Home

Pre-season games - meaningless?

This is a discussion on Pre-season games - meaningless? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #49
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Pre-season games - meaningless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
Honest question

If you have a quarterback who has three points lower arm strength and three points lower accuracy ratings across the board, same everything else, than the guy starting and the guy with worse ratings actually finishes pre-season with better stats, would you really look to start the lower rated guys. I wish Madden actually worked like that but personally I think you can do all the evaluating you need from the roster menu. Just my two cents though.

Pre-Season, in Madden, to me is just a chance to get guys hurt.

Again, just my two cents.
Like real life, it depends. Age, right vs left handed, how well does he scramble/throw on the run and trade value all factor into my decision for relatively similar QBs.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #50
Banned

DSThom's Arena

OVR: 0

Chip Kelly on preseason depth charts:

"Seriously, the depth chart, I don't care. I think [Eagles PR Director] Derek [Boyko] did it," Kelly said, via Philly.com. "I mean, it's absolutely nothing. I know we're going to get questions on it, and I'll be honest with you, I do not care how that's listed, added. I said a long time ago, it's written in sand, it's written in water, it can be written in anything. That depth chart means absolutely nothing. The only reason we make one is because they [the league] tell us to make one. Call it whatever you want to call it."

From CBS Sports
Old 08-07-2014, 03:54 AM   #51
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSThom
Maybe you're talking about 90 man rosters but I'm talking about the meaninglessness of 3rd and 4th string for the entire season. Not worth the effort when so much else needs work. One or two of the 3rd stringers might make the opening day roster. It's not hard to work them into the depth chart as it is now.

Of all the things to complain about in an effort to show Madden is a failure as a football simulation, this has to be like saying you don't like Lady Gaga because she has a big nose.
This thread has nothing to do with the regular season its about the preseason. More 3rd stringers end up making an NFL roster than you think. That is often where the best position battles come into play between 2nd and 3rd string players. The ones who perform the best in preseason are often the ones who make the team. Sure it is easy enough to keep track of it all yourself but ti wouldn't be a bad idea to make a simpler process that incorporates this into preseason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 04:20 AM   #52
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
This thread has nothing to do with the regular season its about the preseason. More 3rd stringers end up making an NFL roster than you think. That is often where the best position battles come into play between 2nd and 3rd string players. The ones who perform the best in preseason are often the ones who make the team. Sure it is easy enough to keep track of it all yourself but ti wouldn't be a bad idea to make a simpler process that incorporates this into preseason.
Exactly. Going back to the Eagles, G.J. Kinne will be battling for the third QB roster spot with Matt Barkley and Mark Sanchez. And if I were playing CFM, I'd like the CPU to give Kinne that chance.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #53
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
Exactly. Going back to the Eagles, G.J. Kinne will be battling for the third QB roster spot with Matt Barkley and Mark Sanchez. And if I were playing CFM, I'd like the CPU to give Kinne that chance.
Or look at the Patriots RB's. Brandon Bolden, Roy Finch, Stephen Houston and Jonas Gray are all battling for that 4th RB spot. If any one of them performs well in preseason games they could even challenge White/Vereen for the 3rd and 2nd spot.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:29 AM   #54
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

Quote:
Or look at the Patriots RB's. Brandon Bolden, Roy Finch, Stephen Houston and Jonas Gray are all battling for that 4th RB spot. If any one of them performs well in preseason games they could even challenge White/Vereen for the 3rd and 2nd spot.
You trying to butter me up by using the Patriots? Because it worked.
In all seriousness, this really should be in the game. And really, how hard or time consuming could it be to code it?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #55
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
You trying to butter me up by using the Patriots? Because it worked.
In all seriousness, this really should be in the game. And really, how hard or time consuming could it be to code it?
Fellow Pats fan here lol.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #56
Banned

DSThom's Arena

Quote:
You may declare the thread has nothing to do with the regular season, but I responded in this thread that having the abstraction of 3rd and 4th strings in Madden is meaningless for the regular season, which by the way comes after the preseason. Maybe no one remembers, but it wasn't that long ago that depth charts in Madden were completely discombobulated. Now they work, at least for at the basic level. If someone needs it all laid out up to fourth strings for the preseason for convenience, then they're probably not paying close enough attention to their roster. And what does for 4th string mean, exactly? Is there a fourth string for an empty backfield and 5 wideouts? Is it the same 4th string as that for a jumbo package with no wide receivers? How many fourth strings are you going to need? One for each formation?

The position battles between for backups (your 2nd and 3rd stringers) can be handled perfectly well by the depth chart as it is. You may say it's simple to incorporate, but take a look at HC09, which has buttons for substituting the "2nd string" and the "3rd string." You will find some totally bizarre behavior.

I'd rather development focus on meaningful additions/fixes/extensions to depth charts, such as auto subs that work and formation packages.

My original response was not to the question of whether preseason games are meaningless or not. That doesn't merit a response, to my mind. My response was to someone with a clear agenda (Madden sucks; bring back 2K) whose feeble attempt to show how poorly designed Madden is was based on the fact it doesn't have the explicit abstraction of 4th strings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »