Home

Size Rating

This is a discussion on Size Rating within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: Size Rating

I don't think the size rating is really relevant, I've seen guys who are separated by 5 pounds and the smaller guy will have a higher size rating, which doesn't really make sense. Unless I'm missing something, it seems to be off.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganfan8620
I don't think the size rating is really relevant, I've seen guys who are separated by 5 pounds and the smaller guy will have a higher size rating, which doesn't really make sense. Unless I'm missing something, it seems to be off.
The size rating depends on your scheme. Speed backs are smaller, power backs bigger, etc.

Not sure if it is relevant actually in game, however I like to try and keep it realistic. I'm not playing smaller speed rushers as 3-4 Defensive ends, etc.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by burth179
The size rating depends on your scheme. Speed backs are smaller, power backs bigger, etc.

Not sure if it is relevant actually in game, however I like to try and keep it realistic. I'm not playing smaller speed rushers as 3-4 Defensive ends, etc.
I have run a 3-4 almost exclusively every year in Madden. My 3-4 ends are usually guys in the 270-290 range that have a mix of speed and power like Greg Hardy with a true nose tackle in the 320-340 range. I usually have a few true 3-4 ends in the 300 pound range for situational defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgetright
I have played every Madden for the last ten years. I have not seen their weight, height, size, ratings, or anything other than sliders matter!
There is this series called Breaking Madden that you should check out.

Then come back and let us know if you still think ratings do not matter.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

As far as I can tell the size rating only exists to modify the scheme-specific OVR rating, which has the effect of driving the CPU roster management AI towards different players who better align with whatever their specific scheme settings are.

I've not noticed height or weight ever making any difference in the more recent Madden games and I consider them to be purely cosmetic; I don't know that for a fact, however. It's my opinion that the player ratings alone drive the game.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #14
Rookie

It depends on how you play. If you play online or against friends Height is one of the most important things in the game
Old 10-02-2014, 04:24 AM   #15
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgetright
I have played every Madden for the last ten years. I have not seen their weight, height, size, ratings, or anything other than sliders matter!
I have a rookie 6'6 92 Release receiver on pace for 1600 yards and 13 TDs that would disagree with you. I play with a good slider set, yes, but I'm pretty sure I've been picked off several times trying to throw the same 1-on-1 passes to Tavon Austin. Only Richard Sherman in Cover 3 (threw it to his side on accident, completely forgot about him, Tyrann Mathieu in Cover 2 and Joe Haden in Man have actually made a legitimate play on the 25-40 yard passes I throw to him. It's either an incompletion on a hit or a contested catch and is about 70/30 catch-to-incompletion if I read the play correctly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2014, 04:40 AM   #16
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
As far as I can tell the size rating only exists to modify the scheme-specific OVR rating, which has the effect of driving the CPU roster management AI towards different players who better align with whatever their specific scheme settings are.

I've not noticed height or weight ever making any difference in the more recent Madden games and I consider them to be purely cosmetic; I don't know that for a fact, however. It's my opinion that the player ratings alone drive the game.
That's how it should be. You can abuse Man Coverage in this game if you have a *skilled* big target. But not every big target should be that way. I drafted 2 6'6 WRs in the same draft with the same OVR (77) and one came in with low confidence that dropped his rating to 73 (finally up to 77 again after 11 weeks and he started the 12th). The other has since upgraded to 80 and has high confidence to get him to 83. Whether it's placebo or not, they play differently. The adjusted 83 WR is my most reliable receiver (and my slowest, with 85 speed) now. The other tends to drop a majority of the same jump balls I throw and I have only recently begun to work him into the offense with simple routes.

The position-specific ratings should matter most for the player, no matter the size or speed: for every Calvin Johnson (size) or Earl Thomas (speed), you have several James Hardy's and Taylor Mays's. This, to me, seems to be the most balanced Madden I've ever played in terms of how the ratings play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »