Home

Pre-season games - meaningless?

This is a discussion on Pre-season games - meaningless? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #33
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Pre-season games - meaningless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSThom
The NFL doesn't have a "4th string," or even a "3rd string." Not enough players when only 45 dress for game day. (Even the roster limit of 53 isn't enough for 3 "strings.") Putting the abstraction of 3rd and 4th strings in just for preseason games would be meaningless clutter. The depth chart goes 4 deep, or even 5 or 6 deep, where needed.

Madden takes out the starters and plays the second string at the half of exhibition games, and if you want to avoid playing regulars, to avoid injury, you can change the depth chart accordingly before and during the game.

As far as the whining goes, you could have fooled me.
The other stuff is your opinion so cool, but the bold is just wrong. Here is a link to the Bears "depth chart" in which they have 3 strings and an "other". http://www.chicagobears.com/team/pre...pth_chart.html

If you're going to troll me, at least have your facts straight, lol.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #34
Banned

DSThom's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
The other stuff is your opinion so cool, but the bold is just wrong. Here is a link to the Bears "depth chart" in which they have 3 strings and an "other". http://www.chicagobears.com/team/pre...pth_chart.html

If you're going to troll me, at least have your facts straight, lol.
The page you reference only has 3 strings, and that's possible only because of the current 90-man roster limit. I can assure you, with the confidence of a life-long Bear fan going back to Bill George (played MLB and wore his #61 in high school), only one or two of the players listed as 3rd string will be with the Bears on opening day.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #35
Underdog

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Which has almost nothing at all to do with what the NFL uses preseason for.

Sure, preseason is about player development, but it's about WAY WAY WAY more than that. It's about determining the roster. It's about seeing who takes their talent and applies it in a live situation. It's about determining who would be of value on your practice squad (say you play in the NFC West; maybe you want a mobile QB to practice against?). It's about players on the roster bubble fighting for their jobs. It's about players learning and applying the new schemes, when applicable (new players or new coaches).

Jeez it is SO much more than player development, but the funny thing is, preseason ISN'T for developing STARTERS; it's for developing back ups. Since there is not practice squad or position battles, or any hidden ratings that require game play to determine, the only real use of preseason is to make your players better through racking up absurd and unrealistic preseason stats.
I mean, if that's how you choose to use preseason - just playing starters the entire game for XP reasons - I suppose that's fine, you play the game however you want. I personally make it a point to rotate my backups in to see if they offer something for my team on the field for the sixteen games later that count.

Should the game have mechanisms and presentation components to emphasize the whittling down of the roster on its own? Sure. Should every team's CFM roster also have a practice squad? Absolutely. That said, there is nothing stopping you, the user and the head coach, from subbing in players further down the depth chart on your own to see how they do in a game situation which won't affect your chances of making the playoffs. Heck, the game already does the mass substitutions automatically, so there's a starting point. That's why the game starts the preseason with a 75-man roster limit per-team and gradually reduces it to 55 (yeah, it's supposed to be 53 but Madden is Madden), to encourage you the user to evaluate your players on your own to determine who to cut after each game.

It requires a little more effort on the part of the user than desired, yes, but the ability to evaluate one's roster is already there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #36
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
The NFL doesn't have a "4th string," or even a "3rd string." Not enough players when only 45 dress for game day. (Even the roster limit of 53 isn't enough for 3 "strings.") Putting the abstraction of 3rd and 4th strings in just for preseason games would be meaningless clutter. The depth chart goes 4 deep, or even 5 or 6 deep, where needed.

Madden takes out the starters and plays the second string at the half of exhibition games, and if you want to avoid playing regulars, to avoid injury, you can change the depth chart accordingly before and during the game.

As far as the whining goes, you could have fooled me.
During the regular season your right there most teams don't have a 3rd/4th string (although they do have a practice squad). This thread is about the preseason which in the real NFL has 90 man rosters to start out with and most teams do play up to 4 strings in the preseason. Some teams will play more to test out certain combinations of QB's and WR's.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #37
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
The page you reference only has 3 strings, and that's possible only because of the current 90-man roster limit. I can assure you, with the confidence of a life-long Bear fan going back to Bill George (played MLB and wore his #61 in high school), only one or two of the players listed as 3rd string will be with the Bears on opening day.
Nah, your "confidence" aside, they continue with the 3rd "string" and "other" in the depth chart into the regular season, which you already incorrectly claimed doesn't exist in the NFL but that's moot anyway considering this entire thread is about Preseason.

Good day sir/ma'am.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #38
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
During the regular season your right there most teams don't have a 3rd/4th string (although they do have a practice squad). This thread is about the preseason which in the real NFL has 90 man rosters to start out with and most teams do play up to 4 strings in the preseason. Some teams will play more to test out certain combinations of QB's and WR's.
Agreed here. Also, 46 players are active on game day. The emergency QB is no longer a rule.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #39
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I mean, if that's how you choose to use preseason - just playing starters the entire game for XP reasons - I suppose that's fine, you play the game however you want. I personally make it a point to rotate my backups in to see if they offer something for my team on the field for the sixteen games later that count.

Should the game have mechanisms and presentation components to emphasize the whittling down of the roster on its own? Sure. Should every team's CFM roster also have a practice squad? Absolutely. That said, there is nothing stopping you, the user and the head coach, from subbing in players further down the depth chart on your own to see how they do in a game situation which won't affect your chances of making the playoffs. Heck, the game already does the mass substitutions automatically, so there's a starting point. That's why the game starts the preseason with a 75-man roster limit per-team and gradually reduces it to 55 (yeah, it's supposed to be 53 but Madden is Madden), to encourage you the user to evaluate your players on your own to determine who to cut after each game.

It requires a little more effort on the part of the user than desired, yes, but the ability to evaluate one's roster is already there.
It really isn't that hard to do the above either it might take an extra 10 minutes of setting up your depth chart before the game to who you want starting/subbing late in the game. I often follow a somewhat realistic preseason schedule where my starters don't play significant time till week 3. And in week 4 it is entirely position battles. It would be nice for the game to offer an easy way to do this but it is not out of the realm of possibilities for the user to do it themselves.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #40
#1 conrhusker fan

huskerfan4life's Arena

OVR: 13

I have not played Madden since the mid 2000's and I was wondering is there certain screens that you substitute your 2nd & 3rd string to be set up before the preseason, or would you have to do it after each quarter?

Follow Me On Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/bigbadjz

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »