Home

Real video of commentary guys instead of cartoon?

This is a discussion on Real video of commentary guys instead of cartoon? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 22: 11 Features to Improve Stadium Creator
MXGP 2021 Review
Football Manager 22 Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #17
Rookie

Pixx4Sixx's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Real videoof commentary guys instead of cartoon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Actually disagree with the license aspect, Unless you can get CBS and fox on board, just stick with the EA brand.
I agree. One thing I have always longed for is for television broadcast presentation in Madden. I love NFL on FOX and wish we could get that implemented into Madden. Throw in a special ESPN broadcast on Monday night games, etc... Or hell, just spice up the prime time games.

I like the direction, but I would love it if EA put some cookies in the Prime Time games jar. An example is FIFA 14, for the World Cup. The presentation was different, and actually FELT different. For me the Super Bowls in every recent Madden I can remember has felt the same, besides the first 30 seconds and obviously the end of the game.

I'm really stoked to see how it is implemented in NHL 15. Time will tell though. I definitely liked what I saw from the NHL 15 video.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #18
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Real video of commentary guys instead of cartoon?

Having them rendered fits with the aesthetic of the rest of the game. It's fine as is.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #19
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

Re: Real videoof commentary guys instead of cartoon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixx4Sixx
I agree. One thing I have always longed for is for television broadcast presentation in Madden. I love NFL on FOX and wish we could get that implemented into Madden. Throw in a special ESPN broadcast on Monday night games, etc... Or hell, just spice up the prime time games.

I like the direction, but I would love it if EA put some cookies in the Prime Time games jar. An example is FIFA 14, for the World Cup. The presentation was different, and actually FELT different. For me the Super Bowls in every recent Madden I can remember has felt the same, besides the first 30 seconds and obviously the end of the game.

I'm really stoked to see how it is implemented in NHL 15. Time will tell though. I definitely liked what I saw from the NHL 15 video.
Well, once upon a time ...

Old 08-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #20
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I think having real world video or pics in the virtual world diminishes immersion, so I would not want to see something like this in Madden.
I agree with this. It's the reason I have mixed feelings about seeing QB videos during the game.

I don't think story-driven video games should have cut scenes with real actors, and the same idea could apply to sports video games. Plus the repetition would be more obvious.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #21
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

We were talking about this in one of the NHL presentation threads. If its done right, and there's enough videos to keep it random so you dont just want to turn it off after a few days, than I think it looks awesome. I really don't like the way Simms & Nantz look from that pre-game press box shot. They look terrible. If they looked like... say some of the characters from BF4 in cut scenes, then I'd feel better about it the way it is now, but if they aren't going to do that, I'd rather them explore the video option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #22
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

I'm sorry, but I've never understood this whole "immersion" thing with media. Never at any point playing a video game have I ever forgotten that I'm playing a video game -- I'm sitting in a room with a controller in my hands, looking at action on a screen. I never stop being aware of that, nor do I have any desire to.

The day I stop being able to separate animated fiction from reality is that day I get fitted for a buckled jacket with wraparound sleeves.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #23
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballDetails
I agree with this. It's the reason I have mixed feelings about seeing QB videos during the game.

I don't think story-driven video games should have cut scenes with real actors, and the same idea could apply to sports video games. Plus the repetition would be more obvious.
I see both sides of it. I think the perfect world is that the video game assets look nearly as good as the real-life ones and then you retain the potential flexibility along with staying in the world.

However, I actually really like the real-life NFL videos for QB intros for example. I think it's a nifty way to use real-world assets and maintain the world you've built as you don't directly need to interact with them or focus solely on them like you would with the commentators when they take center stage on the screen. However, it would be easy to make the same argument about seeing video game assets for your QB during the QB run out as well if they look close to lifelike.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #24
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertour02
I'm sorry, but I've never understood this whole "immersion" thing with media. Never at any point playing a video game have I ever forgotten that I'm playing a video game -- I'm sitting in a room with a controller in my hands, looking at action on a screen. I never stop being aware of that, nor do I have any desire to.

The day I stop being able to separate animated fiction from reality is that day I get fitted for a buckled jacket with wraparound sleeves.
Just quickly on this one as well. I don't think (at least most of the time) when people use the overused "immersion" word that they're literally saying they forget it's a video game. It's more the experience as you go through it, you don't want jarring elements that take you out of your game session. When you see a bug or you see something that doesn't fit quite right in the world, that sets something off in you, the user, that takes away from your focus on the game itself. I think in so many ways, that's more what the "immersion" is that people really speak about in that way because you just don't want things to intrude on what you're doing in the world.

TL;DR -- It's like seeing a glitch in the Matrix. It makes the brain question stuff and that's bad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »