Home

The Confidence Mechanic

This is a discussion on The Confidence Mechanic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: The Confidence Mechanic

Good post and I'll briefly touch on how I feel about your examples..

I agree they should be CLOSER to each other BUT to me you should lose more points for a bad game than gain for a good game.

Why? If you keep turning the ball over or making bad decisions, you will be more nervous and afraid to pass. If you are doing good, you should gain but I wouldn't see the quarterback being fearless with the ball as opposed to being scared after making mistakes.

In your example, maybe lose -10-15 and gain +8 or so.

I think that would be a happy medium.

It would be hard to get on a role BUT two, three bad games in a row should make you lose ratings until you improve.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think there's a lot of good points made here, but one thing that bugs me about it is how when the offseason ends and you start a new league year, there's no adjustment made to confidence. Why would a DB still be upset about not having a pick in week 17 9 months later when you're starting the pre-season?

I've also seen a few cases where a player who was on my roster at the end of the year gets the "Doesn't Know the Playbook" penalty in the preseason, which is either a)bad programming or b)the game being secretly clever and telling me which players aren't focusing during the offseason.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
Rookie

cooper417's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by smace767
Confidence is far from perfect and could use tweaking.

2) 31-79 is normal. A drop is only an issue if it gets below that 30 threshold.

It is not that difficult to get your starters to stay above that line. What some people have to do is do what you hear on Sunday, that OC do to get a QB or player more comfortable and confident. Call his number with simple passes or runs to get him going. Hit the underneath guy. Call screens or HB flares. Dont force the issue with a guy with a confidence problem unless you have to. The idea is to manage confidence during the season an upgrade XP in spots, but primarily during the offseason. I dont have an issue with that.

I wish the normal range was 31-79, then I'd have less an issue with it.
The fact is though, you start seeing a drop at 39. Not kidding, It is very simple to drop below 40 from 50. Then it becomes very hard to ever add anything without using all your game prep on that player.

Like stated above a 3 int game for a QB can be -19. What for a good game? +3?

They need to tone down the drops in confidence, especially the "I should have contributed more!"

It's way too easy to get a decrease but really hard to get them back to normal which is actually starting at 40.

EA told us the normal was 31-79, but that isn't accurate to decreases I see in my CFMs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannibalcorpse
I think there's a lot of good points made here, but one thing that bugs me about it is how when the offseason ends and you start a new league year, there's no adjustment made to confidence. Why would a DB still be upset about not having a pick in week 17 9 months later when you're starting the pre-season?
I may be mistaken, but I'm reasonably sure that Game Prep is still available in the offseason. Presumably EA left it up to the user to recover the confidence of his ego-bruised players from the previous season rather than making any grand assumptions, whether it be a flat confidence recovery, regression to the mean, or whatever.

Whether this is what people on this forum want is one thing, but it is at minimum this is consistent with the rest of the design of CFM in that roster management and player progression decisions are all left up to the user and nothing is assumed.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

Now here is i feel offseason should've been handled..

All players reset to 50 as the new season,new team or not, they start over. Don't look back.

This also allows the time to focus on building for new season as real life is meant for. Players are getting ready and getting better for the new season.

This would allow us to focus time in the offseason for our backups.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewillbechud
I haven't had much of an issue with the confidence system. People are saying that if you make a big play to directly affect the outcome of the game you shouldn't lose any confidence. Well look at Morris Claiborne, he made two big plays in the Cowboys game (sack and INT at the end) to seal the deal, and subsequently lost his job.

It makes sense to have poor performance games have a more detrimental effect than good games give you a boost. A bad 3 INT game for a QB should be an anomaly. If he has multiple of those kinds of games, most players in the league won't be starting for long. Most guys go on about their jobs and daily business and don't get recognized much. They should have good games, that's why they're starting and someone else isn't. But a receiver who usually has 8 catches a game suddenly catches 1, you can bet that's going to be noticed and he'll have to answer questions about it.

The confidence system like everything else isn't perfect, but I think it does a decent job of reflecting what goes on in the league.

My bad game with Luck was -19 and his good game was +4. Reggie Wayne caught two TD's for me and it said he should e contributed more. I think his line was 4-38-2

I like the concept but am disappointed with implementation.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 09-24-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

When people say consistency makes confidence more managable what do they mean? How are they connected? What does consistency rating even do?

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #16
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

I also think it's terrible that it carries over season to season. I understand justifications for other aspects if the system but I don't see how this is fair at all. Maybe not a full reset, but if a guy was at zero maybe start over at 25 and a good pre-season can get you back to 50.

I feel how game prep and xp is handled is great this year as far as xp. Confidence needs tweaking and rebalancing badly

If my DB seals the game with a deflection that was really a dropped int, but it was fourth down so game over anyway, that should not hurt his confidence

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

Last edited by The JareBear; 09-26-2014 at 10:35 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »