Home

Things to build on the confidence mechanic

This is a discussion on Things to build on the confidence mechanic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Game of the Year 2021: Forza Horizon 5
Best Sports Game Trend in 2021: College Sports Coming Back
Best Franchise Mode in 2021: NBA 2K22

Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Things to build on the confidence mechanic

It may be too soon for a thread such as this, but with the details on confidence I was wondering on the ways they can add to it in the future.

Media Questions: Right now they feel useless and they do not add anything to the game. However if periodically the questions dealt with players it could affect player confidence. Pretty simple, a reporter asks you a question about the play of your QB and your answer impacts them in some way. Should be done in a way where there is no obvious right answer, e.g. some answers could up QB confidence while decreasing run game confidence.

Major Injuries: We often hear about players returning from injuries like torn ACL mention getting comfortable making cuts so I think it would be cool if for the first couple of weeks coming back from major injury the player has a confidence hit to mimic their apprehension about making cuts. After a while they regain confidence.

Preseason: Rather than a small game to game thing, give players a confidence modifier at the start of the year that depends on preseason/camp performance. We see it often where a guy has a good preseason/camp and it carries over into the season.We also see the opposite. So in week 1 we could see something like +5 had a good preseason or -5 had a bad preseason.

Any other ideas? Like if a player falls in the draft he takes a confidence hit and if a team reaches for him he gains confidence.

I also think that with this we need some kind of fully developed personality system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Things to build on the confidence mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds

Like if a player falls in the draft he takes a confidence hit...
Or... the absolute opposite. A guy goes in round 6 and becomes a 3-time Super Bowl winner... tells the owner that drafting him was the best decision the team ever made and that he's going to prove it to them. Kinda like the guy in my avatar!

Some guys drop on draft day and it pisses them off and they are out to prove the world wrong! Now that would be awesome... but only if it happened rarely... not in typical EA fashion where it happens 27 times each draft!

Subtlety, EA, subtlety... it's an art form you guys really should learn about!

Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
All Star

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
Or... the absolute opposite. A guy goes in round 6 and becomes a 3-time Super Bowl winner... tells the owner that drafting him was the best decision the team ever made and that he's going to prove it to them. Kinda like the guy in my avatar!

Some guys drop on draft day and it pisses them off and they are out to prove the world wrong! Now that would be awesome... but only if it happened rarely... not in typical EA fashion where it happens 27 times each draft!

Subtlety, EA, subtlety... it's an art form you guys really should learn about!
Tom Brady was projected to go late in the draft was he not? I am talking about those who are drafted later than they are expected.

Having said, it would need a personality system with it because it may motivate some guys. Not everyone handles the same situation the same way.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Tom Brady was projected to go late in the draft was he not? I am talking about those who are drafted later than they are expected.

Having said, it would need a personality system with it because it may motivate some guys. Not everyone handles the same situation the same way.
Which is precisely why I said if it happened rarely. You don't like the Brady reference... okay... there have been plenty of guys projected as high picks who - for whatever reason - fell in the draft and had great careers or are still having great careers.

I agree that a "personality system" should be included and that could be part of the scouting system. For instance, there's no way that fat LSU QB from several years ago should have been the number one pick in the draft and I warned many people about him, particularly after seeing an interview with him on ESPN where he said, when asked if he had a team he would like to go to, he said: 'Whoever is willing to pay the most money!'

Wow! Now that's a HUGE red flag. Just like the Manning/Leaf debate. The Colts asked each QB what their plans were if drafted #1. Manning said he was going to dive into the playbook and get busy studying. Leaf said he was going to Vegas to party with his friends. And look how that turned out.

Sadly, I think you and I are both living in a fantasy world, because it's pretty apparent that despite sites like this where tons of people who are dedicated to trying to help make the game the best it can be, EA makes it for the casual gamer. Which is why there is no subtlety in the game. They figure most people will buy it, play it for a few months and move on.

EA is happy because they got their money. But for those of us who want to feel total immersion... well, we end up here, writing over 100 pages of glitches, close to that in uniform errors and threads like this one.

Don't get me wrong, your idea is great, but having the opposite happen too would only add to that immersion. Guys like Montana and Brady happen in real life - rarely - but they do happen. In the game? Never!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

The draft thing would be a huge addition but it has to be managed right. You don't want guys who are projected to be 5th round picks losing a ton of confidence because they were taken in the 7th round. That's just normal for the NFL draft, once you get out of the 3rd round there really isn't that much difference between rounds 4-7, especially the different ways teams evaluate players. Some teams draft a guy in the 4th round who other teams project is a 6th rounder. It would have to be a 1st round projection falling out of the first round or even slipping past where he is projected. Many people had Manziel being a top 10 pick this year, it would be a slight confidence hit to be picked 22.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
ESPN where he said, when asked if he had a team he would like to go to, he said: 'Whoever is willing to pay the most money!'

Wow! Now that's a HUGE red flag. Just like the Manning/Leaf debate. The Colts asked each QB what their plans were if drafted #1. Manning said he was going to dive into the playbook and get busy studying. Leaf said he was going to Vegas to party with his friends. And look how that turned out.
In all reality that quote applies to just about every player in the NFL, he was just the only one who was honest about it. With the exception of a few veterans looking for that last chance at a ring, most players are going to go to whoever pays the most money. They just never tell you that instead they give you every reason except for the money. I always love when they take more money to go to a bad team and say "I chose them because it is such a great organization with a chance to win". That line always makes me laugh.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:27 AM   #7
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
In all reality that quote applies to just about every player in the NFL, he was just the only one who was honest about it. With the exception of a few veterans looking for that last chance at a ring, most players are going to go to whoever pays the most money. They just never tell you that instead they give you every reason except for the money. I always love when they take more money to go to a bad team and say "I chose them because it is such a great organization with a chance to win". That line always makes me laugh.
Yeah, but you're talking about guys already in the NFL and, I assume, proven players. This guy was neither. He was waiting to be drafted and only because the old man who ran the Raiders loved his arm strength, was he drafted #1.

He should have answered that question like this: "I'll be happy with whoever takes me, I want to get into the league, prove the team right that takes me and earn my spot as quickly as possible."

He didn't say that though, for him, it was all about the $$$... and he was still in school at the time of said interview. Where is he now? Back home in Alabama and weighing around 325 last report...

Old 08-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #8
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Yeah, but you're talking about guys already in the NFL and, I assume, proven players. This guy was neither. He was waiting to be drafted and only because the old man who ran the Raiders loved his arm strength, was he drafted #1.

He should have answered that question like this: "I'll be happy with whoever takes me, I want to get into the league, prove the team right that takes me and earn my spot as quickly as possible."

He didn't say that though, for him, it was all about the $$$... and he was still in school at the time of said interview. Where is he now? Back home in Alabama and weighing around 325 last report...

Personally I prefer when guys say it's all about the money whether they are rookies or established veterans instead of lying about it. And personally I don't blame them one bit for wanting to get every dollar possible, you or I would do the same thing. There is no loyalty in sports on either side it is a business first and foremost. Look how many of those established veterans held out their rookie year until they were offered the highest possible contract. It was getting so out of control that they finally had to institute a rookie wage scale.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »