Home

Scouting Tips

This is a discussion on Scouting Tips within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #25
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Scouting Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Awareness is a waste of scouting points IMO, it is one of the easiest things to upgrade in the game.
Well in M13/M25 it immediately told you if a guy was worthwhile or not and possibly tipped off a "sleeper". It was almost a guarantee that a B AWR guy projected in later rounds of the stock draft classes were legit. I don't know if it's the same this year.

Shameless plug: in the online league I play in there's a rule requiring AWR be a certain level...

Spoiler

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #26
Rookie

JRT2006's Arena

OVR: 5

I'm not sure how well my scout strategy will work as I haven't completed a full season yet, but my approach is:
Scout players that fit my system first. I run a balanced offense and attacking 3-4 defense. Guys that fit that system are first. Then I narrow it down to player type I require. Balanced offense pocket passer, he gets scouted first, and I scout the attributes that are required for that playerror type. I have my positions ranked 1-10 based on what needs upgraded the most.
It's probably a more realistic apoach to scouting, so it will probably fail
Old 09-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #27
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Well in M13/M25 it immediately told you if a guy was worthwhile or not and possibly tipped off a "sleeper". It was almost a guarantee that a B AWR guy projected in later rounds of the stock draft classes were legit. I don't know if it's the same this year.

Shameless plug: in the online league I play in there's a rule requiring AWR be a certain level...

Spoiler
Just our of curiosity what is this rule for? Competitive balance?
Old 09-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #28
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Just our of curiosity what is this rule for? Competitive balance?

It's mainly so people can't exploit the salary system in Madden. It goes off OVR and doesn't really account for production. This will increase OVR a few points across the board on younger players and increase their salary demands, therefore making salary cap management that much more important.

There's no real penalty for a team to stick a 35 AWR QB like Logan Thomas in the starting lineup. Then when it's time for a contract he can have success but the contract won't reflect what type of player he is for his team

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 09-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #29
Banned

im in now franchise yr 14 and learned somehow how to draft decently as well as finding late round gems

for each position:

qb- for late round, simply unlock awr. most of them have "F" rating.if "c" or better is revealed, unlock thp and tha(short, medium. deep)

hb- i dont like receiving back. for speed type, i usually go for full acouts (just in hope of rare find of chris johnson type) that case is scarce ofc
i dont like power back either. i can use him for good backup though

wr- catch in middle. its indication of how productive he will be i think
even if he has good catch rating, he seems not rack up many yards when he has bad CIM

te- physical.(most of busts have "C" or lower. so unlock physical for late round find)

ot- agility, strengh, pass block, run block (i think agility is key here. for all good ot i have drafted had " B " or higher agility. simply scout agility for late round gems)

og,c - strengh, agility, run block, pass block (i pass a player if he has c or lower agility)

de- block shedding, agility, strengh (i pass a player if he has "c" or lower block shedding. for late round, simply unlock block shed first)
dt- strengh, block shedding, agility

olb- agility, block shedding
mlb- strengh, block shedding
cb- agility, man cov
s- physical, strengh, zone cov ( i have found all good safeties have good rating at physical and strengh. i didnt fall for looking good player with bad grades in those areas)

k/p- its weird every kicker/punters in m15 has "a" or "b" kick pwr/ accuracy but most of them have 50-70 ovr
i had to unlock ovr to draft k/p unfortunately

scout pts are not too many this year. so i reveal one or two rating first to know he is great/solid/ bad. then i narrow my choice for each position
for important pick, i scout overall
Old 09-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by graman
im in now franchise yr 14 and learned somehow how to draft decently as well as finding late round gems

for each position:

qb- for late round, simply unlock awr. most of them have "F" rating.if "c" or better is revealed, unlock thp and tha(short, medium. deep)

hb- i dont like receiving back. for speed type, i usually go for full acouts (just in hope of rare find of chris johnson type) that case is scarce ofc
i dont like power back either. i can use him for good backup though

wr- catch in middle. its indication of how productive he will be i think
even if he has good catch rating, he seems not rack up many yards when he has bad CIM

te- physical.(most of busts have "C" or lower. so unlock physical for late round find)

ot- agility, strengh, pass block, run block (i think agility is key here. for all good ot i have drafted had " B " or higher agility. simply scout agility for late round gems)

og,c - strengh, agility, run block, pass block (i pass a player if he has c or lower agility)

de- block shedding, agility, strengh (i pass a player if he has "c" or lower block shedding. for late round, simply unlock block shed first)
dt- strengh, block shedding, agility

olb- agility, block shedding
mlb- strengh, block shedding
cb- agility, man cov
s- physical, strengh, zone cov ( i have found all good safeties have good rating at physical and strengh. i didnt fall for looking good player with bad grades in those areas)

k/p- its weird every kicker/punters in m15 has "a" or "b" kick pwr/ accuracy but most of them have 50-70 ovr
i had to unlock ovr to draft k/p unfortunately

scout pts are not too many this year. so i reveal one or two rating first to know he is great/solid/ bad. then i narrow my choice for each position
for important pick, i scout overall
Thank you. Excellent information.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #31
Rookie

Willinders's Arena

What I have been using the past few maddens, and is probably cheating, and only works for offline mode is:
-Don't spend a single scouting point all season
-Save the franchise on the last offseason stage before the draft,(360 would have to turn off autosave, but the xbox1 version keeps the auto-saves separate anyway)
-Grab a notepad or an excel file, jot down notes or get technical if you want
-Use all your scouting points
-Restart franchise...use all points again
-Repeat until comfortable with the draft, because imo they dont give you anywhere near enough points to get a good feel for the draft, especially if you want to look at overall or development rating.
-After that you may want to do a trial run of the draft to see where the players you have highlighted get drafted because if they are a gem or a bust, they may be drafted in a different range than their rankings indicate. I just end up doing the first round for the crucial players and then just making sure to draft the later round steals about a round ahead of their predicted draft position to be safe.
-Last thing before the draft now is to trade around and try to get the picks that you think you need to be in position to draft the players you want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #32
Rookie

killacam96's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willinders
What I have been using the past few maddens, and is probably cheating, and only works for offline mode is:
-Don't spend a single scouting point all season
-Save the franchise on the last offseason stage before the draft,(360 would have to turn off autosave, but the xbox1 version keeps the auto-saves separate anyway)
-Grab a notepad or an excel file, jot down notes or get technical if you want
-Use all your scouting points
-Restart franchise...use all points again
-Repeat until comfortable with the draft, because imo they dont give you anywhere near enough points to get a good feel for the draft, especially if you want to look at overall or development rating.
-After that you may want to do a trial run of the draft to see where the players you have highlighted get drafted because if they are a gem or a bust, they may be drafted in a different range than their rankings indicate. I just end up doing the first round for the crucial players and then just making sure to draft the later round steals about a round ahead of their predicted draft position to be safe.
-Last thing before the draft now is to trade around and try to get the picks that you think you need to be in position to draft the players you want.
PROBABLY cheating??? haha. yeah, this is dumb. takes all the fun out of it. smh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »