Home

Madden 15 Impressions (Impressions Only!)

This is a discussion on Madden 15 Impressions (Impressions Only!) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #273
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Madden 15 Impressions (Impressions Only!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizoux
Guys complaning about the delay in between hot routes. I hope EA doesn't change that next year after hearing those complaints.
They shouldn't since they stated in the video that was exactly what they made the delay. These guys seem to want to get Madden where it needs to be. They have my support now. Lets see how it goes from here on out.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #274
Rookie

OVR: 3

I didn't purchase any Maddens last gen except the first one (06 or 07?), so I haven't really played this game in a while. I was a huge fan of the Madden series on PS2/Xbox, but I felt like last gen the engine just really sucked, to put it bluntly. It didn't play like football. Each year I would download the demo, play a quarter, and just be disgusted and turn it off. Got the EA Access thing and played Madden 25, and felt the same...turned it off after a few series, just didn't feel like football.

Madden 15 feels a LOT more like football than all of the iterations on last gen, but I still am not a fan. The graphics are very good, and the player proportions are finally correct (2K nailed this years ago, but Madden always looked really ridiculous). Presentation is cool, but slightly annoying. Way too much dead time for me where you are waiting for small cutscenes and camera cuts that you can't button through. Its nice looking, but annoying to be honest.

The gameplay like I said is much better than last gen, but it still doesn't do it for me. The running game still boils down to "press up", I really don't feel like I have any sort of nuanced control over the ball carrier. The moves I feel are largely ineffective, they rarely result in broken tackles. I also can't seem to pull off any sort of precision cuts. I will try to cut upfield and the player like stutters or sometimes stops and then cuts, totally killing momentum. It feels really awkward. It feels more weighty which is an improvement over last gen where you could seemingly make inhuman cuts where their legs looked to bend the wrong way, but it just doesn't feel fluid. I just feel like on each run play I gain what the game decides I will, I have little to no influence over it.

Passing feels largely the same. I can't really speak to how QB accuracy and stuff compares to recent games in the series, because like I said I haven't really played them. It feels slightly more timing based than what I remember, but it still isn't that great. A certain game that I don't think I'm allowed to mention nailed NFL passing, giving you a huge sense of how timing based and precise it needs to be, and I just don't feel that here. Again it feels like press a receiver button, see what the game gives you- complete/incomplete/interception, etc. They also seemed to have changed a lot of the controls for pre-snap adjustments, I found it confusing. Was able to hot route into some decent plays eventually, but it really doesn't feel like a step in a positive direction as a whole. Passing still feels weird.

Playing defense feels the same to me. A new camera and some contrived visual feedback doesn't really change the fact that playing defense feels really bland. I just don't really get the feel that my user-controlled player is making any sort of effect on the outcome of the game most of the time. Sometimes I can get pressure using a DL, but if I play any other position it seems like I do more harm than good, which I've found to be fairly typical with Madden. I'm not seeing any sort of change like the OS story proclaims, I don't find defense fun now. It feels the same with different presentation.

Overall I just feel like this game plays itself mostly, which is how I've always felt every since the jump to 360/PS3. I don't feel like I have full control like I did in the PS2/Xbox era. Yes, the game wasn't realistic really back then, but it was incredibly fun to play against the CPU and other humans, everything felt snappy and fluid, and I feel like any semblance of football strategy this game has now was all present back then too, just without the visuals and animations to support it.

Going to pass again this year. Just wanted to give my opinions coming from someone who has become disenchanted with Madden over the previous gen and used to be a hardcore lover. I feel like this Madden is more last gen than PS2/Xbox gen, which makes me sad. At 30, I guess Madden just isn't what it used to be for me anymore.

PS: The new playcalling screen is ATROCIOUS. Its extremely tragic IMO. I get what they tried to do with different ways to call a play, but it looks so cluttered, its a freaking mess. I wish there was an option to go back to regular 3 box playcalling. Just let me pick my formation and play without all the other clutter.

Also, is there any way to remove the auto zoom on plays after you catch the ball or on runs? I really really don't like it. I just want the same fixed classic camera the entire time, even after a completion and whatnot. I feel like the zoom really cuts field vision.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #275
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Just me but I have no issues with the play calling screen.
Maybe since I've had the game for a while now and am just used to it.. I don't know.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #276
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Just me but I have no issues with the play calling screen.
Maybe since I've had the game for a while now and am just used to it.. I don't know.
I have no major issues with it but it does feel needlessly large and a touch overwhelming to look at imo. Kind of torn on whether the community features they added like showing the previous play are a good thing or not.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #277
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandito
I have no major issues with it but it does feel needlessly large and a touch overwhelming to look at imo. Kind of torn on whether the community features they added like showing the previous play are a good thing or not.
Agree about the "clutter" look.
I could do without the community stuff also. Just give me a coach suggestion and my "gameplan" stuff (along with being able to pick via formation etc.. ) and I'm happy.

I turned off the previous play thing off in my settings... just don't need it.
Haven't played since I did that so looking forward to that lol

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612

Last edited by Skyboxer; 08-22-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #278
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandito
What's brutal about it is that you can't get rid of all the menu stuff if you just pick by formations, then when you select formation they all have to drop down and then scroll right and left through through the sets and then up and down through the plays.

The system for 25 you could select by formation as a preference there was no extra garbage in your face and you could scroll right and left through the formation and all the sets were there to pick from then up and down through plays.

There's just way too much clutter in the new system IMO and the navigation is brutal.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #279
BRING BACK F2000 HELMET!!

l8knight1's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw333
I didn't purchase any Maddens last gen except the first one (06 or 07?), so I haven't really played this game in a while. I was a huge fan of the Madden series on PS2/Xbox, but I felt like last gen the engine just really sucked, to put it bluntly. It didn't play like football. Each year I would download the demo, play a quarter, and just be disgusted and turn it off. Got the EA Access thing and played Madden 25, and felt the same...turned it off after a few series, just didn't feel like football.

Madden 15 feels a LOT more like football than all of the iterations on last gen, but I still am not a fan. The graphics are very good, and the player proportions are finally correct (2K nailed this years ago, but Madden always looked really ridiculous). Presentation is cool, but slightly annoying. Way too much dead time for me where you are waiting for small cutscenes and camera cuts that you can't button through. Its nice looking, but annoying to be honest.

The gameplay like I said is much better than last gen, but it still doesn't do it for me. The running game still boils down to "press up", I really don't feel like I have any sort of nuanced control over the ball carrier. The moves I feel are largely ineffective, they rarely result in broken tackles. I also can't seem to pull off any sort of precision cuts. I will try to cut upfield and the player like stutters or sometimes stops and then cuts, totally killing momentum. It feels really awkward. It feels more weighty which is an improvement over last gen where you could seemingly make inhuman cuts where their legs looked to bend the wrong way, but it just doesn't feel fluid. I just feel like on each run play I gain what the game decides I will, I have little to no influence over it.

Passing feels largely the same. I can't really speak to how QB accuracy and stuff compares to recent games in the series, because like I said I haven't really played them. It feels slightly more timing based than what I remember, but it still isn't that great. A certain game that I don't think I'm allowed to mention nailed NFL passing, giving you a huge sense of how timing based and precise it needs to be, and I just don't feel that here. Again it feels like press a receiver button, see what the game gives you- complete/incomplete/interception, etc. They also seemed to have changed a lot of the controls for pre-snap adjustments, I found it confusing. Was able to hot route into some decent plays eventually, but it really doesn't feel like a step in a positive direction as a whole. Passing still feels weird.

Playing defense feels the same to me. A new camera and some contrived visual feedback doesn't really change the fact that playing defense feels really bland. I just don't really get the feel that my user-controlled player is making any sort of effect on the outcome of the game most of the time. Sometimes I can get pressure using a DL, but if I play any other position it seems like I do more harm than good, which I've found to be fairly typical with Madden. I'm not seeing any sort of change like the OS story proclaims, I don't find defense fun now. It feels the same with different presentation.

Overall I just feel like this game plays itself mostly, which is how I've always felt every since the jump to 360/PS3. I don't feel like I have full control like I did in the PS2/Xbox era. Yes, the game wasn't realistic really back then, but it was incredibly fun to play against the CPU and other humans, everything felt snappy and fluid, and I feel like any semblance of football strategy this game has now was all present back then too, just without the visuals and animations to support it.

Going to pass again this year. Just wanted to give my opinions coming from someone who has become disenchanted with Madden over the previous gen and used to be a hardcore lover. I feel like this Madden is more last gen than PS2/Xbox gen, which makes me sad. At 30, I guess Madden just isn't what it used to be for me anymore.

PS: The new playcalling screen is ATROCIOUS. Its extremely tragic IMO. I get what they tried to do with different ways to call a play, but it looks so cluttered, its a freaking mess. I wish there was an option to go back to regular 3 box playcalling. Just let me pick my formation and play without all the other clutter.

Also, is there any way to remove the auto zoom on plays after you catch the ball or on runs? I really really don't like it. I just want the same fixed classic camera the entire time, even after a completion and whatnot. I feel like the zoom really cuts field vision.
You contradict yourself in this rant. You say you only played a few downs of Madden 25 and didn't like it but are wishing Madden 15 had the same playcalling screen? Madden 25 had that even if you are referring to a PS2 version of Madden. 'Confused' in they play-calling screen? Try playing more than a few downs of a recent version. Also, what are you comparing passing to? Madden 25, 2k, ps2 gens of each? At least you can still play 2k5.

Last edited by l8knight1; 08-22-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #280
Rookie

troy184's Arena

OVR: 2

My initial impression is that if this is the game that is released on Tuesday then it is totally broke. The Sim stats are ridiculously wrong and that in turn makes for CPU roster moves 1-4 years into your CFM that will make the NFL rosters as we know them unrecognizable. For instance 2 years in Philip Rivers should not be the 3rd string QB for the Packers. HOW DOES THIS GET BY THE GAME TESTING SECTION. It is pathetic. I will not be buying this broken product until it is fixed
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »