Home

Pre-season games - meaningless?

This is a discussion on Pre-season games - meaningless? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #25
@HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Pre-season games - meaningless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
See it's threads like this that make me not understand when people say things like "Madden isn't that bad, it's a good football game". Like the quoted poster stated about "strings", how f'n hard is it to add BACK a 1st/2nd/3rd/4th string UI, like was in M05 and have the CPU teams programmed to automatically sub/rotate them accordingly for each preseason game? That's just some basic ish right there, not even getting into the more nuanced things they could do, like bringing back position battles.

I don't mean to be d'hole, it just frustrating when the only NFL football game won't do things like the NFL.

Madden 05, my most played/favorite NFL game to date. Loved everything about that game for some reason, especially the radio shows *would love to have those back*

I mean honestly I know Madden has it's problems, but damn there are little things that could be added in, they are just overlooked each year.

I will be one of those Madden roaches that continue to go back to Madden, because it's the only football game out there, and the Madden teams know this, but maybe just maybe, they will continue to listen to people and add, and maybe one day we will get small things like this back in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #26
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzbin
Is there a reason to pre-season games besides tweaking sliders and having injuries? Do ratings go up or down?
If there was a real practice squad and rating variation (perhaps through some hidden ratings), then preseason would matter.

I hope they add that in some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Weekly goals are active during the preseason so you also have the opportunity to earn XP for any players who perform well in games; i.e. you have an opportunity to progress players.
Which has almost nothing at all to do with what the NFL uses preseason for.

Sure, preseason is about player development, but it's about WAY WAY WAY more than that. It's about determining the roster. It's about seeing who takes their talent and applies it in a live situation. It's about determining who would be of value on your practice squad (say you play in the NFC West; maybe you want a mobile QB to practice against?). It's about players on the roster bubble fighting for their jobs. It's about players learning and applying the new schemes, when applicable (new players or new coaches).

Jeez it is SO much more than player development, but the funny thing is, preseason ISN'T for developing STARTERS; it's for developing back ups. Since there is not practice squad or position battles, or any hidden ratings that require game play to determine, the only real use of preseason is to make your players better through racking up absurd and unrealistic preseason stats.

There needs to be a development factor and a hidden ratings factor for players on the bubble (undrafted free agents, low round draft picks), and there always needs to be some rating variability function, perhaps based on consistency ratings, that can allow for faster or slower development - but this has to be something that CAN'T be figured out 100%. And there needs to be some playbook learning function that relates to ratings some how, which itself is proportional to time spent playing in the preseason. If they added things like that, then preseason would matter in a way that more closely resembles how it matters in the NFL.

Until then, preseason is nothing but an extension of the weekly practice mini-game. And until they bring these things into the picture, the excitement from the new NFL year found in the preseason will be completely missing from the game.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 08-06-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #27
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzbin
Is there a reason to pre-season games besides tweaking sliders and having injuries? Do ratings go up or down?
I use the pre-season games to try out my rookies and second year players. I also almost always have a few position battles (especially at WR and DL). I make my final roster cuts based off who played the best in preseason not based on the OVR ratings (except for obvious starters) it keeps the game somewhat real for me. I also like it for injuries, every year at least 2 starters on my team get injured in training camp opening up spots for younger guys to make an impact.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #28
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

I agree with cmhooe on a lot of these things. For me, personally, I normally only play 1 preseason game and sim the rest. And, what I'm looking for in that 1 game is often times different, but honestly represents what HC's are looking at. 1. Maybe, a QB or RB battle. Maybe, I have a mobile QB and a pocket QB, but they have similar overall ratings, and I want to feel out which one is 'better,' or who I like playing with more. Maybe, u have a finesse back and a power back. Again, I want to get a feel for how they play or if they play differently. 2. I want to see my draft picks play. This is very much realistic IMO where u draft a guy or 2 and know they will probably be backups, but maybe 1 guy has wicked speed and I want to see him on the field and see what he can do. 3. The xp. I personally do xp once per season, but if u want to progress a player during preseason, that's your prerogative. Let an up and coming RB play a lot. Get him some TDs in preseason so u can improve his trucking or something for the reg season. Or, if u don't care about preseason, sim it all! But, ultimately, preseason IS in the NFL, so it, of course should be in Madden and u can use it similar to how HC's use it. So, it's not meaningless IMO.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #29
Banned

DSThom's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman24
Pre-Season is meaningless which is sad. It should be an event just like real life.
You don't Lovie the preseason? Well Buc me.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #30
Banned

DSThom's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue12
I wish the computer made more realistic substations.
Gotta love autocorrect.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #31
Banned

DSThom's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
how hard is it to add BACK a 1st/2nd/3rd/4th string UI, like was in M05 and have the CPU teams programmed to automatically sub/rotate them accordingly for each preseason game?

I don't mean to whine....
The NFL doesn't have a "4th string," or even a "3rd string." Not enough players when only 45 dress for game day. (Even the roster limit of 53 isn't enough for 3 "strings.") Putting the abstraction of 3rd and 4th strings in just for preseason games would be meaningless clutter. The depth chart goes 4 deep, or even 5 or 6 deep, where needed.

Madden takes out the starters and plays the second string at the half of exhibition games, and if you want to avoid playing regulars, to avoid injury, you can change the depth chart accordingly before and during the game.

As far as the whining goes, you could have fooled me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 11

I'd probably play pre-season games if there was a quick 1-button way to instantly sub out all starters for 2nd stringers, or "bottom of the depth chart" guys. I get that they switch to 2nd stringers automatically after first half, but still can't be bothered manually making my changes.

A 1-button system would fix this, maybe at the playcall screen, or similar to how NCAA did it where you could instantly sub out all first team offence/defence/everyone

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »