Home

Old 08-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #57
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Madden 15 Videos Day 3

I hate how small details always disappear from sports games.

Anyone remember when guys got injured in Madden on PS2 and they would come back with ankle tape for a few weeks on their injured ankle, or an elbow pad on an injured arm?

FIFA 12 actually did this too, guys coming back from knee injuries would be wearing a brace for a while, but then it disappeared the next year and hasn't been back since.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #58
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife6
Not Cleat colors.. actual cleat models. They still have nike vapor cleats from 2008 in the game. Still don't understand why they don't have the nike team gloves in the game either
Yeah and those were added in Madden 11, lol.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #59
Banned

JetLife6's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I think it just leads to them wanting to get the game done and out the door, which leads to some lazy design decisions and cutting corners. There's no other way to explain some of this stuff.

That.. or the way the game is designed is so convoluted and messy at this point.. that it is just layers and layers on top of a faulty foundation.

again, I don't think this matters too much.. but I'll use it as an example. Why has it been so difficult to add certain accessories to the players in the game? We've had this arm sleeve discussion for 3 years.. Only RG3 has one (albeit a fake one... it is just long sleeves with one arm disabled).

Does their coding have a butterfly effect to it? Like it they change one little thing here.. all of a sudden players won't tackle the right way or something?

It's the only thing that makes sense to me.. we've had cover athletes wearing equipment that isn't in the game..
Old 08-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #60
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

Quote:
That.. or the way the game is designed is so convoluted and messy at this point.. that it is just layers and layers on top of a faulty foundation.

again, I don't think this matters too much.. but I'll use it as an example. Why has it been so difficult to add certain accessories to the players in the game? We've had this arm sleeve discussion for 3 years.. Only RG3 has one (albeit a fake one... it is just long sleeves with one arm disabled).

Does their coding have a butterfly effect to it? Like it they change one little thing here.. all of a sudden players won't tackle the right way or something?

It's the only thing that makes sense to me.. we've had cover athletes wearing equipment that isn't in the game..
I'm almost certain that is also part of the problem as well. It's like a perfect storm over there at Tiburon.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #61
Banned

JetLife6's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I'm almost certain that is also part of the problem as well. It's like a perfect storm over there at Tiburon.
Like does it bother anyone else that games like NBA 2k have 1000 accessory options... but madden everyone looks the same?

Like watching the skins/browns game last night... RG3 had his sleeve on.. and a very short compression shirt coming out of his other arm. It looked so cool and unique. We can never achieve this uniqueness in madden (or any ea game for the matter) because we never get enough options.

I know these arent gameplay gripes.. and they dont necessarily affect the game.. but it seriously affects how the game looks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #62
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

Quote:

I definitely think it does. NCAA had all sorts of odd things for years, like editing the body of RB's would turn their arms skinny. If you edited attributes of o-linemen in Xan's external editor o-linemen legs would turn skinny (from editing attribute values only!). Not only that stuff, but guys have done some serious editing, and made the game play entirely differently, and even animate differently (triggering new animations, gameplay looking more fluid, etc...).

I have to believe there is just a terrible fundamental technology base in Madden carried over cycle to cycle from who knows how far back.

I know NHL and FIFA get a decent amount of hate, but I really am amazed by some of the gameplay design elements, and simulation facets I can achieve on higher difficulties with all manual controls, no assists, and some slider adjustments.

Madden is better, no doubt, but we still see many of the same issues and mistakes reappear any given cycle.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #63
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

Quote:

I know these arent gameplay gripes.. and they dont necessarily affect the game.. but it seriously affects how the game looks.
I think these are valid gripes. When I see new details I get more enjoyment out of the title—especially with how good so many aspects of Madden look on PS4. I brought it up before, I don't think I'm alone as the NCAA 07-14 and Madden 25 PS4 photo threads are massive on these boards.

Maybe it is a testament to the trend of instant gratification where the general Madden gamer is looking for a more narrow experience focusing solely on playing the game, and so the devs really have a mandate to narrow their focus similarly.

For me, I love to pause and watch plays over and over, close up, different angles, admire the uniform details, the field, the stadium, the lighting.

A lot of our complaints also aren't about adding new stuff, it's just making sure visual stuff that was in the game doesn't disappear.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #64
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Like does it bother anyone else that games like NBA 2k have 1000 accessory options... but madden everyone looks the same?

Like watching the skins/browns game last night... RG3 had his sleeve on.. and a very short compression shirt coming out of his other arm. It looked so cool and unique. We can never achieve this uniqueness in madden (or any ea game for the matter) because we never get enough options.

It's fair to call out this stuff as people STILL call it out like crazy for NBA 2K, which does have millions of accessories. Football for me is tough in that when I watch, I just feel like most guys blend together anyway because of pesky helmets. I have many times thought about how great it would be if a see-through helmet that was safe could work in NFL.

Anyway, when it comes to talking about games, folks probably shouldn't always be looking for weird theories like the code base is about to fall apart or one change breaks 100 other things (sometimes that does happen, but same goes for most other games). It's usually better to go with simple solutions like priorities or underlying tech doesn't support XYZ or whatever. Those are usually the better assumptions to make if you're going to go down that road.

Last edited by ChaseB; 08-19-2014 at 12:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »