Home

Madden NFL 15 - Player Ratings Visualized

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 - Player Ratings Visualized within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15 - Player Ratings Visualized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Fans, coaches, Owners, players, etc, in the NFL have "their guys" but we don't really get that experience in Madden, with displayed numeric ratings being a big reason. You remove/hide that aspect and suddenly you have Users fielding teams with their personal stamp on them, feeling really invested versus just trying to put together biggest numbers on a glorified spread sheet.
I remember before the PS4 came out this was a big discussion as to whether numeric ratings were going to still be relevant on the next systems.
I agree that looking at a number does take some of the "realism" out of it, but also remember that scouts ALSO use a numeric rating scale. Maybe what we really need is to switch to the ACTUAL system used in real life?
I believe it goes up to 8, but that might just be baseball. I'll go look on Rivals.com and get back.

EDIT: Looks like they go from a 4.9 to a 6.1 rating scale.
Maybe it would just be easier to see a + - ABCD or F skill set.
Also I think since no one knows the future, being able to unlock a "Potential" rating at all should be eliminated. Did anyone know for sure if Tom Brady was going to be a Super Star when he was drafted? NO they didn't. And neither should we. It should be based entirely on their performance and their talents.

Last edited by WickedFastball; 08-09-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
Rookie

Connolly22's Arena

OVR: 2

yes, but to play devils advocated, numeric ratings create the difference between peyton manning and aaron rodgers
Old 08-09-2014, 11:46 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly22
yes, but to play devils advocated, numeric ratings create the difference between peyton manning and aaron rodgers
No no no TALLENT creates the difference between Peyton Manning and aaron rodgers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #12
Banned

Using a numerical rating system puts that separation of talent into a visual way for us to process the information of who is actually better.
But it is not the reason.

EDIT: And can just as easily be shown by using a color scale (as shown here) or an alphabetical rating system as many have suggested.

Last edited by WickedFastball; 08-09-2014 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2014, 12:30 AM   #13
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedFastball
I remember before the PS4 came out this was a big discussion as to whether numeric ratings were going to still be relevant on the next systems.
I agree that looking at a number does take some of the "realism" out of it, but also remember that scouts ALSO use a numeric rating scale. Maybe what we really need is to switch to the ACTUAL system used in real life?
I believe it goes up to 8, but that might just be baseball. I'll go look on Rivals.com and get back.

EDIT: Looks like they go from a 4.9 to a 6.1 rating scale.
Maybe it would just be easier to see a + - ABCD or F skill set.
Also I think since no one knows the future, being able to unlock a "Potential" rating at all should be eliminated. Did anyone know for sure if Tom Brady was going to be a Super Star when he was drafted? NO they didn't. And neither should we. It should be based entirely on their performance and their talents.
I'm all for using real scout data to achieve ratings, like FGBRatings does but ultimately I would like any exact numerics hidden, working under the hood. I could see having direct scouting data displayed for draft classes, since viewing "game film" on them isn't feasible in a video game but other than that, I would only want something like in the OP displayed for everyone else. At the end of the day what matters in the NFL is production and I feel like in Madden that's not the case, again mainly due to displayed ratings, imo.

Let's just use a rating like SPD for example, if that's hidden, with only a color code displayed, that's a game changer because even though the User knows what players are relatively fast, they don't have an exact number. So whenever they use this player it becomes far more about personal perception of their SPD versus precise knowledge. So now maybe User X isn't obsessed with getting that 99 SPD player to replace the 95 SPD player or maybe User Y unknowingly replaces a 99 SPD player with a 95 SPD player because the latter seemed faster to them when playing with them.

Quote:
Yes in the programming and I don't think the suggestion is to eliminate them but to hide them and display something less exact.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #14
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenk
yes yes and yes.....
That would add so much to a franchise. Real player traits are subjective. We all know Larry Fitz and Megatron have great hands. Who's are better? Up to debate.... we can all see they are great but in real life we dont see a players abilities as numbers.

It would be awesome to see madden include an option to hide those numbers and give us a color code like this or a grade. In a CFM we base our decisions now on a players ratings, not past performance.

Imagine if instead of seeing that a guy is clearly the best at said position as a 99 or has the best arm in football or best route runner we only had those colors knowing they are good elite etc, Feels more like real life.

And those color codes would be based off the previous years production so we cant immediately see that player x dropped his speed or awareness or pass accuracy 3 points. In pre-season those colors can begin to change so we get a more accurate picture for cut down days.

Dont know if I explained this well but I think you get the idea.
I have been saying this for years. They need to completely revamp the rating system (in all sports games). It would create a little bit more of realism to the game. A coach who drafts say Blake Bortles doesn't look at a chart and say we want this guy because he has an 85 short accuracy (or whatever his number is). They just know he has good to above average short accuracy. It would be great if certain ratings were completely hidden, would also help to create a lot more draft busts.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #15
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
In the real NFL there isn't a great amount of difference between Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers (or Brady or Brees). They both have averaged around 4000 yards and 30 TD's throughout their careers. Peyton's numbers are slightly higher but he has also played with some of the greatest WR's in the history of the game. On paper though they are both top 5 QB's capable of leading your team to the SB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2014, 02:00 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
In the real NFL there isn't a great amount of difference between Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers (or Brady or Brees). They both have averaged around 4000 yards and 30 TD's throughout their careers. Peyton's numbers are slightly higher but he has also played with some of the greatest WR's in the history of the game. On paper though they are both top 5 QB's capable of leading your team to the SB.
Yea there is. Maybe you don't see it....but there is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »