Home

Same old issues again

This is a discussion on Same old issues again within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Same old issues again

While I completely agree with some of the complaints, its obvious some of it gets us no where.

We need to just keep working ourselves to try to make this game, and each year better, so its enjoyable to us. Now I know people are going to say "I paid $60 dollars, its EA job to do that". While I def agree with that, its 2014. Information is everywhere. We can either just sit here and complain about our wasted $60 or we can put our heads together and figure this thing out.

This is the 26th year of John Madden Football. With the exception of straight up tackling a guy, In those 26 years, I've ever seen Def PI called EVER; that's just part of the game.

Complaining how you feel slighted out of $60 because its the same game, is something you said last year and will say next year. This is nothing new. They take stuff away, add stuff back in ect. Over time the game does change and does get better. Just YouTube Madden history and you'll see.

There are a lot of great post in here that helps this game play more to your liking. Slider sets, changing the speed; and actually one that I stumbled upon that I am amazed at,(some wont like), is turning most of the penalties to 0.

I never thought it would, but actually the penalty sliders effects how the CPU and AI play. Turning them to 0 actually makes them play better. Now I kept offside and false starts in to keep the game honest. But things like PI, clipping, holding, actually seem to make the AI play the game better. I understand that some this is a make or break for them and want it in the game.

But some of the stuff is just hard reality that this is the hand we are dealt. Some of its frustrating, but if we took as much time as we do looking for stuff that doesn't work and complaining as we did to try to correct it, I think we as a community can make this game fun.

In closing....sorry for the rant, or if I offended anyone
Old 09-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #34
Pro

RonMexico1992's Arena

i got rid of the game for 40$ towards fifa. its sad. i've never got rid of madden ever in my life. but i cant take it anymore. Its pathetic how much you have to tinker with the sliders, settings rosters just to get the game to play like it should, and even after you do that, still resembles nothing like NFL football. just a complete utter waste of time.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 4

Glad to see I'm not losing my marbles and others see what me and my friends have been saying since release.

I knew full well going into this year, that Madden 15 was not going to be a true "next gen" game. That's [apparently] next year's release. Madden 15 is the best version...of Madden...built on Xbox360 technology...we've seen. This is not a knock. Just truth.

I'm not all down on Madden and I absolutely respect that the development team is committed to moving the product forward and Madden 15 is better than last year in ways.

But this doesn't hide the truth that the foundation on which Madden 15 is built upon is sorely lacking when compared and contrasted to another true next gen EA Sports AAA brand.

Try playing FIFA 14 on PS:4 or X:1 and then go and try and play Madden 15. Now FIFA 14 is not a perfect game but you can glaringly see the problems with Madden and how antiquated the foundation
(Xbox360 based engine) it is built on.

There has been a seemingly consistant design choice to build this generation (Xbox360 based) of Madden games primarily around the one-off, 5 minute or less, online PvP play now game that's lot's of "fun", everyone's favorite team and player being pretty much equal. Core gameplay that's built on lot's of big plays, lot's of scoring. I'm not trying to say that this is good or bad, just that's the primary build purpose of Madden the game and to make the game appealing to as big a potential customer base as possible, layer various game modes onto that instant, play now, foundation. Build the game on excitement and not so much simulation/reality. Don't worry about this rule or that rule when you can have a big play fumble or big play pick 6 as your game changers instead the reality based but less excitement factor basic game rules like procedure calls or defensive penalties as game changers.

Madden's fun and excitement, even in one off PvP games, doesn't have to be at the expense of simulaiton/reality though and a little more real life like physics actually would amp up the excitement and fun factor. In fact, by going more simulation, you just added a new game mode for fans of the arcade like Madden games we've been treated to for the past nearly 7 years.

Truth is that every NFL team is not equal, nor does every NFL player play equally. These aren't bad truths though that we game players need to be shielded from. A good Madden player can beat a mediocre or bad Madden player, regardless of the team and player ratings disparity. If not, I'll get you next game with more even teams. Eureka...replayability increased!

Scrollbar IMO you did forget two big issues about this generation of Madden games, Madden 15 included. Again, contrasted to that other same next gen EA Sports title...FIFA 14 really examplifies these as borderline game breaking:
  1. There is a game wide plateau for player top speed-agility-acceleration. Me and my gang feel that it's somewhere around the number 88.
  2. Player size is irrelevant to the majority of player match ups.

"What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death"
-Dave Barry
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #36
Banned

For those who gave my thread a 1 star rating I'd sure love to hear what you disagree with or why you disagree with it? Did I post something factually wrong?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #37
Rookie

Qrashman's Arena

I used to get really pissed off and insulted at the lack of penalties in the game. You would think 50 would be normal and 100 would mean a penalty every other play. 100 still doesn't get you near real-life.

BUT man I'm almost 40 years old with 2 kids. I get an hour to 90 minutes a night to play, and penalties would just slow the game down. I'm lucky to get 1 game in per night. So I can live without the penalties

As for the QB accuracy, I'm playing with Geno Smith and even after raising his short and mid acc to around 83ish, he misses a TON of passes. I've seen at least one attempted screen pass PER GAME fly over CJ's head. With plenty of overthrown, under thrown etc. This was my biggest beef with past versions is you had 3 options for a pass: 1) Catch, 2) Dropped or 3) Batted Down. It's not the case anymore and this alone is worth the $60 for me.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 13

Just seems like a bunch of crying and negativity in here.

No game is perfect, but luckily with sliders adjusted, even slightly, Madden plays really, really well.

You'll never get perfection, but there are no gigantic glaring issues people.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrollbar

1- Put some time and effort into play testing.
2- The AI should be more robust, and you likely need to start over.
3- If you aren't willing to, can you find out why the cpu ai will refuse to dump off a screen pass or throw it away, instead of always being sacked?
4- Program in injuries for everyone and more pass interference to be possible
5- Ball physics! This is why passing is too accurate, running isn't fun, and why animation feel so canned. If the ball is always attached to a player like a jersey, it kills creativity and randomness. This is the main reason I think why the game feel so repetitive and boring after a while.
I agree with a lot you said, but just gotta say some stuff based solely on my own experience with M15.

1- Absolutely.
2- Lot better, but inconsistent.
3- CPU screens are killer, I honestly dont know how it's even possible for someone to come here and say the CPU takes sacks (Again, this is just from my experience), the CPU kills me with screens, compared to my own screen fails; it's a joke.
4- Agreed
5- YES!!!! Madden needs to do what FIFA is doing and have the ball be it's own object on the field, and have a truly loose ball feel. Suction and warping is what is used for ball possession in Madden, because suction and warping is used everywhere else. GET RID OF IT!!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMexico1992
i got rid of the game for 40$ towards fifa. its sad. i've never got rid of madden ever in my life. but i cant take it anymore. Its pathetic how much you have to tinker with the sliders, settings rosters just to get the game to play like it should, and even after you do that, still resembles nothing like NFL football. just a complete utter waste of time.

Translation: I am a fan of a certain other game and I refuse to mess with the sliders because it would make the game play better and I would have to be positive about madden which I can't do because because I am overly biased toward that other game so I will just trade madden in rather than play madden objectively just once.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »