Home

Madden NFL 15 - Player Ratings Visualized

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 - Player Ratings Visualized within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Game of the Year 2021: Forza Horizon 5
Best Sports Game Trend in 2021: College Sports Coming Back
Best Franchise Mode in 2021: NBA 2K22

Old 08-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #33
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden NFL 15 - Player Ratings Visualized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I agree with you. I was just commenting on the "color code" idea if that was the only interpretation of skills. If there are scouts that can give you a more detailed blurb (not necessarily numbers, but maybe a sentence talking about a particular skill, or something to help differentiate between 2 guys with "blue" ratings for catch).

My concern would be that it would become a guessing game as to how the two players are different, if at all.
Not trying to be funny but that's the point of it, if you can use scouts or whatever to decipher which player is better/higher rated what's the point in hiding ratings at all?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Explain to me the major difference between them when it comes to being a QB. I realize Rodgers can run with the ball if he has to and Peyton can't. But when it comes to pure QB skills they are just about equal. There isn't much that separates Manning, Brady, Brees or Rodgers. In any given year any one of them can be the best QB in the NFL.
Well, if you want to make that argument, then it will be just as easy to say that Aaron Rodgers and Tony Romo are almost identical because there is only one point difference in their career completion percentage.
So by your logic there is more of a difference between Madden QB's than there is in real NFL QB's because Romo's OVR is almost 10 points lower than Aarons, but in REAL life Romo's completion percentage is very similar.
That is what you are saying.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I made the following document in an attempt to aid myself to this end. First thing I did was to group together all the players at each position. Then, for each rating for each player (divided into individual position groups), I calculated the cumulative normal distribution and finally color-coded the result.

Hopefully at least one person finds the product of my boredom useful, haha.
I really, really like this for non physical attributes. Especially if there could be a way of incorporating a coaching staff, HC, GM, and scouts that would somehow make this either more or less accurate depending on their evaluation attributes. This could make scouting, GM, HC and coaching staff hiring have some realistic significance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenk
yes yes and yes.....
That would add so much to a franchise. Real player traits are subjective. We all know Larry Fitz and Megatron have great hands. Who's are better? Up to debate.... we can all see they are great but in real life we dont see a players abilities as numbers.

It would be awesome to see madden include an option to hide those numbers and give us a color code like this or a grade. In a CFM we base our decisions now on a players ratings, not past performance.

Imagine if instead of seeing that a guy is clearly the best at said position as a 99 or has the best arm in football or best route runner we only had those colors knowing they are good elite etc, Feels more like real life.

And those color codes would be based off the previous years production so we cant immediately see that player x dropped his speed or awareness or pass accuracy 3 points. In pre-season those colors can begin to change so we get a more accurate picture for cut down days.

Dont know if I explained this well but I think you get the idea.
See above for comment about evaluation attributes for GM, HC, scouts and coaching staff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly22
yes, but to play devils advocated, numeric ratings create the difference between peyton manning and aaron rodgers
Ratings under the hood that we would not actually see. We would only see an approximation of those ratings (except for physical ratings, those should be fairly exact). So you would still get the difference between P. Manning and A. Rodgers on the field.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Let's just use a rating like SPD for example, if that's hidden, with only a color code displayed.
Now, I think the physical attributes, like speed, the ones that can be measured, should be fairly accurate.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Explain to me the major difference between them when it comes to being a QB. I realize Rodgers can run with the ball if he has to and Peyton can't. But when it comes to pure QB skills they are just about equal. There isn't much that separates Manning, Brady, Brees or Rodgers. In any given year any one of them can be the best QB in the NFL.
The differentiation is in what makes them great. Manning and Brady are statues. Rodgers is mobile. That can create a big difference in style of play. Right now, Brees and Rodgers have better arm strength than Manning. Again, another significant difference. The differences might not make one significantly better than the other, but to say the are the same is just not correct.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #39
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
Now, I think the physical attributes, like speed, the ones that can be measured, should be fairly accurate.
We probably agree depending on what you mean by "fairly". I think the range should be smaller for sure, like maybe 4-5 points versus larger ranges for more subjective ratings but I don't want anyway of knowing exactly who's 99 SPD vs 98 SPD. Also, I think it's fine to display 40 times as long as it's like real life where it's something that doesn't change as their SPD rating does, it's just another approximation.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Exactly the better your scouting staff the more accurate the colors they see and the more accurate their scouting report. But there also should be some variables involved where even the best scouts will occasionally miss on a player whereas the average and below average scouts will miss more frequently. It will add a huge level of realism to the game. You could even tie coaching into this, the better your coach the quicker ratings are revealed in pre-season.
Now if you go away from a XP system and move toward a potential system with a coaching staffs teaching attributes having a big effect on players, you would have my ideal REALISTIC game. Hire an entire coaching staff where you have to mix evaluation and teaching attributes to come up with the best coaching staff for your team. If we could somehow incorporate game planning attributes into a head coach I would be in heaven.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »