Home

Re-Sign Logic flawed?

This is a discussion on Re-Sign Logic flawed? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2014, 02:55 AM   #1
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Re-Sign Logic flawed?

I offer them more than what they are asking for during the re-sign period (so its not like I'm being outbid), and they came back the next week wanting more. I offer them even more and they end negotiations immediately.

This is the 2nd time this has happened, and it is in an online CFM so there is no getting around the flawed logic at play here, I can't re-sign them until free agency starts. And I don't feel like getting into a bidding war over a 32 year old TE, even if he has been consistent for me.

I could get spurning an offer above the asking price if I had tried to lowball him on the first offer but both offers were above what he was asking for (same case with the previous case). I've also experienced this in offline CFMs.

Is there a chance this was fixed in the latest online update (we started playing before they made those changes), because there is no way I'll be starting another online CFM until the issue is addressed (I'll stick to offline and being able to load a previous save to avoid stuff like this).

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same reason why teams are failing to sign franchise QBs (Wilson in Seattle, and Luck in Indy), in quite a few CFMs.
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
RIP Atlanta Thrashers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Re-Sign Logic flawed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
I offer them more than what they are asking for during the re-sign period (so its not like I'm being outbid), and they came back the next week wanting more. I offer them even more and they end negotiations immediately.

This is the 2nd time this has happened, and it is in an online CFM so there is no getting around the flawed logic at play here, I can't re-sign them until free agency starts. And I don't feel like getting into a bidding war over a 32 year old TE, even if he has been consistent for me.

I could get spurning an offer above the asking price if I had tried to lowball him on the first offer but both offers were above what he was asking for (same case with the previous case). I've also experienced this in offline CFMs.

Is there a chance this was fixed in the latest online update (we started playing before they made those changes), because there is no way I'll be starting another online CFM until the issue is addressed (I'll stick to offline and being able to load a previous save to avoid stuff like this).

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same reason why teams are failing to sign franchise QBs (Wilson in Seattle, and Luck in Indy), in quite a few CFMs.

Need more info for your specific situation before we can say it is flawed. What team are you using? What was your record? Who are the players? Who are their backups? Who did they end up signing with, and what was their record last year? Do they fit your scheme? It's about more than just the money you offer.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:54 AM   #3
MVP

Darkleaf's Arena

OVR: 19

Yes it is flawed, predictable trait seems completely pointless as well.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
Need more info for your specific situation before we can say it is flawed. What team are you using? What was your record? Who are the players? Who are their backups? Who did they end up signing with, and what was their record last year? Do they fit your scheme? It's about more than just the money you offer.
We won the super bowl last year, he was a major target in my offense and figured to be this year. He is a 31 year old (will be 32 when he enters free agency), he doesn't fit my scheme in words but certainly in role (I run West Coast, he is a Balanced Offense, Receiving TE).

The reason why I am saying it is flawed is because I am in the re-sign phase, during the season (he ended negotiations after my 2nd offer which was tenured before I played the 2nd game of the season). If this were the free agency period then I can understand the need to take into account all those other factors, but as it is had a somewhat legitimate asking price (he's old so giving him the money he wanted is risky but not absurd), if he truly wanted more he should have asked for more (or changed his asking price when my offer (which was more than what he was asking for) was too low for him the first time), if he really had no intention on re-signing with me then his asking price should have been absurd and he shouldn't have been "interested" in being re-signed in week 1 of the new season.
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
RIP Atlanta Thrashers
Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 AM   #5
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman87GT
We won the super bowl last year, he was a major target in my offense and figured to be this year. He is a 31 year old (will be 32 when he enters free agency), he doesn't fit my scheme in words but certainly in role (I run West Coast, he is a Balanced Offense, Receiving TE).

The reason why I am saying it is flawed is because I am in the re-sign phase, during the season (he ended negotiations after my 2nd offer which was tenured before I played the 2nd game of the season). If this were the free agency period then I can understand the need to take into account all those other factors, but as it is had a somewhat legitimate asking price (he's old so giving him the money he wanted is risky but not absurd), if he truly wanted more he should have asked for more (or changed his asking price when my offer (which was more than what he was asking for) was too low for him the first time), if he really had no intention on re-signing with me then his asking price should have been absurd and he shouldn't have been "interested" in being re-signed in week 1 of the new season.
This same thing has happened to me multiple times. And right now, in my Jets CFM, I have a rookie QB who is starting, Case Keenum as the backup and Chase Daniel as the 3rd string QB.

Daniel is in the final year of his deal, so I went to offer him a new deal - it's during the season, mind you - he wanted something like a 2-year deal for a total of $2.4 million... which is a LOT for a 3rd string QB. But, being from Missouri and having followed him at Mizzou, I like the guy, so I offered him a 3-year deal for a total of $3.8 million... since $2.4 came out to $1.2 a year, $3.8 is more per year and a longer deal for him.

He refused it. Said the offer was too low and if I don't raise it, he will explore free agency. And since this has happened to me so many times, I won't make him another offer. He's going to test free agency??? Fine. See if anybody else offers you a 3-year, $3.8 million dollar deal...

GRRRR!!! Some of the absolute nonsense in this game...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I do agree that re-signing players is flawed. As a Seahawks fan, I typically run most of my CFM games as the Seahawks, and I have difficulty re-signing players to large contracts. One thing that annoys me is that it's hard to re-sign Russell Wilson, because he always asks for $20M+ a year and when I do, he rejects it. Same thing with Cliff Avril. I value defensive players highly, and I try to offer them more money typically than offensive players, and yet they still won't re-sign with me.

Granted, I do re-sign most of the players I offer, it's just the large contracts I can't sign that really piss me off. At least I can go to the draft and look for the positions I need. It's been a problem ever since the first CFM iteration.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Rookie

Sheep Ballz's Arena

OVR: 0

I've discovered that if you change the number of years on their preferred contract, then they're gonna want a higher per-year average and likely a higher bonus as well.

I usually just give them the number of years they want, but up their preferred yearly salary a bit and they re-sign usually with no issues.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
PMO
Banned

PMO's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Ballz
I've discovered that if you change the number of years on their preferred contract, then they're gonna want a higher per-year average and likely a higher bonus as well.

I usually just give them the number of years they want, but up their preferred yearly salary a bit and they re-sign usually with no issues.
I am Carolina........ Cam wanted 6/$131...... I offered 6/$135 with a lot more bonus then he originally wanted and he accepted right away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »