Home

A serious debate about Madden

This is a discussion on A serious debate about Madden within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2014, 03:48 AM   #25
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: A serious debate about Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMO
Remember the days of old when games release dates were not set in stone. The release date would approach and it would get pushed off a week or 2 because there were bugs. Now they just release it and say "yea there's issues, we are working on a patch". Basically saying here's a broken game but we will eventually fix it since we have your money now lol.

Sorry I love Madden and all but I was 1 of those rare people who didn't have a problem when a games release date was pushed off. Now a days most sports games announce the delivery date 6 months in advance and stick to it no matter what.

I remember the days when if something was broken there was no such thing as a patch, you waited till the next year and hoped it got fixed. There was also no internet forums back then where you could go and read about other's users experiences with the game. You had to buy a magazine and read reviews and hope your local video store would have enough (or any) copies of the game so you could rent it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2014, 04:05 AM   #26
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish ram
The problem can't be money, not for a firm like EA period. What i dont undestand is what about personale pride, how can they, year after year put out bug ridden games, listen to so much Bull.... On these forums, and still not change the Way they go about there business. That is beyond me
To be honest no matter what they do people will complain, they will never make a game that pleases everyone. The game they released this year is a step in the right direction and if I was them it's a game I would be proud of. It still has some bugs to iron out but they are working hard to fix them, and have already fixed many of them server side for Online leagues.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:03 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
To be honest no matter what they do people will complain, they will never make a game that pleases everyone. The game they released this year is a step in the right direction and if I was them it's a game I would be proud of. It still has some bugs to iron out but they are working hard to fix them, and have already fixed many of them server side for Online leagues.
You know why i rant like this, Well it is because madden is part of groundhogday, we hear the same sh.. Every year: its a step In the right direction, they have laid the Foundation for what could be a great game.
And yes you can make games that pleases almost everyone, it just takes the right amount of time,effort and people to do it. Thats why the new ignite Engine is such a massive diapointment. They had the time, they had money, to make a sports Engine that could Blow the hell out of the competitors. A Engine with RTP that works, an engine that looks great, an Engine that could handle penalties etc etc etc.
When will that truly great copy of madden see the light of day?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 29

Yea "you can't please everyone" is a pretty weak argument when there's other games out there that manage to accomplish this or at least come way closer than Madden does NCAA 14, Show, and FIFA series come to mind.

I think you have a great idea hbd, sign me up as a CFM tester!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #29
Pro

spidertour02's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish ram
The problem can't be money, not for a firm like EA period. What i dont undestand is what about personale pride, how can they, year after year put out bug ridden games, listen to so much Bull.... On these forums, and still not change the Way they go about there business. That is beyond me
You don't understand much about business, do you? Companies just don't like to spend money, even if they have a ton of it, because it eats into their profit line. A publicly-traded company like EA is especially likely to do this.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #30
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Based on the in-game credits, Madden NFL 15's total QA staff for PS4 / XBOX One is well over 100 people, closer to 200 and possibly even 300. I admittedly lost count. The point being that there are plenty of eyes on this game before it gets into the public's hands.

None of the above. It's because things like fixing a specific glitch with equipment get pushed so far down the priority queue that they don't get touched year-over-year. Other bugs which we the consumers never hear about and never see - because they get squashed during the QA process - take priority, and rightfully so because the things that get priority are bugs which outright cause the game to crash, corrupt a game save, or cause a competitive exploit for a server-dependent game such as online ranked matches, Connected Franchise, or Ultimate Team.
Your post just proves my point, and says what I said in a different way....

Ok, so they have 100-300 QA people. Great.... they need more or they need to listen to them.

You also say their QA process might quash bugs we never see? Great... they should also quash the legacy issues as well and the bugs we do see.

Why don't they?

Who knows... but it's most likely what we both said, these issues are "low on the totem pole" which really means the resources they dedicate to Madden does not make a totem pole high enough. (as it were) So whether you call it "resources" or a "low totem pole" it's the same thing.

I maintain my point. They do not put enough into QA and bug testing, or they don't know how to implement what is recommended in QA, or their bosses tell them not to.

Madden has been what it is for 10 years and the ENTIRE last gen. And with the current landscape I don't see it changing.

I wish I was wrong, but I fully expect next year to have minor improvements and updated rosters plus a whole bunch of glitches and legacy issues like it always does.

If I'm wrong next year I will eat my hat.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 2

The money and resources excuse I'm not buying. The could easily have a beta just for the season ticket/early access program people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #32
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkpkp
You also say their QA process might quash bugs we never see? Great... they should also quash the legacy issues as well and the bugs we do see.

Why don't they?
Limited resources. More specifically, time.

Madden releases every year at the end of August, and their "gold master" date is (probably) in late July. That's not changing, and barring absolute catastrophe the development team may not even have to power to make that change. As such, any bugs QA finds must be prioritized. This is a pretty basic project management task - limited time means one must prioritize tasks.

It's not as simple as adding more people to a project to fix these bugs, either. Any new engineers have to be spun up on the code base, internal project tools, any work standards of the development team, etc. by someone who already is in the know. This also takes time, and it pulls away an already-spun-up member of the staff from the project and puts him in a teaching capacity, limiting his effectiveness in his original role until everyone is up to speed.

Take it from someone who's made a few video games in a professional setting with aggressive project timelines and understands a little bit about how the process works.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »