Home

Throwing to RB/TE

This is a discussion on Throwing to RB/TE within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #9
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Throwing to RB/TE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtshurtleff
I just finished my season with Atlanta and noticed something very alarming to my usual style of play. Harry Douglas had 7 TD, Julio 11 and Roddy White had 6. Nobody else caught one. No TE, HB, FB, nobody. I use a lot of 3WR sets so that is one reason but I found slip screens to be very ineffective and my TEs can't get open. Maybe they're just not good but I haven't played with anyone else. How are your backs and TE doing? What was or is your distribution. To contrast last year I was Buffalo and my TE had like 6-8 TD every year. Scott Chandler I believe? I also had Spiller and Fred Jackson get 3-5 each per year with my receivers getting the remaining 15-20 depending on the year. Btw I play 15 minute quarters and throw on average 37 times per game with completion percent around 65%.
Doing a test CFM as San Diego and Danny Woodhead and Antonio Gates each are tied for 3rd on the team with 5 TD's. (Allen is first with 10 and Floyd is second with 8). Probably just the offense you play, in my offense the TE and 3rd down RB are very important positions.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

My TE Jared Cook on the Rams is actually leading my team in receiving yards after week 4. Is pretty clutch, when I need to dump it off to him on a 3 & 6 or 7.

As for screen plays to RBs, I found it's all in how you play call before calling a screen, the down and distance, and the way your opponent plays on defense. If I see something I don't like I'll audible out of the screen play, but I've had some great success on screens thus far.

I've also had success using my TE in a dual-backfield set along side my RB. RB on the left and the TE on the right. RB runs out to the flats, while the TE runs (excuse my ignorance, I don't know what the route is called) a route out of the backfield that looks like a 90 degree angle that starts out going left, then cuts up hard to the right, and passes across the middle of the field. If there aren't too many LBs in the middle and if they close to the line, I can usually get past the one LB, and complete a first down. I set this up though by running out of this formation as well.

Also not to mention all the PA fakes that has my TE as the main route. Either on the line, or a PA fake to the RB to the right side, and the TE goes out to the flats to the left, which works pretty often as well. Of course I try to set this up with the running game first.

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-25-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #11
Rookie

Tight end corner routes have my tight end open all day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Through five games in my CFM here on OS.

I was having a decent year with Flacco, but threw 5 picks in my last game
Did you make that graphic on your own or get it from the Online CFM website? Cause I can't get the online site to show my HB's receptions, only rushing stats.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

My TE is 2nd on the team in receptions.

Mesh, Drive, vertical, and curl concepts get tons of easy opportunities for the TE depending on the coverage. You just have to make the right read. Texas or Omaha for the RB against cover 2 is money all day. There's a myriad of opportunities to throw to the RB as they're your checkdown on a gazillion passing plays. The HB screen works great so long as the defense is in zone or blitzing. You just need to throw the ball as soon as your OL releases.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
Rookie

My last game, Witten had 17 receptions and 2 TDs and Escobar had 4 receptions and 1 TD. Murray gets a couple catches a game. I've only had shootout games or been on the losing end of blowouts, so it's not a surprise if I get 50+ Pass attempts in a game. I think I had Romo sitting at 37/55 452 yards and 5 TDs in my last game. Prior to this game, I've been spreading the ball around a lot more evenly. Sidney Rice could not get open, and Dez Bryant was eating a double coverage the whole game (really opened up Witten).

As for screens, I can't seem to get going with them. I have 1 that I got 10 yards with, but everything else has been 1-3 yards only.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
Did you make that graphic on your own or get it from the Online CFM website? Cause I can't get the online site to show my HB's receptions, only rushing stats.
It's from DaddyLeagues website

http://www.daddyleagues.com/

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #16
Banned

I always try to mirror my offense after the 90's Niners teams in some way. I don't care if I don't have playmakers at every position like they did, I try to get everyone involved in the offense and not key on one guy.

For me the idea of play calling and what you go for is to be able to do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it, when you start worrying about getting it to this guy or that guy because he is the "go to guy" well you're just making it easy on the defense.

There's plenty of plays in the book to get it to your HB in the redzone which is not a bad option down there, don't discount the FB as well if you have one. They're not as open in the flats as they used to be down around the goal line, but hit em with play action around the 15 out of a twins formation (two WR to one side out of two back set) that dude is going to be open plenty.

So yeah, my distribution of scoring plays tends to be pretty balanced.

As for the screen passes I've hit the HB screen for some big gains. The defense is not stupid though so it's situational. You literally have to call it a situation that doesn't make a lot of sense. Not 3rd and forever or 2nd and 10. Try running the ball out of shotgun a half dozen times over a couple of drives, and hit em with it out of no where, pretty sweet to pull one off.

Last edited by therewillbechud; 09-25-2014 at 03:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »