Home

Running Tips

This is a discussion on Running Tips within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Running Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootzilla
Running is not very good. Very little control. The lack of control is pulling your runner like a magnet into traffic. A force field is pulling your runner into contact. It's been fine in other iterations but it's a bit wonky this year imo.

Harder doesn't make it better if it's unrealistic. We should be able to change direction and hit the openings with a plant and a cut not these ridiculously long gathers that no NFL runningback needs to do especially if you are just feathering the stick and not hitting turbo.

What really stinks is that in practice mode you have control but in games you get sucked in to defenders or right into your blockers back. By design it seems as the cpu is picking the wrong hole for your runner and giving you little ability to take him off of his wrong path unless it is dives right up the middle.
Dont understand why Tiburon can't use the Ignite Engine and get FIFA's running, they have a system where players take short steps, studder steps, different strides all while giving the user total control.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
My problem seems to be against users. There seems to be a suction hit stick in the 2nd level. I can see it coming and no matter where i juke, cut, I get blasted.I can't take a hit from the side and fall forward. It's like I get succked into a hitstick and knocked backwards, even though I should have plenty of time to make them miss or hit me in the side.
BINGO, notice this a lot when the ball carrier is near the first down marker.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #75
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman_legend24
Sigh, I wish they could tune this a little bit. R2 = cpu unleashing hell on your running backs.

It's not just RBs, it happened to me on special teams yesterday:

Broke a punt return off around midfield, was running up the right sideline with one guy taking a bad angle at me(the punter!), I made it by him and was a good 5 yds past him with about 25 yds to paydirt, when I noticed him GAINING on me! He nearly ran me down and no, I wasn't out of stamina. If he had 5 more yds he WOULD have! This wasn't your avg punt returner I was either, I was 98 SPD, DeSean Jackson from Washington... If that doesn't prove the CPU Ai has some sort of suction/magnet tackle god-mode, nothing will.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebennayx
Runners don't sprint in real life until they're sure they've got a lane, and most often CAN'T sprint until they get past the second and third level defenders anyway.

I definitely have to disagree with this. I know you want this to be realistic but... nobody jogs through holes. They move fast as possible in the current situation they are in. Of course they run faster in the open field. But its no reason for me to have to job to the side line in order to get to the outside without defenders sucking to me. I was using Reggie Bush... He does not jog until he sees a hole...I take the hand off cut and go. Powerbacks run with speed and ram up through the middle.

The current running sucks... Of course if you are using Adrian Peterson you wont have this issue like most of us. Thats like me saying catching is easy, but I use megatron.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #77
Rookie

Quote:
I definitely have to disagree with this. I know you want this to be realistic but... nobody jogs through holes. They move fast as possible in the current situation they are in. Of course they run faster in the open field. But its no reason for me to have to job to the side line in order to get to the outside without defenders sucking to me. I was using Reggie Bush... He does not jog until he sees a hole...I take the hand off cut and go. Powerbacks run with speed and ram up through the middle.

The current running sucks... Of course if you are using Adrian Peterson you wont have this issue like most of us. Thats like me saying catching is easy, but I use megatron.
I suppose I should clarify that I rarely use L2...I just don't sprint. I think we're seeing things differently and have different expectations.

Quote:
I definitely have to disagree with this. I know you want this to be realistic but... nobody jogs through holes. They move fast as possible in the current situation they are in.
I agree with both of these 100%. There's a clear difference between sprinting, running, and jogging...if there's a hole, even if a defender hasn't been sealed off, don't L2 up to it. Get to, and get through that hole.

Quote:
But its no reason for me to have to jog to the side line in order to get to the outside without defenders sucking to me.
I think OP clarified L2 isn't the best practice on outside runs. More importantly, as mrprice33 pointed out on page 5, follow your keys. If the defender got upfield and took away your outside lane, don't sprint into his waiting arms, find your hole and make your cut upfield. If the blocker has the edge sealed, sprint for the sideline and prepare to try to cut upfield after.

Quote:
I was using Reggie Bush... He does not jog until he sees a hole...I take the hand off cut and go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lTeZmTRe2Q

0:11, 0:46, 1:09 - All show a patient Reggie Bush disagreeing with you.
0:18, 0:29, 0:37, 0:51 - Show running lanes set up by the lineman (0:18 against my Vikings is especially gaping ). 1:02 even shows you what to look for before hitting sprint with all defenders being sealed off.

That's as far as I watched before the Honolulu Blue started to burn my retinas.

Quote:
I vehemently disagree - it's different from years past, and it's difficult, but it absolutely doesn't suck. I love that the linemen downblock on a Power run - even if/when my FB whifs on his assignment and I go for -4 yards. I love that the Trap works exactly as it should and if I run it against a Wide formation with no A gap blitz, I'm likely to get 5 or more. I love that, if my widest in-line TE can't seal the outside on a stretch, I can cut it back looking for a lane created in the area the defender just gave up to gain the edge.

I can't agree with mrprice33 more, if you know your blocking assignments based on the type of run, you have a higher likelyhood of knowing WHEN to sprint and in what gap.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #78
Banned

2 words man, suck tackling... That plus the new run game equals failure.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #79
MVP

Darkleaf's Arena

OVR: 19

Great tips! L2 is key imo, I dont know if its been mentioned do not hit x while holding L2 you will fumble its kind of hilarious tho..
Old 09-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #80
Rookie

Here's a great running play using the precision modifier while hitting the hole.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »