Home

Madden Improvements

This is a discussion on Madden Improvements within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
Madden Improvements

You know, looking around the threads and seeing what people want in the game and everything, I figured it would make sense to create a centralized thread for everyone to put their "improvement suggestions" into. So the dev's can just go to one source for what their fans want. I'll start.

Player animations- goes without saying, needed for a while. We want human movements, not robotic movements.

Implementation- EA loves creating new mechanics and things for the game. TEST them behind the scenes for a couple years and GET IT RIGHT before implementation. (think to yourself, if I was a consumer, would I enjoy this as it is? NO? DONT put it in.)

Authenticity- Just make a good game. We dont want a cool gimmicky mechanic. We want solid football gameplay. (I'll let the rest of the OS community fill in the rest of this topic).

Ratings- Sorry Donny, but you gotta overhaul your ratings system.

A.I.- It'd be cool to get player specific or at least position specific A.I. in the future. (Like FIFA says they want Messi to play like Messi and etc. But they're working on at least for now getting each position to think and react like the position it is (if that makes sense)).

That's all I have for now, I'll let the rest of the community share their thoughts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Pro

psychraider32's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Madden Improvements

I beleive they aready have wish list section for this.

Interests and Hobbies: video games, programming, psychology, neuroscience, piano, functional strength training.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychraider32
I beleive they aready have wish list section for this.
This wasn't meant to be a wish list. A Wishlist is something people want in the future. THIS is meant to show what needs to be CHANGED.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
Pro

psychraider32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
This wasn't meant to be a wish list. A Wishlist is something people want in the future. THIS is meant to show what needs to be CHANGED.
Fair enough but I feel like this will be recreated when the actual game drops.

Interests and Hobbies: video games, programming, psychology, neuroscience, piano, functional strength training.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yeah man, I agree player animations should be on the top of the list. All these years EA didn't want to admit that a players' body mechanics identify a football player way more than a 3d scanned face you see in replays.

Oh and draft classes ruined 25s CFM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #6
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

The passing system. Even with the inaccuracies added, there just isn't enough variety. Almost every cpu qb in these videos is completing around 90%. The offense gets stalled after taking a coverage sack or two. Otherwise it's a score. Human users play about the same no matter if they use Philip Rivers, Big Ben, or Blake Bortles.

Route based passing needs to be added as soon as possible.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Bro u care if I rant about ratings too? Been reading os forums forever n have a lot to get out.

Ratings need to be position specific and ability based, not numerical. Use numerical on speed and explosiveness and jump height - all the things you can measure with a tape or timer.

I've played organized football through 10 seasons as a TE/WR and can describe how a pass catcher should be rated. I base it off what I can do and what I see others do.

Assuming the ability based ratings model has a tiered system, a WR should be rated like this off the top of my head:

Release - Very poor to excellent

Ive never looked at a guy in front of me in passing drills and thought "That was about a 65 release." There are all sorts of releases. Inside, out, fake block, stutter step, etc. A Very poor rated guy could try a Good release animation but fail or do it slowly.

Identification of Coverage - Very Slow to Very Fast

If you identify this quickly, you run your route differently. You may feather your speed, throttle down, sit between zones, give a headfake against man coverage.

Route Running Against Man/Zone - Very Poor to Excellent

Ball in Air Vision - Very Poor to Excellent

This could apply to seeing exactly where and when the ball is released, or targeting it while running a route.

Looking the Ball In - Rarely to Always

This is the biggest part of catching a football consistently and keeping posession after the catch. This stat could replace CIT or combine with AWR to be the overall catch trait. When you see someone drop a ball because he took his eyes off it for whatever reason, you always notice and hear someone say "Took his eyes off the ball." It is such a fundamental part of football never replicated in Madden.

Point of Catch/Highest Point - Very Inaccurate/Pinpoint

Judging where to be and when to jump for the highest point is a challenge for pass catchers.

Modifiers or Traits

Opening your body square with the trajectory of the pass is a coveted ability of WRs and improves your chance to catch the ball.

Chemistry with the quarterback is incredibly important.

Misdirection immediately after the catch... say you run a curl and catch the ball with the CB backed off of you. Guys who identify that coverage will know to give a fake move according to the cushion the defender gave.

All im trying to say is if you want to replicate football, there are guys that can do specific things well and are well rounded, vice versa, and everything in between. 0-99 ratings are fine for simmed games but not to the eyes or expectations of football fans.

Last edited by Primo80; 08-03-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Banned

You just made me think of something. When you do RTTS in The Show, your rating has two components. Your rating, (which is what you are), and your potential (which is what you could be based on scouting), and there not a numerical grade but a letter grade (A-F). If Madden had this, it'd be SO much better. Say a receiver had a B or B+ rating, but had A or A+ potential. He's able to make his plays, but because of his potential, he can OCCASIONALLY make the superstar receptions. Or if a QB had a C-C+ rating, but a B or B+ potential, you'll see him like an avg QB doing his thing, but OCCASIONALLY he'll make those "Did you see that!" throws. And as time goes on, if he's consistent, then his rating goes to a B or B+ and his potential to A or A+ and those OCCASIONAL plays turn into regular occurrences while the player goes from avg to superstar caliber.

Last edited by A_Quiet_Pro; 08-03-2014 at 03:40 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »