Home

Interesting article regarding Madden ratings

This is a discussion on Interesting article regarding Madden ratings within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Interesting article regarding Madden ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Most of us don't agree with Donny's ratings (still scratching my head over Russell Wilson) but his ratings are one of the biggest marketing tools for EA to sell to the all important casual gamers. They want to see their favorite players have a tangible number that they can equate to how good he is vs their friends favorite players. I wish sports games would get away from the number ratings entirely, its one of the few things in sports gaming that has never evolved in over 3 decades. Personally none of it really affects me as I edit everything myself when I first get the game. It takes a little bit of time but it also helps me to learn who is on what team, which becomes very important in my CFM.
But if they do away with numbers ratings, etc then how will you be able to edit things yourselves? There has to be a rating system or some way to make those adjustments.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdawgpound
http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl...ers-attention/

Moore uses all sorts of metrics and measurements to come up with ratings. Then, he tweaks the numbers weekly after watching all the games and pondering feedback from fans and even the players themselves.

this is off twitter yesterday somebody posted this story.
The main problem I have in this article was the talk about the lineman's strength. So he is basically saying that he had no idea what he was rating this guy as, and then just threw up a huge number based on some of the teammates statements. Seems quite random to me.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #51
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Even if they hid the ratings , they still need to be there. Like when a QB has to make a tackle on an INT mentioned before.

If there was no tackle rating, how would the game know if the tackle was made or busted
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #52
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Even if they hid the ratings , they still need to be there. Like when a QB has to make a tackle on an INT mentioned before.

If there was no tackle rating, how would the game know if the tackle was made or busted
Physics !!!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #53
Rookie

Yeah, the numerical ratings can't be avoided in a videogame. Its all 1's and 0's so they will naturally assign numbers to what they are trying to translate to on field action. Doesn't necessarily have to be to 100, but I dont have a problem with the numbers he assigns, really.

What I have a problem with are the categories themselves not reflecting desirable football traits. Tangible, physical ratings are fine the way they are since they are measurable. The intangibles are trickier and should be graded in comparison to a player's peers.

On a slightly different note, a player is typically coached through HS and college and practices certain techniques: form tackling, catching, throwing mechanics, how to swivel his hips in coverage... on and on. Some players have different techniques. If every defender in Madden, for instance, uses tackle animations out of the same library, what is setting them apart from one another? The likelihood that a successful tackle animation plays? Or a big hit animation?

I think techniques need to be distinct, as well as the quality of those techniques. Visually, this technique could show up as a wrap-up tackler targeting the ballcarrier's hips and legs; the quality of this technique would show as how many yards he gives up after he makes contact.

Some WRs catch more with their bodies than their hands. Or they cradle it in as a fluid motion. Or they extend their arms more often. A lot of coaches I've been around place a lot of emphasis on catching away from your body. Some techniques are valued more than others while not necessarily being better, or correct.

I think the Madden team could reasonably add techniques while not outright replacing numerical values. They started adding abilities in the form of traits (bull rush, swim, spin). They need to take the next step in setting players apart, focusing on technique and body mechanics.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #54
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
Physics !!!
Physics doesn't quantify ability to identify a ballcarrier, ability to take a proper pursuit angle to the ball carrier, how fast he's able to run toward the ballcarrier, how strong the tackler is when attempting a tackle on a ballcarrier, tackling technique upon execution of a tackle of a ballcarrier, etc. etc.

Just saying "physics" doesn't solve the problem. You have to have numbers to drive the math behind the physics.

I'm all for masking or hiding them from the front-end, but the numbers still need to be there.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:47 PM   #55
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

In that article Moore contradicts himself. On one hand he says he watches game film, on the other he said he saw some youtube highlights and that is why the kicker gets his rating. I mean looking at some of the rating I see more youtube in them than game film.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #56
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Physics doesn't quantify ability to identify a ballcarrier, ability to take a proper pursuit angle to the ball carrier, how fast he's able to run toward the ballcarrier, how strong the tackler is when attempting a tackle on a ballcarrier, tackling technique upon execution of a tackle of a ballcarrier, etc. etc.

Just saying "physics" doesn't solve the problem. You have to have numbers to drive the math behind the physics.

I'm all for masking or hiding them from the front-end, but the numbers still need to be there.
Speed and Strength are already on the QBs ratings. However, once again. How can you make one QB have a better tackle or pursuit rating? QBs are poor tacklers and often miss the tackle or their angle is blown. I say physics, because most QB tackles are them just running into the ball carrier and hoping they trip them up (Tom Brady vs Carey Williams).

Again, rare case, but when pursuit angle doesn't matter, along with plenty of other ratings, which is the macro problem; you are all finding micro problems to knit pick. Once he gets the ratings to matter and work on a system that is successful, then you add in other things that may happen in one of every 60 games lol.

Eli Manning 2 tackles since 2007.
Big Ben 8 tackles since 2004
Peyton Manning 7 tackles since 1998
Tom Brady 8 since 2001
Drew Brees 13 since 2002
Michael Vick 8 since 2004

Etc.

So again, it's such a rare event (like switching a QB to WR) that it's something I could do without until he fixes and cleans the rating system up.

Last edited by BreakingBad2013; 08-20-2014 at 11:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »