Home

Scouting Tips

This is a discussion on Scouting Tips within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #33
Rookie

KickassJohnson's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Scouting Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by killacam96
PROBABLY cheating??? haha. yeah, this is dumb. takes all the fun out of it. smh.
lmao 'probably cheating'.. I mean if I was playing poker and went around looking at everyone's hand it would probably be cheating too

I only scout the dev trait, speed, consistency, and maybe a few other essentials.. seems to work fine
Old 09-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT2006
I'm not sure how well my scout strategy will work as I haven't completed a full season yet, but my approach is:
Scout players that fit my system first. I run a balanced offense and attacking 3-4 defense. Guys that fit that system are first. Then I narrow it down to player type I require. Balanced offense pocket passer, he gets scouted first, and I scout the attributes that are required for that playerror type. I have my positions ranked 1-10 based on what needs upgraded the most.
It's probably a more realistic apoach to scouting, so it will probably fail
I also scout within my scheme, and I did pretty good last time with 3 SuperStar dev players and 2 other decent players. One was a bust and 2 were late rounders that probably won't end up being much. (I had 8 picks)

Considering the amount of scouting XP you get, and how how the draft board looks after doing so, I think that is what they designed the game to do (you end up with even distribution of players through all rounds on your draft board).

Only exception is that I do all 3-4 defenses because I run ZB 3-4 (I am Steelers) and there aren't many of those guys to draft. If you are within any 3-4 you only take a 10 point confidence hit, the guys I picked in other 3-4s came in at 40 confidence. (Eventually I will set my scheme between "attacking", "base", and "ZB" depending on what players I have, the one that benefits my team the most I will select).

I'm pretty sure you get a slight XP boost when you hit your weekly goals when the player fits your team scheme, plus you don't take the confidence hit that some rookies get if they don't fit your scheme.

The downside being that you are limiting yourself to a smaller player pool, and you may leave yourself a bit light in what you can choose from in certain positions depending on your scheme. Like you may only see 1 or 2 LT that have balanced offense in the whole draft (for example).

I don't really put a premium on player type either, while it gives you an idea of the player strengths, the only thing that matters are the attributes for YOUR set up. If a player is "run stopper" CB for example, he could still have all A's in all coverage skills (in fact this happened with me and I got a stud CB who covers like a corner and hits like a safety) and be the best fit for your team even if your set up in your scheme to have "man to man" corners.

Once I get the double scouting points and have more points, I may tinker with a sort of hybrid system. Where at the top of the draft, when scouting players you are hoping to plug in right away and start, I will do within the scheme. They will come in with good confidence levels and will get the small dev bonus.

But I will possibly expand some of the late rounders to other schemes, it may give you a better chance to find a late round gem with more possibilities. Plus if you are just drafting for depth and don't plan on finding a late round starter necessarily, the confidence shouldn't be too important because eventually you can build that up when you need him to play a more prominent role. He wouldn't need high confidence right away like a higher round pick.

But I do like the idea of drafting in scheme overall it just feels a bit more realistic and does actually have some benefits with the confidence and slight XP boosts.

Last edited by burth179; 09-15-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #35
Rookie

killacam96's Arena

OVR: 1

burth179, I absolutely agre with you on the schemes. I really enjoy trying to keep to my scheme. Adds just another challenge and a bit more of realism. It's just too easy to 'probalby cheat' so this keeps it a little more realistic. I was avoiding scouthing 'attacking 4-3' players when i run 'base 4-3' but I like your take on that, so I will adjust. Thanks for your input.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #36
MVP

TheDutchDad's Arena

OVR: 12

This is an awesome thread. It's helped me a lot in drafting.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #37
Rookie

KickassJohnson's Arena

OVR: 3

What exactly does the 'physical' rating represent?
Old 09-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickassJohnson
It's a weighted score of all of a player's physical attributes combined (speed, acceleration, strength, etc.). It's weighted towards the scheme that you run, just like overall is. That means teams that use different schemes will see the same player's rating differently.

Intangibles (INT) is the same way, only it deals more with a player's "football skills" which are more specific to their position.

The gist is that if a player has high ratings in these categories, he's probably going to be a good fit for your scheme.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickassJohnson
The athletic ability of the player.

For a WR his physical rating includes things like speed, acceleration, agility, jumping,etc

Intangible would be skills like catching, route running, release, etc
Old 09-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by killacam96
burth179, I absolutely agre with you on the schemes. I really enjoy trying to keep to my scheme. Adds just another challenge and a bit more of realism. It's just too easy to 'probalby cheat' so this keeps it a little more realistic. I was avoiding scouthing 'attacking 4-3' players when i run 'base 4-3' but I like your take on that, so I will adjust. Thanks for your input.
Well 4-3 has a lot more players to choose from (in both "base" and "attacking") so you can probably get away with just scouting one system.

I would scout specifically for zone blitz 3-4 but there simply aren't enough players that fit that scheme available to draft (which is realistic, because not too many teams run that scheme)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »