Home

Defensive Play Calling - No Time, No Time

This is a discussion on Defensive Play Calling - No Time, No Time within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2014, 02:30 AM   #1
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4
Defensive Play Calling - No Time, No Time

It seems like we got a spiffy new play calling screen, with a couple of of new/improved features . . . and absolutely no time to use it. I cannot remember whether the defensive timer was 12 or 15 seconds last year, but I do recall in previous iterations of EA football games, the AI opponent took a couple of seconds to pick a play before the defensive timer started. This year, the defensive play call timers starts immediately, and, as stated above, we get only 12 seconds.

I am sure that is fine with some of the guys that have everything memorized and do not care to make subs, switch up packages, etc. but I am finding I barely have enough time to find the play I want, much less fine tune the package. We desperately need need either/both a 15 second defensive play clock, or at least for the AI to burn 2-3 seconds "picking" its play (the latter would be better from the perspective of making time management more realistic). I hope we get formation subs we can modify in the Franchise screen in the future, but until then, we need more time to pick and adjust plays on defense.

Along the same lines, can we get some AI QBs that do not always quick snap the ball? Again, I struggle to make even a simply read and adjustment on the line, as the AI usually snaps before I can get to the right player/menu.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Defensive Play Calling - No Time, No Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
Along the same lines, can we get some AI QBs that do not always quick snap the ball? Again, I struggle to make even a simply read and adjustment on the line, as the AI usually snaps before I can get to the right player/menu.
The CPU offense never taking time off the clock unless winning and less than 3:00 minutes to play has always bothered me. I believe EA does it for those that play 5:00 minute quarters, but things to need to be worked according to how long your quarters are.

I play 15 minute quarters and rarely does the CPU try to take time off the clock, to keep my defense on the field and theirs off... their drives are typically 9 plays, 80 yards, 1:56 off the clock or I've even seen 13 plays, 86 yards, 2:11 off the clock.

Seriously??? This needs to be addressed and fixed based on quarter length. And if you are playing longer - read: normal quarters - then the CPU should behave differently.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Whenever I come in the Madden section I see a few threads and just wait patiently for the first patch this game desperately needs. I've NEVER had this issue in previous Madden's but there are more than a few times a game now where the game automatically ends up picking a play for me and the CPU snaps the ball so fast you barely have any time to see what play they called for you much less adjust it.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:05 AM   #4
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
The CPU offense never taking time off the clock unless winning and less than 3:00 minutes to play has always bothered me. I believe EA does it for those that play 5:00 minute quarters, but things to need to be worked according to how long your quarters are.

I play 15 minute quarters and rarely does the CPU try to take time off the clock, to keep my defense on the field and theirs off... their drives are typically 9 plays, 80 yards, 1:56 off the clock or I've even seen 13 plays, 86 yards, 2:11 off the clock.

Seriously??? This needs to be addressed and fixed based on quarter length. And if you are playing longer - read: normal quarters - then the CPU should behave differently.
This can be fixed simply with Accelerated Clock. Gave up a 7:00 TD drive in my last game vs the Bears with runoff set to 20 seconds. On defense, my only workaround--if I'm doing a form sub (CB for SS for Man blitzes or subbing in Robert Quinn in PSYCHO 1-5-5, usually)--is to click L3 (Supersim) and exit again. It resets the clock to :12 and you can start all over again. My only problem with the game is the CPU's Hurry-Up offense speed. The CPU can usually get off a play in 7 seconds, even if they sent their WRs in 4-Verts.sometimes, you can't even pick a play during this time.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #5
Rookie

saybur's Arena

OVR: 0

You also can't get into player lock when the CPU is in hurry up because it goes to that close up view of their offense up until they hike it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
It seems like we got a spiffy new play calling screen, with a couple of of new/improved features . . . and absolutely no time to use it. I cannot remember whether the defensive timer was 12 or 15 seconds last year, but I do recall in previous iterations of EA football games, the AI opponent took a couple of seconds to pick a play before the defensive timer started. This year, the defensive play call timers starts immediately, and, as stated above, we get only 12 seconds.

I am sure that is fine with some of the guys that have everything memorized and do not care to make subs, switch up packages, etc. but I am finding I barely have enough time to find the play I want, much less fine tune the package. We desperately need need either/both a 15 second defensive play clock, or at least for the AI to burn 2-3 seconds "picking" its play (the latter would be better from the perspective of making time management more realistic). I hope we get formation subs we can modify in the Franchise screen in the future, but until then, we need more time to pick and adjust plays on defense.

Playing online is 50 times worse. You get a "OFFENSE IS CHOOSING THEIR PERSONNEL" screen and it stops you from selecting a formation. Then you have 10 seconds to look at their personnel and adjust yours accordingly, pick your formation, and select your play. It is freaking absurd.

Not to mention, every time you change possession or sometimes even when you don't your play calling style choice is reset, wasting even MORE precious time. To call this poorly designed is an understatement at best. Hopefully the patch will address this.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I'm really big into design. I think the minutia makes a big difference in the quality of a product, and there are some poor design choices here that really need to be addressed. Last year it felt perfect.

I love to change my packages (like real life). Early runs downs, the offense comes out in a 3 wide set, I may want to go to the Big Nickel, I may want to D-line sub in the middle of a long drive, but by the time I see the offensive personnel, scroll to the formation, then right stick to the package, actually getting a playcall in a rush job at best.

Ideally, we'd have the option, before starting a game, to select fast gameplay/normal gameplay, etc.

Also, one little small aside that's irking me. It used to be that you could select your formation and get into the playcall screen (with the actual coverages and such) and then select what package you wanted with the right stick. Now you have to select your package from the formation screen which is an annoyance when you're forced to hurry.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
NBA All Life Team

DiceMan's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer

Also, one little small aside that's irking me. It used to be that you could select your formation and get into the playcall screen (with the actual coverages and such) and then select what package you wanted with the right stick. Now you have to select your package from the formation screen which is an annoyance when you're forced to hurry.
It's funny because I just realized that the packages were still in the game 2 days ago. I thought they had been taken out because of the point you just broght up. Hopefully there's a fix in the works to at least get us more time to choose plays.
NY Yankees
4 Life.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »