Home

How to use a Big WR

This is a discussion on How to use a Big WR within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
How to use a Big WR

I have a lot of success using quick & speedy WRs (e.g. Mike Wallace, Cordarelle Patterson), partly because I know exactly how to use them.

Now I've signed a 6'5'' WR who has 99 in release, spectacular catch and jumping. I think if used correctly he can be a beast and should be able to make plays by simply outjumping any defender.

How do I use that big WR best to make use of his strengths? Which routes are suited best for him? Do I have to lob passes? Any help is appreciated.

Note: I'm not good at user catching so I usually let the CPU catch it and I take over after the catch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: How to use a Big WR

I wish I could tell you. I use the Bears and I can't for the life of me get Brandon Marshall or Alshon Jeffrey to win a jump ball, and they don't use their size to box out defenders either
Old 09-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Banned

jsizzle727's Arena

You need to hold L2 to square your WR up to the ball and then jump, it takes some practice, but then it's easy
Old 09-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1

What is everyone talking about with these big WRs? I drafted 2 6'6 235+ receivers (a 77 and 75) and it's almost unfair in my CFM. If I ever see single coverage, I immediately audible to to any non-quick pass (protection is better) and throw it when they are about even. I catch the jump ball about 65% and the DB makes a good play for an incompletion about 35%--I rarely throw an INT. Also, I never do this vs top-flight CBs--just beat the Cardinals 28-21 without throwing the ball near Peterson, who didn't even register a tackle. I have had so many long plays from this that I'm almost thinking of getting rid of Tavon if I can find another (have these two from the first draft and Britt/Tavon already there) in the next draft.

I haven't had trouble throwing deep in this game at all. You just have to A) have the right sliders (I play All-Pro with CPU PCV/Reaction at 87/2 and still have 5 INT through 3 games) and B) know how to spot Cover 1 or Cover 0. I even have a couple 40+ yard passes from moving DAT to the outside vs an LB (Gun Flex Pats has a Flanker inside and you can shift the HB to the hashes). I also use this formation with my good RTE HB on 3rd downs, but that's beside the point.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1

You just have to wait for the right coverage and not expect Megatron-like double/triple coverage catches
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

I can tell you what works for me and my 6'6 WR with 97 jumping. The routes that showcase their physical ability and jumping are fade routes to the back of the enzone, or high arching passes. Now it doesn't guarantee a catch every time, but they do make the effort to go up over the smaller guy. Corner routes work this way as well. Lob passes are key for this also.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Pro

Davon_A_Brown's Arena

How to use a Big WR

I'm still having trouble throwing the jump ball to Calvin Johnson outside of the 10 yard line, but there is a thread here with a tip on how to trigger the SPC pretty consistently.

Th3 Chos3n On3
Old 09-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10

If you want to play real football: match them up with smaller corners and use height to win jump balls.
If you want to cheese your way to a win: Dig routes all day, throw some slants in too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »