Home

The Confidence Mechanic

This is a discussion on The Confidence Mechanic within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The Confidence Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
The entire point of the thread is to just say it needs some adjustment.

Here are Luck's last 3 games and the confidence he was awarded:

W 31-14 vs TEN | 19/24 - 231 yds - 4 TD - 0 INT | +4 confidence (+3 win at home, +1 3 TD passes)
W 24-13 vs BAL | 12/29 - 155 yds - 2 TD - 2 INT | -7 confidence (can't recall specifics)
W 27-10 vs HOU | 19/28 - 224 yds - 1 TD - 2 INT | +3 confidence (-3 two picks, +4 road win, +1 good redzone, +1 winning streak)

So I'm 3-0 with Luck and 50/81 passing (62%) with 7 TD to 4 INT. Net confidence change of ZERO

I'm 5-1 on the season and currently at 57 confidence with Luck. He has 9 TD to 11 INT on the season so it's not great but I poured at least 30 hours of game prep into him so that's 21 confidence points. He'd be down at 36 confidence with a 5-1 record right now.

QB's, WR's, TE's need some tweaking. Other positions seem ok to me for the most part. Possibly DB's need some tweaking as well.

They need to be more team oriented as opposed to personal IMO
You are on pace to throw 29 interceptions with him. No that is not great.
He should be having confidence issues in my opinion.

Teams should not hope to be 5-1 when the starting QB is averaging nearly 2 picks a game but this is one of the areas where the Maddenverse differs from real life.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #58
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
The Confidence Mechanic

The confidence mechanic is week by week so your point is irrelevant. Your opinion is just that: an opinion.

You also fail to mention the three game stretch I posted or try to address the two TD game by a WR that was not enough of a contribution to the team.

I would love for madden to be much more like real life. Pretty sure I wouldn't throw nearly as many picks if the WR DB interaction was somewhat close to real life. It's an area that is garbage and needs to be severely enhanced moving forward but that's another topic.

Almost every member in the league throws more INTs than TDs. It's an area of Madden that is poorly balanced.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

Last edited by NDAlum; 09-28-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #59
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
The confidence mechanic is week by week so your point is irrelevant. Your opinion is just that: an opinion.

You also fail to mention the three game stretch I posted or try to address the two TD game by a WR that was not enough of a contribution to the team.

I would love for madden to be much more like real life. Pretty sure I wouldn't throw nearly as many picks if the WR DB interaction was somewhat close to real life. It's an area that is garbage and needs to be severely enhanced moving forward but that's another topic.

Almost every member in the league throws more INTs than TDs. It's an area of Madden that is poorly balanced.
The point is not irrelevant. If you are on pace to throw 29 interceptions than it stands to reason that on a week to week basis you are throwing quite a few picks. lol, no way way is my point irrelevant.

Thanks for reminding me what an opinion is. Had you not done that I might have confused myself for thinking I was speaking in facts. Wait no, I even acknowledged it was my opinion in my post.

I did not mention the 3 game stretch because I saw no reason to. Honestly I did not see a problem with it. I'd like to see specifics on the middle game because the -7 does strike me as odd, but a net change of zero over that stretch is reasonable to me.

I did not address the 2 TD by the WR because I do not know what you are talking about. No mention of that was in the quote I posted.

I agree with the last part. The interactions do need to improve. There should be more pass breakups instead of int attempts. The game does a poor job of mimicking the contact of WR/CB battles. But I would not call it garbage. That is a good deal of hyperbole.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #60
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
The point is not irrelevant. If you are on pace to throw 29 interceptions than it stands to reason that on a week to week basis you are throwing quite a few picks. lol, no way way is my point irrelevant.

Thanks for reminding me what an opinion is. Had you not done that I might have confused myself for thinking I was speaking in facts. Wait no, I even acknowledged it was my opinion in my post.

I did not mention the 3 game stretch because I saw no reason to. Honestly I did not see a problem with it. I'd like to see specifics on the middle game because the -7 does strike me as odd, but a net change of zero over that stretch is reasonable to me.

I did not address the 2 TD by the WR because I do not know what you are talking about. No mention of that was in the quote I posted.

I agree with the last part. The interactions do need to improve. There should be more pass breakups instead of int attempts. The game does a poor job of mimicking the contact of WR/CB battles. But I would not call it garbage. That is a good deal of hyperbole.
It's irrelevant because I'm talking about the confidence system in Madden, not what a real life QB throwing too many INT's would have their confidence be. Nobody would argue that being on pace to throw 29 INT's is going to be a positive influence on a QB's confidence. You're taking this discussion away from the root of it. It's a video game and I'm discussing things within this video game, not real life.

You are just failing to see my point, which is fine.

Horrible game: -19 confidence
Amazing game: +4 confidence

The fact I only had +4 confidence for throwing a flawless 4 TD performance in a victory is what is wrong with confidence. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you. It's not like the system takes into account my overall struggles over the course of the year and throws that into the equation.

The game a WR got the "I should have contributed more" (Which I've posted several times in here but apparently you pick and choose what posts you read and what part of the posts you will address)

WR Reggie Wayne: 4 rec, 29 yards, 2 TD

He caught two TD's yet he should have contributed more.

I've posted things that back up why I feel this way in the video game, not real life. Let's please not compare confidence from real life to a video game where we sit on our butts and manipulate a little controller in our hands in fantasy world.

On the garbage WR/DB interaction: fly routes are a perfect example of this and without a doubt they can be called garbage.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

Last edited by NDAlum; 09-28-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #61
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
It's irrelevant because I'm talking about the confidence system in Madden, not what a real life QB throwing too many INT's would have their confidence be. Nobody would argue that being on pace to throw 29 INT's is going to be a positive influence on a QB's confidence. You're taking this discussion away from the root of it. It's a video game and I'm discussing things within this video game, not real life.

The fact I only had +4 confidence for throwing a flawless 4 TD performance in a victory is what is wrong with confidence. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you. It's not like the system takes into account my overall struggles over the course of the year and throws that into the equation.

The game a WR got the "I should have contributed more" (Which I've posted several times in here but apparently you pick and choose what posts you read and what part of the posts you will address)

I've posted things that back up why I feel this way in the video game, not real life. Let's please not compare confidence from real life to a video game where we sit on our butts and manipulate a little controller in our hands in fantasy world.

On the garbage WR/DB interaction: fly routes are a perfect example of this and without a doubt they can be called garbage.
some people only care to argue to try to make themselves look better, what you are stating is EXACTLY what many people are also saying needs to be addressed here. Its a flawed scale system that needs attention and tweeks. The fact you can only gain such a tiny amount for a great game and can lose so much for the opposite shows how bad this system is set currently. I dont really get why the guy has such an issue just admitting , some of these things needs to be tweeked. It not like we are saying take the whole system out, or just give everyone 100 confidence. Its a new feature that needs some adjusting, nothing more. However the system should never be on that pushed players who have had a bad season into the dirt with no real hope of ever coming out of it most likely , and pumping up the teams that did well even higher , thus creating a much larger gap in competition years down the road. This is a video game, and guys dont join 32 man leagues to feel like , well sorry you had a bad season, now your team is pretty much going downhill from here out , cause you cant really get them back up to a good playing level. Sure u can boost two players confidence a week.... but going from 0-10 aint gonna help their attributes any. Most likely they will lose those 10 points in the following game . It needs to be a reset for bad players at start of new season.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #62
Just started!

OVR: 0

FIFA's "form" system shows it can be done right. It should be dynamic based on play by play basis not a checklist at the end of the game with predetermined points.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #63
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:

Is the videogame confidence supposed to be based off of real life concepts? I thought that is what sim gamers wanted?

I see your point, I just disagree with it. I am not opposed to a tweak where throwing 4 TDs gives more of a confidence gain, I am just cautious. I do not want to see a CFM where the majority of QBs have excellent confidence. Don't look at your one game in a vacuum. If EA adjusts the gains they need to be careful not to ruin the balance. I think it is already too easy to keep confidence high.

Am I to reply to every post in the thread? Of course not, every single person picks and chooses which posts to reply to. So that comment by you is up there with your opinion statement.
To the issue, he should have received a positive gain for catching two TD passes along with the negative one. That may sound nonsensical but it is better from a programming view.
4 catches 29 yards and 0 TDs for a starting WR should result in the confidence drop. Add a TD or two and we think he should not get it, but I am afraid that is asking too much of the EA programmers. They would probably screw the code up. So instead he should get both. I hope you understand what I am getting at, I think I am doing a horrible job at explaining this. What I mean is the more lines of code we ask them to write, the more likely of an error.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #64
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
some people only care to argue to try to make themselves look better, what you are stating is EXACTLY what many people are also saying needs to be addressed here. Its a flawed scale system that needs attention and tweeks. The fact you can only gain such a tiny amount for a great game and can lose so much for the opposite shows how bad this system is set currently. I dont really get why the guy has such an issue just admitting , some of these things needs to be tweeked. It not like we are saying take the whole system out, or just give everyone 100 confidence. Its a new feature that needs some adjusting, nothing more. However the system should never be on that pushed players who have had a bad season into the dirt with no real hope of ever coming out of it most likely , and pumping up the teams that did well even higher , thus creating a much larger gap in competition years down the road. This is a video game, and guys dont join 32 man leagues to feel like , well sorry you had a bad season, now your team is pretty much going downhill from here out , cause you cant really get them back up to a good playing level. Sure u can boost two players confidence a week.... but going from 0-10 aint gonna help their attributes any. Most likely they will lose those 10 points in the following game . It needs to be a reset for bad players at start of new season.
I have already said that I agree some tweaks (ea dude, not double e) should be made. I believe my first post mentioned three suggestions.

For what it is worth, I fully agree with homeycool's post.

What I disagree with is a reset to 50 for players that played poorly.
That is what started this pointless back and forth. My alternative is either a drift or a soft reset to the rating threshold.

I feel like this has went on long enough so to clear up any misunderstandings here is my stance:

1. The confidence mechanic needs to be tuned, but even as is I consider it a positive addition to the game.

2. Surprisingly the area I think it needs the most work is for defensive players. Outside from a few minor adjustments the offense is fine.

3. Maybe this is 2a. For confidence to meet its potential EA needs to introduce better stat tracking. Especially the catches allowed stat for CBs. And add number of times thrown to. These two things more than any other should be the primary influence on a corner's confidence.

4. I do want to get other peoples thoughts on this, personally I think the number of possible modifiers should be greatly increased. But I can see how a person could disagree with that.

5. Add more off the field modifiers. If a team had a horrible year and the coach was subsequently fired give the team a positive modifier.
**howboutdat** This would be the way I would agree with resetting poor teams to 50 confidence. Team finishes 3-13 but hire a new coach the players could view it as a new beginning. But a 3-13 team with the same coach? No.

Media questions have been useless since they were added. Make some questions affect confidence. We see it each week, a reporter asks the coach about player X. Your response should affect the team. But it should not be a simple good answer bad answer. Maybe the answer would boost one guy while dropping someone else.
Example:
Media: Coach Andrew Luck threw a costly interception in the 4th quarter...blah blah
Coach option A: Yeah he needs to be better than that. (Luck loses a small bit of confidence)
Coach option B: It was due to a miscommunication, the WR ran the wrong route (WR loses a small bit of confidence)
Something along those lines. These types of questions should occur mostly in the preseason though.

6. Probably too much to ask, but quality of players and teams should matter. If you are the Jaguars and you lose a close game at Denver you should not get hit with a drop. Conversely if you are Denver you should not get a increase.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »