Home

What Happened to Position Editing?

This is a discussion on What Happened to Position Editing? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #25
Banned

TrufflesEater's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What Happened to Position Editing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncsoulja
Was this during the season or during offseason? I can't test now, but have heard it mentioned the in season has no stats penalties.
You can only change a player's position during the offseason, just after the draft. Can't do it "in season." You can, however, move a player to a different position in the depth chart. Maybe you're thinking of that. Sometimes the attribute penalties for playing "out of position" are small.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2014, 02:03 AM   #26
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjneff
You guys defending this is ridiculous to me. An OLs skill is not going to change because he changes position. It may be that his skill set doesn't match the new position, but the actual skills aren't suddenly going to go away. Do you think he somehow forgot how to block because he switched sides? Players who can and can't play certain spots on the line are due to their physical characteristics, not because they can block from one spot and not the other.
I understand the point your trying to make but it's not about forgetting how to block, every NFL lineman knows how to block even the scout team guys. It's what you before that his skill set doesn't match that position. So while that guy may be an 89 while pass blocking on the right side, because he is playing out of position he might only be an 82 on the left side. It's not that he forgot how to block its that his skillset doesn't match the new position. This is all player to player though because I have moved some RT's to LT and had little (2 points) to no drop-off.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #27
Banned

TrufflesEater's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Same here.

Yet numerous posters have said that attributes do change. So then the question is what determines whether or not attributes drop?
Just happen to be at the stage after the draft, when Roster Adjustment is an available action. Schemes for LG and RG are the same. Moved a rookie LG to RG. Nothing changed. Moved a veteran LG to RG. Nothing changed. Moved them both back to LG. Nothing changed.

Also tried the same thing with a rookie ROLB. Scheme is the same for all LB positions. Moved him to LOLB. Nothing changed.

I have too many LTs, and for two seasons I have played one "out of position" at RT by putting him there in the depth chart. His AWR at RT drops by 9 from 89 to 80. No other attributes are affected.

If, on the other hand, I use Roster Adjustment to change his position to RT, his his AWR again drops by 9 but his RBL and PBL also drop by 10, causing his INT to drop by 14 and his OVR to fall by 7. Why the difference between the case of LG and RG? The "Schemes" are different. Pass Blocker for LT and Run Blocker for RT. ( BTW, I think it is somewhat confusing to call "Pass Blocker," "Run Blocker," etc. "Schemes": yes this designation is accessed through Team>Team Road Map>Schemes, but I think it is less confusing and more accurate to call them "Player Styles," as they are called during scouting.)

Another difference between LG/RG and LT/RT, as I have it set up, is that there is no awareness penalty for playing LG out of position at RG (or vice versa) by putting them there in the depth chart. Again, this is because the Player Style ("Scheme") is the same at the two positions.

So, if you like to move players around in the depth chart or change their positions, use the same "Player Style" for the positions you plan on shuffling them between. For symmetrical positions (LG/RG, ROLB/LOLB, etc.) there will be no attribute penalty. For similar positions (SS/FS, etc.) the penalty will be significantly reduced (checked this but won't write up the details).
Old 09-27-2014, 02:50 AM   #28
Banned

TrufflesEater's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjneff
You guys defending this is ridiculous to me. An OLs skill is not going to change because he changes position. It may be that his skill set doesn't match the new position, but the actual skills aren't suddenly going to go away. Do you think he somehow forgot how to block because he switched sides? Players who can and can't play certain spots on the line are due to their physical characteristics, not because they can block from one spot and not the other.
Although the game doesn't model the causes in detail, there are may reasons switching from one position to another could result in decreased skill. Playbook knowledge. Asymmetrical physical qualities (especially in the oft injured bodies of professional football players). Different types of assignments (guards pulling, centers double-teaming, etc.).

I don't think it's "ridiculous"; I think it's realistic. (Props for spelling the word right.)

Last edited by TrufflesEater; 09-27-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #29
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatiger13
I have moved several players from Lt to Rt and vice versa. The same with the Guard, Olb and D-end positions. I have never seen a single point dropped on any attributes. I have written down all ratings before moving them, to see what changed, since it warns you that their ratings will change. But the ratings never changed.

Only time things have changed, is if I move a Wr to Rb or Te, or something like that.
I changed Jason Pier Paul to an OLB and then back to a DE. When he returned to DE, his ratings were lower than before I moved him. Went from a 95 in my scheme to an 89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
This question has been asked and answered multiple times in the Q and A thread, which is why they have that thread.

You have two options one you can change the position before you start your CFM and save that roster, the other is in the offseason.
50,000 posts is not my idea of organization. In fact, that is far more disorganized.

Basically what they did is throw every conceivable topic into one single garbage bin and said, "have fun searching@!" Seriously whoever designed that system could not have put much thought into organizing things. "Cluttering the boards" is the lamest of all excuses for that. All you have to do to ensure the things you want users to see are there for them to see is use the sticky function. And multiple questions on the same topic? Simply MERGE the threads as you find them. If many threads are being made regarding the topic, it's pretty obvious many people are looking for the answer. Throwing everything into a single trash bin thread will accomplish exactly the opposite of enabling users to find answers to their questions.

Would someone please enlighten me as to how throwing every conceivable topic into ONE thread makes ANY sense whatsoever in terms of order?

*note: your reply proves the method of throwing every conceivable question into one Q and A thread IS NOT WORKING as it apparently is expected to.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 09-27-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #30
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I changed Jason Pier Paul to an OLB and then back to a DE. When he returned to DE, his ratings were lower than before I moved him. Went from a 95 in my scheme to an 89.

50,000 posts is not my idea of organization. In fact, that is far more disorganized.

Basically what they did is throw every conceivable topic into one single garbage bin and said, "have fun searching@!" Seriously whoever designed that system could not have put much thought into organizing things. "Cluttering the boards" is the lamest of all excuses for that. All you have to do to ensure the things you want users to see are there for them to see is use the sticky function. And multiple questions on the same topic? Simply MERGE the threads as you find them. If many threads are being made regarding the topic, it's pretty obvious many people are looking for the answer. Throwing everything into a single trash bin thread will accomplish exactly the opposite of enabling users to find answers to their questions.

Would someone please enlighten me as to how throwing every conceivable topic into ONE thread makes ANY sense whatsoever in terms of order?

*note: your reply proves the method of throwing every conceivable question into one Q and A thread IS NOT WORKING as it apparently is expected to.
Luckily for you that Garbage Bin only has 1,219 posts instead of 50,000. That is 48,781 less posts for you to go through. The reason they use just one thread is because if they don't there would 600+ additional threads started many of them asking the same exact questions that have already been answered. A lot easier to have just one QA section, one Photograph section, one Video section and so on.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞

Search feature.

Out of curiosity I opened that thread and searched it for "position editing."
Took me two minutes to find the answer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #32
"I reckon so."

Last Gunfighter's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatiger13
I have moved several players from Lt to Rt and vice versa. The same with the Guard, Olb and D-end positions. I have never seen a single point dropped on any attributes. I have written down all ratings before moving them, to see what changed, since it warns you that their ratings will change. But the ratings never changed.

Only time things have changed, is if I move a Wr to Rb or Te, or something like that.
I am playing as the Bills, if I move the LOLB to ROLB he goes from like a 77 to and 87 OVR, and that just one example. Swapping from one side to the other for any position definitely can cause some big changes in ratings.

"If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" -Tuco

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »