Home

Is This The Worst AI QB play In A Long Time?

This is a discussion on Is This The Worst AI QB play In A Long Time? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #65
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Is This The Worst AI QB play In A Long Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
Man, I'm getting completely different gameplay on my game... I just faced Cam Newton in week 1 of my CFM and Cam scrambled at least 10-15 times. I was able to sack him a lot towards the end when they were forced to try to throw down the field and I was able to just drop back in coverage and get some coverage sacks, but before that last drive where I sacked him 3 times in a row, my team had maybe 2 or 3 sacks, and he threw it on the run at least 5 or 6 times, one of which he rolled out to his right and fired down the field for a 60 yard TD. At the same time though, there were at least 4 or 5 times in my game where he let a pass sail over his receiver's head or led his man a little too much and stuff. My only complaint was that he had one or two passes where he threw it on the run when he could have simply stepped into the pass, and of his passes on the run was on a play where he was running backwards.

Really weird reading that people are getting a completely different experience.
What settings are you playing on?

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #66
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
Man, I'm getting completely different gameplay on my game... I just faced Cam Newton in week 1 of my CFM and Cam scrambled at least 10-15 times. I was able to sack him a lot towards the end when they were forced to try to throw down the field and I was able to just drop back in coverage and get some coverage sacks, but before that last drive where I sacked him 3 times in a row, my team had maybe 2 or 3 sacks, and he threw it on the run at least 5 or 6 times, one of which he rolled out to his right and fired down the field for a 60 yard TD. At the same time though, there were at least 4 or 5 times in my game where he let a pass sail over his receiver's head or led his man a little too much and stuff. My only complaint was that he had one or two passes where he threw it on the run when he could have simply stepped into the pass, and of his passes on the run was on a play where he was running backwards.

Really weird reading that people are getting a completely different experience.
There was a rumor that Cam Newton plays different than other qbs in the game. You may have just proved it
Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #67
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

I am confident they are patching the sack issue.

I am done with roster edits. It is a temporary fix to begin with because we all know in CFM rookie QB's will begin to populate within 3-5 years in.

I did this to make the game far more enjoyable while I/we wait for a fix. Once the patch drops some further slider adjustments will be made to account for the patch....and then we are playing hardcore till next release.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 09-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #68
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Hopfully they fix the sack issue an the high qb % because qb rarely go deeper than 6 yds

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #69
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
There's a couple reasons why this happens and they all pretty much combine together to create the issue.

One is user coverage. It's just bad and, from my experience, nothing like the CPU's. Even if you have guys designed to play the flats it seems like you can't trust them to cover near the line of scrimmage or even be in the flats. This is part of the reason the CPU dumps it off so quick most of the time because it's damn near always open immediately before other routes even develop.

Another is playcalling. The playbooks are all huge but they're still using the same 20-play per situation gameplan calls which leaves a ton of plays (and routes) completely unused by the CPU. Most gameplans have maybe 10 passes or so per situation and a lot of them are used for multiple situations which is why there is so much "Slants" and "Curl Flats" ran by the CPU. Just looking at the Broncos playbook when I did, they have SO many Denver specific plays that the CPU will never use because it's not part of any situation in the gameplan.

If they were to tune the QB's to be smarter and more aggressive as well as making the user coverage tighter then things would be a lot better. They need to be more aggressive so they'll actually throw into coverage more and not take as many sacks and coverage needs to be tighter so they aren't able to always just dump it off to the back or TE out of the backfield. If they just make the QB's more aggressive and take less sacks QB's are going to be as "robo" as ever I think because the coverage will still be extremely loose.
This post precisely explains what the problem is. I posted similar thoughts in my initial impressions. There isn't a QB accuracy issue. It's all about the AI, play calling, and dumbed down user pass coverage in the flats.

The play calling in EA football games has been the biggest under the radar issue in years and it never gets discussed. Do yourself a favor and make note of what plays the CPU calls in your next game. Yeah, you'll get a little bit of read option from the usual suspects, but it's all basically, Stick, curls, slants, screens, and four verticals. Throw in the fact that the user secondary still doesn't cover the buzz zones and you have a quick release CPU that dumps it in the flats the majority of the time. So I started using what ever DB/LB assigned to that zone on the strong side of the formation to take that route away. What happens? The majority of the time it's a sack.

With the exception of the lack of coverage in the buzz zones, I think the USER pass coverage is pretty good on All Pro. On All Madden, it's a joke. To experiment, I tried a couple games with the CPU Pass block and QBA at 0 on All Madden. Played as the Bears against GB in CFM. Rodgers was 23-40. Great percentagewise, maybe even a little low, but all of the incomplete passes were from bad throws with the exception of one pass break up. The Green Bay receivers were open by about 3-5 yards on every play.

My potentially quick solution that I've wanted for since M11 was to allow the user to assign custom playbooks to CPU coaches. I did this in M11 pre patch and it produced some of the best gameplay I've seen in the series. The patch came out and we were no longer able to do it. Remember all that silly hype over sharing playbook nonsense? Assigning game plans?
Old 09-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #70
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
There was a rumor that Cam Newton plays different than other qbs in the game. You may have just proved it
It's not really a "rumor", the Madden devs claimed this would be the case in the game play stream.

Speculating, I wonder if Richardt played differently with various QBs, trying to mimic their playstyle for the QB AI of the other QBs or is it more uniform. Meaning, with Cam actually being the recorded Qb AI for Cam in game, it begs to reason that player would be more unique versus Richardt being the AI behind passing progression for everyone else.

Anyway could be a bug with player traits and the new QB AI system interacting, who knows, hopefully they get it ironed out in a patch and improve on this next year, if possible.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 3

CPU definitely plays different in CFM than in Play Now. I play on All-pro default sliders with only speed threshold at 0, and in Play Now the CPU gives me a run for my money. CPU QBs are laser accurate and play decent. In CFM, I'm finding that I can trounce the CPU every game for some reason. CPU QB play is horrible, they just sit there and take sacks or throw check downs, giving them ridiculously high accuracy stats (like 18/19 or 19/21), they struggle to break 100 yards passing. I had a series where I sacked Bortles 3 straight times with Trent Cole for a 3 and out...bizarre.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #72
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
What settings are you playing on?
I can't remember the guy's name, but it's the guy's slider that Millennium (I believe) was endorsing in the Sliders section. AZURESIMSLIDERS or something?
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »