Home

What are your improvements for future Madden titles

This is a discussion on What are your improvements for future Madden titles within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #33
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: What are your improvements for future Madden titles

Just one thing....re-do the player rating system. Strike a deal with the FBG guys and build the default rosters (and generated rookies) based on their system.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Just one thing....re-do the player rating system. Strike a deal with the FBG guys and build the default rosters (and generated rookies) based on their system.

If they would just fired Donny Moore, that would be a start.

The fact that he still has a job proves to me that EA doesnt really care about getting it right, because his ratings are always a complete joke.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #35
Pro

OVR: 4

I'm having fun with this year's game despite it's flaws, but I can understand the frustration with the series, and with that, here is my list.

- Robo qbs are really a problem. The only difference I've seen is if the qb is fast enough to scramble or not. Instead of generic presets, I think player tendencies like in the 2K basketball games would solve this problem.

- While the ai passes/runs if I can't stop it(good), it doesn't adapt to what I'm doing. I can run the same toss play and they'll still have their defense shifted on the opposite side.

- Presentation as with previous EA football games just isn't enough. Everything looks nice at first, then you realize that you've seen the same generic qb entrance, with the one same line about him every game.

Sidelines are generic, the players don't react to what's going on and they magically lose their last names once they're on the sideline. Nitpicky, but with this being a next gen game and an advertised feature, I expected a lot more. The refs should be on the field at this point.

- The challenge system is wonky. It challenges plays without my input, and the plays I do challenge(which are obvious) are never overturned.

- Ability to edit players, this was in NCAA 14. Right now, I have a beast LB, but he's 6'3, 218 lbs. And why can't I convert my LB to a DE when I could in the older games?

- Injuries have been a problem for a while, the only players I see get injured are: qb, rb, wr, te. Everyone else won't get injured unless you're simming. And my rb is favoring his back, the screen fades to commercial(don't like this) and now he's riding on an exercise bike?

- Ability to edit draft classes.

- Formation subs

- Different commentary teams.

- Export team, one thing I like to do in the nba 2K games is have my different association teams face off against each other.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #36
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Depth Chart/Player Roles - Like CM said - Madden needs a new depth chart system. X, Z, Slot receiver, TE, Hback, and so on. Plus the ability to set who participates on special teams - nothing worse than being stuck using, and losing to injury, a player on special teams that you would "protect/save" by not utilizing him there because he is injury prone... You should be able to set your depth chart for all special teams - punt, KO, onside and the return/block opposites - and you should not be pigeon holed by any restraints as far as position - IE if I want to use WRs/Safeties/LBs as gunners on punts - awesome, and you should also have "formation audible" within special teams - IE you come out in max cover punt you should be able to audible to max protect...

Another thing is the injury prompt - rather than just the option to keep player in game or sub a guy in, give us multiple guys to choose from or keep the guy in the game.

I believe the CPU management would greatly benefit from the removal of the L/R designation in player positions - ie - LT/RT, LG/RG, RDE/LDE, LOLB/ROLB - would be better for the CPU to just have T/G/DE,OLB - as in my current franchise a certain team keeps trying to trade their 2nd best OLB because he is slightly behind the #1 OLB in rating on the same side - but their next best OLB is a full 10 points lower OVR - and no it is not a "scheme issue".

Player roles need to make a comeback - but not in the "onscreen" way they used to be - No road grader/brick wall garbage - but returner, go to guy, starter/backup, swing T, slot receiver, scat back, etc.

Player roles - need especially to impact CPU roster management and confidence for both CPU and user teams - IE a feature back that gets shut down, held below a certain number of yrds/attempt should suffer a confidence setback - WR/TE players who have low "targeted" numbers should also have a negative confidence issue - leave them out too often and you risk them not wanting to resign with your team... QB of the future should really impact CPU team draft/FA moves and so on.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:42 AM   #37
Pro

OVR: 7

Custom Draft Classes

Playable combine with Senior Bowl.

Practice Squads
Old 09-13-2014, 01:41 AM   #38
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Defensive Issues -

Bump TEs - This issue makes me wonder if any single person at EA even watches the NFL - TEs do not get free releases just because they are TEs - Heck, a couple years ago I watched KC put 2 defenders on NE's TE and beat the daylights out of him like he was a punt gunner - I should not have to manually bump TEs

Zone Bump n Run - Again EA, really? The Tampa 2 defense relies heavily on route disruption, yet in Madden zone defenders never press, chuck, or even attempt to impede receivers at all - fix it

Tight vs Bump coverage/non press chuck receiver - The first part was in last year, with Bump then disguise cover audible - not every time DBs are playing tight at the line are they bumping receivers - this is by design to throw off offenses. And by the same token there should be a way to chuck receivers within the rules (within 5 yards of LOS) without playing the press - again I have seen this done by multiple teams IRL - Tight cover technique should be separate from bump n run - designed to look the same, but with different functionality and cover audible inputs.

Best on Best - defensive assignments, WR shadow, whatever you want to call it - bring it back and improve on what it once was in Madden like on PS2 - ridiculous that we still don't have this in 2014.

2 gap, 1 gap - give us some indicator in the play call screen as to the assignment type - different color or something so that we can determine what the DL/LBs are assigned to be doing - by the way not every 3-4 scheme is a 2 gap defense and not every play call within any defense is one or the other so give the user some way of distinguishing DL assignments.

Tiered play calls - this has been brought up a thousand times and is long overdue - line stunts, DL/LB "games" - really need this to add some variety and strategy back into play calls on the defensive side of the ball.

Double Coverage Plays - Get these back in the game, CPU teams should be double covering my WR (and maybe even sliding zones his way) long before I get to 10 catches and 3 TDs - Again, IRL teams double cover players and dang it, this should be in the game. I know it did not function as it should have in years long gone by, but figure it out and get this in...

Delayed Blitzes - Another in the long line of features still missing from the PS2 era, nuff said.

Show Blitz vs 8 in the Box - There needs to be a way to show blitz without bring the safety down into the box - this needs to be two separate functions - and for the love of defense - fix the dumb formations where the DL spread/pinch/left right are screwed up/locked out by bringing the safety down (particularly the Nickel)!!!
At this point we should have some way of mixing and matching our actual play call with bluff calls, beyond just the "sugar blitz" which is seeming the only bluff play call you really have - I know you can do this through audibles, but something more refined should be available at this stage of Madden's development.

Pre-Snap Adjustment Save - Think HC game. You should be able (within practice mode) to save pre-snap adjustments...
...example Tampa 2 play call I want the DBs to force a inside release, the 2 CBs to bump n run (bump n read really) and to protect deep or play over the top - I go into practice mode call this play - make my adjustments - and then in practice mode only I would be prompted to "save" adjustments for "every time I call this play", "this play call vs this offensive formation" or "situational" - in which case we would get a selection menu for 1st and 10, 2nd and Long (basically the offensive situation to match).
This would allow you to manipulate play calls for various situations without the tedious adjustment system getting in the way...
Old 09-13-2014, 02:32 AM   #39
MVP

Lisac's Arena

They took these 2 things out 2 yrs ago and I don't know why but-

1 button 32 team control!!!!

I don't want to waste up to an hour to take control of all 32 teams!

And depth charts lock.
If I'm using my 53 man roster and set my depth charts I want them to stick if I'm simming the pre season and not have to reset them a 2nd time.

Last edited by Lisac; 09-13-2014 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:13 AM   #40
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Scouting/Draft Board/UDFA -

Scouting - give me the darn measurables!!! No NFL team goes into a draft without knowing the combine/pro day test numbers of every player in which those numbers are available. Make the scouting process for positional and intangible ratings much more in depth and ambiguous - IE only letter grades and scouting report snippets.
Example - LOLB J. Jones you have the numbers (4.68 in the forty, 16 bench reps, 31 inch vertical, broad jump, cone drill - you get it...) but then to get an idea of his tackle ability you scout and get a snippet saying - Jones breaks down well and has good arm wrap to drag ball carriers to the ground - you think ok worth continuing so scout it again and get a dark color letter, B- and another scouting snippet, then you scout again and get another lighter color, B- (so know you can be fairly confident you are getting a low 80 tackle rated guy) but you would never get an actual number and your scout department should have various accuracy ratings for various positions...

By making the intangible and position specific ratings more ambiguous, while giving you the "raw" workout data - you would then have something more like what NFL teams actually deal with in the draft process. Scout staff cost/rating would vary the scout points required by position, rather than having a double scouting points upgrade - ie - A scout department with a high QB rating would give you discounted scouting of QBs, but maybe they have a low RB rating meaning scouting FBs and HBs would cost you more points and be less accurate.

"My Draft Board" - Something like the recruiting board from NCAA games where you can move guys up and down on your board, or even remove them completely (sort of red flagging him as in he is not a player you are interested in) - You could then set your team to draft by your board or by best available player (in cases where you miss an OLCFM draft due to scheduling conflicts or what not). This could also be used in multiplayer CFMs to establish draft stock movement in the news feed. For the purpose of solo off/online CFMs the CPU should get zero indication of your draft movers and shakers.

UDRFA - There needs to be another FA period post draft for filling your roster which includes undrafted rookies so that the CPU and User teams must outbid each other for their services - this should also include veteran players who remain unsigned and should work much in the same way as the other FA period only it should be a one shot deal - you make offers to all the players you are interested in and then FA "weighs his chances" and signs based on depth/scheme/money etc...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »