Home

Digital or Disk?

This is a discussion on Digital or Disk? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2014, 01:34 PM   #97
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Digital or Disk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
Glad to see im not the only one. Got my Playstation TV preordered and looking forward to being able to play remotely within my house anywhere I want.
So the argument for PlayStation TV is "remote play"?? That's the same as the Vita then. However....I am curious does the PS TV lower the res of the game? Also can it be hooked up via Ethernet for faster response and less latency than wireless? I really love using remote play on the Vita but also realize it isn't perfect. Still you hardly notice the resolution loss on the Vita small screen. I am concerned the PS TV will not look good on a big screen.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #98

kaletore11's Arena

OVR: 10

Disk, simply because I like looking at my stacks of games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
Positive HIV test results > fans talking class in sports

Old 08-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #99
So Real!!

ckarlic's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicle22
So the argument for PlayStation TV is "remote play"?? That's the same as the Vita then. However....I am curious does the PS TV lower the res of the game? Also can it be hooked up via Ethernet for faster response and less latency than wireless? I really love using remote play on the Vita but also realize it isn't perfect. Still you hardly notice the resolution loss on the Vita small screen. I am concerned the PS TV will not look good on a big screen.
It does have an ethernet port so im hoping remote play would work better on the Playstation TV than on the PS vita.
New Youtube Gaming Channel -- SpicyChicharron
Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #100
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey986
I'd really like to see where you pulled that information from (I'm guessing it's where the sun don't shine) because gamestops business is completely dependent on the used game market.
Google is not hard, neither is being able to respectfully reply to other posters when you have a simple question.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/les.../1100-6421309/
Old 08-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #101
Rookie

OVR: 1

I took a survey which asked what it would take for me to purchase more games digitally. My answer was reduce the price to offset for lack of needing to produce the game on a disk, package it, and ship it and too offset the money I would lose on trade ins.

That was near the time the PS4 came out. I see nothing that has really changed, so I will continue to buy the disk.

I did the trade in with Best Buy this time, since the Gamestop offer sucked. Even the Gamestop guy said, man you should just take it to Best Buy, we can't beat that offer.

Best Buy gave me a $25 Gift Card, and a $10 off Madden 15 coupon last week for trading in a game I have used for a year. Can't really beat that digitally.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #102
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Google is not hard, neither is being able to respectfully reply to other posters when you have a simple question.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/les.../1100-6421309/
That's insane. They average 1.2 billion dollars a year in revenue through the used games market and 60% of their clientele don't even trade games in.

I'd be really curious to see how gamestop is coming to those conclusions though. I'm sure some of that 60% know they can trade games (considering any time I go to gamestop they go on and on about all their trade in deals) and just choose not to.

Like most have said here though, having a physical good that I can resell anytime I want outweighs the convenience of digital for me. Factor in that the game company is making even more money when someone buys digital yet aren't offering any incentive for us to do so (outside of convenience) and it'll be a long time before I go full digital.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #103
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey986
That's insane. They average 1.2 billion dollars a year in revenue through the used games market and 60% of their clientele don't even trade games in.

I'd be really curious to see how gamestop is coming to those conclusions though. I'm sure some of that 60% know they can trade games (considering any time I go to gamestop they go on and on about all their trade in deals) and just choose not to.

Like most have said here though, having a physical good that I can resell anytime I want outweighs the convenience of digital for me. Factor in that the game company is making even more money when someone buys digital yet aren't offering any incentive for us to do so (outside of convenience) and it'll be a long time before I go full digital.
I look at that article as more of an advertisement in disguise. I believe in there the guy states that the information is based on how many people take advantage of their trade in opportunity. So to me it is less about people not understanding you can do it, and more about they have dropped their trade in values so far people are going elsewhere to trade their games in. If they want to reinvigorate that business they have to go back to the way it was 10 years ago or so and make it worth someone's while to trade a game in.

For instance, last week I gave them a chance to match Best Buy's trade in. Gamestop offered me $7, and I got $35 from Best Buy. So it is more about their lack of keeping pace with the competition than their customer's ignorance.

Last edited by Jarbeez; 08-20-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #104
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
Glad to see im not the only one. Got my Playstation TV preordered and looking forward to being able to play remotely within my house anywhere I want.
Yeah same here..I'm hoping it works well. It's the reason I bought Diablo and Madden digitally....otherwise I doubt I would have. It's a huge reason to get people to go digital IMO, even if the prices don't change.

Now if it plays poorly...well then I likely will go back to physical media..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »