Home

Pre-season games - meaningless?

This is a discussion on Pre-season games - meaningless? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #57
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Pre-season games - meaningless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSThom

The position battles between for backups (your 2nd and 3rd stringers) can be handled perfectly well by the depth chart as it is. You may say it's simple to incorporate, but take a look at HC09, which has buttons for substituting the "2nd string" and the "3rd string." You will find some totally bizarre behavior.
Personally I have no problem with using the depth chart for my position battles but it's not out of the realm of possibilities for them to add in something to make it a bit simpler. You reference a game from 6 years ago but completely ignore a recent game which had this feature: NCAA. At any point during any game you could pause the game and perform mass subs. There was never any bizarre behavior it just worked as advertised. It would be simple to incorporate as the programming code is very similar between the two games, also the majority of the NCAA team is now working on various aspects of Madden.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #58
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Personally I have no problem with using the depth chart for my position battles but it's not out of the realm of possibilities for them to add in something to make it a bit simpler. You reference a game from 6 years ago but completely ignore a recent game which had this feature: NCAA. At any point during any game you could pause the game and perform mass subs. There was never any bizarre behavior it just worked as advertised. It would be simple to incorporate as the programming code is very similar between the two games, also the majority of the NCAA team is now working on various aspects of Madden.
The difference is CFM, though.

Might be a simple programming code to an outsider, it might cause havoc when applied to CFM.

It's all about the programming, programmers and how much time it takes.

Hope it does get installed soon, though.

I'm tired of long drives of players being fatigued and CB's being replaced by 5th WR wideouts.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #59
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

Might be a simple programming code to an outsider, it might cause havoc when applied to CFM.

I'm tired of long drives of players being fatigued and CB's being replaced by 5th WR wideouts.
I am saying it would be simple in the sense that they already have many of the programmers who worked on it for NCAA working on Madden. I realize it would still take tons of hours to implement in CFM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #60
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
You may declare the thread has nothing to do with the regular season, but I responded in this thread that having the abstraction of 3rd and 4th strings in Madden is meaningless for the regular season, which by the way comes after the preseason....

My original response was not to the question of whether preseason games are meaningless or not. That doesn't merit a response, to my mind. My response was to someone with a clear agenda (Madden sucks; bring back 2K) whose feeble attempt to show how poorly designed Madden is was based on the fact it doesn't have the explicit abstraction of 4th strings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBleedOrange247
EA DEV'S PLEASE READ

Maybe to add on to preseason we could have a setting before each game. Like quarter setting. You would choose what string of players you want playing in each quarter. Or even a minute slider.

Could have a slider for all 3 strings or whatever and fill them out by how many minutes your settings are set to.

This way in the first game you could limit your starters to only say 10 minutes/60...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
See it's threads like this that make me not understand when people say things like "Madden isn't that bad, it's a good football game". Like the quoted poster stated about "strings", how hard is it to add BACK a 1st/2nd/3rd/4th string UI, like was in M05 and have the CPU teams programmed to automatically sub/rotate them accordingly for each preseason game? That's just some basic stuff right there, not even getting into the more nuanced things they could do, like bringing back position battles.

I don't mean to whine, it just frustrating when the only NFL football game won't do things like the NFL.
Quote:
The NFL doesn't have a "4th string," or even a "3rd string." Not enough players when only 45 dress for game day. (Even the roster limit of 53 isn't enough for 3 "strings.") Putting the abstraction of 3rd and 4th strings in just for preseason games would be meaningless clutter. The depth chart goes 4 deep, or even 5 or 6 deep, where needed.

Madden takes out the starters and plays the second string at the half of exhibition games, and if you want to avoid playing regulars, to avoid injury, you can change the depth chart accordingly before and during the game.

As far as the whining goes, you could have fooled me.
I'm missing the "agenda" part except in your posts but I guess I finally "made it" since I have someone trolling me. It's funny to see it all write there in black and white, clearly showing who has an "agenda" in this thread. smh

I could simply report you for trolling I guess but quite honestly I'm flattered by it and unlike some, the post and opinions of others aren't a big deal to me.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #61
@HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl's Arena

OVR: 5

Maybe now with the new "confidence" you can actually make position battles mean something. Play the first half of preseason and see who's performing good and see if their confidence is affected.

Honestly if you want to make sure your players don't get hurt, play the first half or first quarter then supersim the rest. Or just change to 2min quarters and eat the clock and just tie all of the preseason games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #62
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
I am saying it would be simple in the sense that they already have many of the programmers who worked on it for NCAA working on Madden. I realize it would still take tons of hours to implement in CFM.
I get that, but my larger point is that the difference is CFM vs the NCAA game. NCAA didn't have CFM. We don't know how many programmers they brought over if any, developers, yes, they brought some over, but a lot of people were laid off, too, including, probably programmers.

All I'm saying it's not probably not as easy as to program something like that into CFM, but, something I'd like to see happen at some point in the very near future.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #63
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBleedOrange247
Maybe now with the new "confidence" you can actually make position battles mean something. Play the first half of preseason and see who's performing good and see if their confidence is affected.

Honestly if you want to make sure your players don't get hurt, play the first half or first quarter then supersim the rest. Or just change to 2min quarters and eat the clock and just tie all of the preseason games
Even though I hope confidence helps, I would still like to see actual position battles brought back somehow. Also I think adding a progressive injury system would help preseason as well because injury risk is a big part of preseason in the NFL. The way it's currently done in Madden is an all or nothing proposition, players are either injured/out or healthy/playing, if injuries were more varied, it would be much better.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #64
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

People just lose me completely when they start trying to claim how easy it would be to do, they typically ignore 'little' things like the code is from a last gen game, and all of the other AI and complications that would likely go along with it. Same with 'give us options' as if options are free and don't require resources to add, maintain and increase complexity.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »