interviews, some exclusive info, etc. What do you expect him to say?

Like I said earlier, the Madden team built something special with their franchise mode on gen 2. As much as I enjoyed 2k's franchise mode and the concepts around game prep, film study, etc. etc., Madden's was excellent and even better in many other aspects. The potential to blow the roof off this thing is there, whether or not they wish to tap that potential is up for debate.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #71
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

The ability to edit draft classes will solve a TON of problems. Let the EA marketing team have their annual fun with ratings arguments and releases and let the community adjust the ratings as they see fit to help make a better game, better animations, and better overall experience. End of story
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2014, 02:55 PM   #72
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesKnows85
All I'm interested in is editing rookies and draft classes so that we aren't forced to play with EAs classes. Which are horrendous. If we can't edit draft classes, or if we can't edit those rookies post draft at least...I have no interest in this game, period.

I've already been told no custom classes, so what they need to do is take a page from the NCAA series and patch in the ability to let us edit everything about players at any time while in franchise mode.

When I say everything, I mean
Name
Height
Weight
Skin color
Equipment
Atrributes
College
I want realism in my franchise. No comical names and no players with crazy attributes that make no sense. I want real rookies and draft classes that resemble real life.
I hear you, but you almost answered your own question by referencing the NCAA series. That series is no longer primarily due to issues with 'likenesses' of real people being used in the game without their permission. I love the NFL and it's history, but Jim Brown's lawsuit back in 2009 pretty much opened the door that ruined NCAA, draft classes, and roster editing in Madden in my view. You can't edit a CURRENT player's appearance/height/weight for the above reasons, in my view, but EA won't ever elaborate. Editing restrictions on appearance/height/weight of current players is literally just a switch they will not turn off. I'm a historic roster guy and the only way I can create realistic historic teams is to create every player from scratch (Better than nothing, but you can't edit once created either.). I'll bet you an August 26th Papa John's Pizza that this will be no different this year, nor will they clarify that fact. MUT is their way of getting some historic guys in the game, but they all have to be paid. Solution? MUT packs (secret code for in-game purchases).

Last edited by l8knight1; 08-04-2014 at 03:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »