Home

Let's talk about DEFENSE

This is a discussion on Let's talk about DEFENSE within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5
Arrow Let's talk about DEFENSE

The thing that has impressed me the most about M15 is definitely the defense. Zones are MUCH more effective and defenders actually jump outs and curl routes now.

Most people I've played online will opt to stay in Cover 3 or Cover 4 all game. This is because the yellow zones(LBs) play the deep routes much much deeper now. Last year, the yellow zone would strafe with the receiver up to a certain point and then drop back down leaving the middle of the field wide open. This doesn't happen anymore.

In order to open up the streak in the middle of the field, you must have a crossing route to occupy the LB(or whoever is in the yellow zone) and it will suck him back down instead of strafing all the way up with the streak.

Crossing routes are so popular this year because zones play so far up the field now.....leaving the underneath pretty open. I've been running a 4-3 under scheme online and have great success with it. I use the LB on the line to cover the underneath routes, while the DBs and 2 other LBs cover the outside and middle. Some games I can literally stay in 4-3 all game long against any formation.

Sending heavy pressure while lurking the middle/underneath usually gives me good results. I've had a few shutouts too. Any further tips etc would be appreciated.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Pro

kc10785's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Let's talk about DEFENSE

What's your strategy against players who come out 3 or 4 wide and run mid draws and other plays with a mix of passing plays with drags, sit down routes, in routes, and post routes. The most popular thing online is getting a fast back and running out of shotgun

Sent From The Computer Lab at Professors X School of The Gifted
"For me, winning isn't something that happens suddenly on the field when the whistle blows and the crowds roar. Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you train and every night that you dream." -Emmitt Smith
Old 09-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc10785
What's your strategy against players who come out 3 or 4 wide and run mid draws and other plays with a mix of passing plays with drags, sit down routes, in routes, and post routes. The most popular thing online is getting a fast back and running out of shotgun

Sent From The Computer Lab at Professors X School of The Gifted
Actually, runs out of shotgun havent given me much trouble this year. The only time i had trouble with shotgun runs is when I played a guy who had the Eagles and ran alot of inside zones and counters. Shady ran for 220 yards on me....but i stopped him from scoring the entire 2nd half and adjusted to shut down the run.

My strategy for shutting down the run is risky but it works well if your opponent doesn't catch on. I put one of my safeties in a QB spy. This makes them shoot to the line of scrimmage automatically and allows you to dive in and stuff the run quicker. Don't do this every play though or else you will get beat over the top. Inside runs like dives are VERY effective this year and need to be toned down.

Now if someone comes out in 3/4 wide receiver sets and mixes up the run and pass well......I still would stay in 4-3 and just bring pressure to force quick throws or sacks.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 09-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 11

I was playing yesterday, and was thinking to myself Cover 3 Sky is overpowered. It kills like every Play I called.

The only play that gets me consistent success against Cover 3 sky are in routes.

I haven't tried to dissect the Cover 4 yet, I usually throw to the check down when I see cover 4.

Playactions work well against zones also, they really suck the LB in like real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »