Home

Tiny confidence rant

This is a discussion on Tiny confidence rant within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
Esports Manager @ Twitch

CloudFuel's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Tiny confidence rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
IMO stats really need to be something that are a bonus but not necessary if you win the game. If you lose and throw a bunch of picks then yea confidence should go down. In the situation you described it doesn't make sense for it to go down.

How badly I want the opportunity to sit down and tweak all the CFM stuff.
Hear hear! I absolutely second this!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
Pro

Continuing my exploration of the confidence feature, QB Devonte Dansby has now led the Eagles to a 9-5 record in his second year, following a 0-3 start on the heels of a 1-15 campaign last year that left him at zero confidence to start the season. They currently share the division lead with the Redskins.

I have never done any confidence related game preparation. I don't have his stats in front of me right now, but he continues to be more of a game manager than anything else. I think he is somewhere around 3000 yards, 15 touchdowns, and 13 interceptions.

Given these average stats, combined with the lack of game prep, but factoring in the division lead, and going 9-2 in their last 11, you would think he would at least have moderate confidence. Nope. His confidence is a whopping 16.

So, I still think there is a lot of room to tweak the confidence algorithm. I'm not saying he should be a 95 or anything like that. But the system should probably take more into account about the overall team performance. I mean, if you are on a winning team, or even a losing team that is performing above expectations, I would think that most of your players should have at least average confidence, unless they're doing truly awful things. While Dansby certainly doesn't have them dusting off a spot in the Hall of Fame yet, he is winning.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbattisti
Continuing my exploration of the confidence feature, QB Devonte Dansby has now led the Eagles to a 9-5 record in his second year, following a 0-3 start on the heels of a 1-15 campaign last year that left him at zero confidence to start the season. They currently share the division lead with the Redskins.

I have never done any confidence related game preparation. I don't have his stats in front of me right now, but he continues to be more of a game manager than anything else. I think he is somewhere around 3000 yards, 15 touchdowns, and 13 interceptions.

Given these average stats, combined with the lack of game prep, but factoring in the division lead, and going 9-2 in their last 11, you would think he would at least have moderate confidence. Nope. His confidence is a whopping 16.

So, I still think there is a lot of room to tweak the confidence algorithm. I'm not saying he should be a 95 or anything like that. But the system should probably take more into account about the overall team performance. I mean, if you are on a winning team, or even a losing team that is performing above expectations, I would think that most of your players should have at least average confidence, unless they're doing truly awful things. While Dansby certainly doesn't have them dusting off a spot in the Hall of Fame yet, he is winning.
I am going to slightly disagree with this. If he started at 0 and is now at 16 that is a pretty good improvement. If he was at 50 confidence he would be at 66 right now. So looking only at his season, it has been good enough to result in a +16 to confidence. That seems fair to me

This raises another question: How much should confidence carry over year to year?

Now for the tough part. OP it is on you for not managing the kids confidence.No excuse for your starting QB to start the year with 0 confidence. tsk tsk
(I know if you don't do it the AI does it for you. You still get a tsk tsk for that though)

Now to semi hijack the thread because this is related but I don't know if it deserves its own thread.
Year 1 with the Ravens. We finished 12-4 and Joe was the frontrunner for MVP in week 14 before going down with an injury. He was only sacked ~25 times. Those are great numbers especially considering how often I had him drop back. The bad part: The run game was just as bad as it was last season in real life. So can't run block for crap, pass protection excellent.

The dilemma: Entering year 2 all my lineman have 90+ confidence. They all get boosts to ratings, run block included. Because of this, run game is pretty damn good.

Thoughts? I am undecided. I see both sides of this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #12
Pro

It's an interesting topic, that's for sure! I agree it's my bad for not working on his confidence. The thing is, I have an all rookie team, so I focus on development at every opportunity.

Is confidence really that slow to change, though? It seems like if you have turned a 1-15 team into a playoff contender, your confidence would at least be average (if not sky high).

Another interesting point you make - every year is like a reset button in the NFL; I think confidence carries over in madden.

It is an interesting algorithm! I realize they have to be careful not to let it overpower the game.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

How does the rest of your team look? I imagine your WRs aren't doing so well (lots of I should have contributed more I bet) but your line, RBs, and defense should be pretty decent right?
Old 09-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 1

That's wierd...I think it is too easy to get confidence. I'm not sure what the scale is for Confidence but I am at 96% and should not be. I'm 2-4 and have like 5 TDs and 15 INTs - I decided to stop applying Confidence to my player to see what happens because to me with those stats he should be benched...wish that would happen.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
IMO stats really need to be something that are a bonus but not necessary if you win the game. If you lose and throw a bunch of picks then yea confidence should go down. In the situation you described it doesn't make sense for it to go down.

How badly I want the opportunity to sit down and tweak all the CFM stuff.
I have a question you NDAlum and anybody else who might have an answer. I would rather not speculate so if we could keep this to confirmed answers please.

Does anyone know if confidence affects on field play? Or is it just the inverse, the one I know was advertised, where on field play affects confidence.

So what I do know is that on field play affects confidence and confidence affects an adjusted player overall rating. What I'm wondering, does confidence actually affect anything in the game? Does it affect how a player AI performs? Does it affect a players gameplay attributes/ratings? If it does not, then I don't understand what confidence actually does for the game.

If confidence does affect gameplay attributes/ratings and not just an adjusted overall, and if that will affect a players salary requirements when trying to resign them, then confidence makes sense to me.

EDIT: And I too would like to sit down and redo much of CFM.

Last edited by bucky60; 09-11-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I have a question you NDAlum and anybody else who might have an answer. I would rather not speculate so if we could keep this to confirmed answers please.

Does anyone know if confidence affects on field play? Or is it just the inverse, the one I know was advertised, where on field play affects confidence.

So what I do know is that on field play affects confidence and confidence affects an adjusted player overall rating. What I'm wondering, does confidence actually affect anything in the game? Does it affect how a player AI performs? Does it affect a players gameplay attributes/ratings? If it does not, then I don't understand what confidence actually does for the game.

If confidence does affect gameplay attributes/ratings and not just an adjusted overall, and if that will affect a players salary requirements when trying to resign them, then confidence makes sense to me.
Confidence directly affects player attributes, which in turn moves the Confidence-Adjusted Overall Rating (COVR). It's shown in the depth chart represented by green or red arrows.

These two shots are from week 2 of my OS Vets Online CFM. One is the depth chart screen and the other is from rosters. The roster screen is his true rating, while the depth chart shows the rating changes due to confidence (currently 72). His normal overall is 79, and his current confidence-adjusted overall is 81.

Confidence carries over between seasons, as do the rating changes from it. But the rating changes from it don't become permanent. I couldn't say whether or not that affects re-sign salaries, though I think it would be unlikely.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by bcruise; 09-11-2014 at 03:41 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »