Home

Interesting article regarding Madden ratings

This is a discussion on Interesting article regarding Madden ratings within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Game of the Year 2021: Forza Horizon 5
Best Sports Game Trend in 2021: College Sports Coming Back
Best Franchise Mode in 2021: NBA 2K22

Old 08-22-2014, 12:12 AM   #81
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Interesting article regarding Madden ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
They're weighted differently. SPD will affect OVR more than say TRK or something...

It's there so the CPU can sort its depth chart. Id not mind an option to hide it, but still.

I'd love to know finally what AWR does (it affects overall a lot, or at least did a couple years ago)
As far as AWR, it's probably defensive positioning that a QB reads, a WR adjusts to on the fly, and RB's know where to run. They're literally aware of their surroundings. (One of the reasons I think that contribute to QB's turning 180 degrees to dump a ball off to the check down back when they shouldn't have been able to know where they were.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #82
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I get that.

But it's nothing but an arbitrary number.

There has never been a correlation between a players overall and the rest of their ratings. Way too many discrepancies.

Don't take me the wrong way, I get why they have it. I just wish it would be more of a combination of their attributes rather than a number decided by someone else.
It's almost as if Moore said, this guys good, he should be around X number OVR, even if his ratings dont support it, the number should be something the fans agree with given the particular player. Hence, Peyton's always in the high 90s (yes, he deserves it, but fans will go crazy to see Peyton in the low 90s, high 80s) or even why Romo's in the mid 80's (I think). Because even though his ratings may say different, fans know he SHOULD be a mid 80's guy. Am I making sense?
Old 08-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #83

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Quiet_Pro
It's almost as if Moore said, this guys good, he should be around X number OVR, even if his ratings dont support it, the number should be something the fans agree with given the particular player. Hence, Peyton's always in the high 90s (yes, he deserves it, but fans will go crazy to see Peyton in the low 90s, high 80s) or even why Romo's in the mid 80's (I think). Because even though his ratings may say different, fans know he SHOULD be a mid 80's guy. Am I making sense?
You are but I don't think Moore determines the OVR's.

Pretty sure that comes from the PR area.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:59 AM   #84
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Until someone shows me a correlation between overall and the other ratings I will never believe that overall is anything more than a "show me" rating.

I've asked for years. No one has ever been able to answer the question as to what on field trait overall affects.

All I care about is the individual ratings and how they affect gameplay.

To me overall means nothing and never really has since it's never been tied into anything specific.

And I know I quoted you but I'm not necessarily responding to you, just responding to the thread in general.

I just think far too many people look into overall way too much since it doesn't have a tangible affect on gameplay.
I agree with you completely, OVR is just a marketing tool to show the casual gamers that their favorite player is a 99. Look how many articles from non video game websites you find if you Google the words Madden Ratings. It creates buzz around the game before launch.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #85
Rookie

Only way they can justify having 0-99 ratings is if such small variations were accounted for.

The specific skill ratings just match up to the other player's opposing rating, resulting in an outcome. They just determine a likelihood for animations to play.

I like the idea of player specific ratings. I mean if there arent animations in the game to make a player look totally uncoordinated and unathletic, what is the point of the 0-50 range in anything? If a guy had 25 agility, he should fall on his kiester making a 90 cut.

A kicker who throws like a girl isnt captured in the studio, so what difference does it make whether his THP is a 5 or a 35?

I dont care who is rated what. They have to add some damn flavor to this game. Wish they would move away from the number model to an ability model.

If EA could take what they have and redefine the rules, it'd be awesome. Like what Chess 2 is all about. Same chess board and pieces, but there are modifiers to make it unpredictable and give the player back that sense of improvisation. Not the feeling that the game has already been solved and you have to act out the correct movements.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #86
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
You are but I don't think Moore determines the OVR's.

Pretty sure that comes from the PR area.
I would imagine OVR comes from someone ahead of him and he is left trying to figure out how to make that player match that OVR. I know Donny is the devil in these forums but knowing how EA (and most major corporations operate) I am willing to bet he has little to no say on the OVR of each player.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:48 AM   #87
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
I would imagine OVR comes from someone ahead of him and he is left trying to figure out how to make that player match that OVR. I know Donny is the devil in these forums but knowing how EA (and most major corporations operate) I am willing to bet he has little to no say on the OVR of each player.
Wut? He probably has all the say because that's his job. Do you think a suit is calling the shots on ratings? If it's not him who do you think has final say or gives him direction?

It's my understanding that he works on the rattings and the devs apparently give him feedback on how they affect the gameplay and they partner on some level.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #88
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMHIII
Wut? He probably has all the say because that's his job. Do you think a suit is calling the shots on ratings? If it's not him who do you think has final say or gives him direction?

It's my understanding that he works on the rattings and the devs apparently give him feedback on how they affect the gameplay and they partner on some level.
Like someone else said it's probably the PR/marketing team, ratings are one of the single biggest marketing features for the game year in and year out. I can't see EA as tightly controlled as they are allowing one person to do all of that himself. He works on ratings and does take feedback but that doesn't mean he sits there by himself and says Richard Sherman is a 99. He probably gets told Sherman is the most popular player in the game and our cover boy make sure he is a 99. He then goes through the stats, film, talks to devs etc and figures out his individual ratings and how to get him to that OVR EA wants to see.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »