Home

Trading Up in the Draft

This is a discussion on Trading Up in the Draft within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Rookie

TitanUP2's Arena

OVR: 0
Trading Up in the Draft

I'm just curious on what do you usually have to offer to move up in the draft?

I offered my 1st rd pick (28th pick), 2nd rd & 5th rounder in next years draft to like 7 teams in front of me (picks 20 through 27) and nobody would take it.

I wanted to move up about 10 spots in the first rd to get a player I really wanted and turns out he got drafted one pick in front of me. He was RT that came out to an 88 overall and is only 22 years old.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Re: Trading Up in the Draft

You can get Offensive Lineman that are rated highly until about the middle of the 6th round, I'm talking low-mid 80s. You have a better value by finding these guys, and drafting them late, and keeping/using your picks on guys that are rare. I would almost never draft an OL in the 1st round, unless all my bases are covered already and its a luxury pick.

Secondly, I NEVER Trade up, unless there's a freak of nature. (Calvin Johnson, AP, Patrick Willis, JJ WATT) When I do trade up, it takes a solid player, and a pair of 1st round picks.

But since you wanted to trade, I would've added a player that "said" team needed, and picks. The draft is meant to improve your team, so in the game if you can fill a position of need, AND give them a high pick or two, they'll most likely accept. Established players mean more than draft picks in the game.

It doesn't have to be a great player, just someone that they may be interested in.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

What breakingbad said is correct. It is often easier to add a player of need in the trade.

You should also be aware that current draft picks are more valuable than future picks.
In your scenario they were not interested in current 1st and next year's 2nd, but had you offered them this year's second they might have took it.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Banned

You can get great value for 1sts if you trade in the preseason and players in positions of need for that team but with draft classes this year I am also in favor of stacking picks late for cheap instead of in the top 10. You won't be able to move up mid draft without paying for it.

Last edited by Dynastyyy; 10-06-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
You can get Offensive Lineman that are rated highly until about the middle of the 6th round, I'm talking low-mid 80s. You have a better value by finding these guys, and drafting them late, and keeping/using your picks on guys that are rare.
It's funny that you say that, because while it is true, I have a story that is just crazy... I was in my first draft with the Oilers and there was a RT that I not only wanted, but needed. He was projected mid 2nd and I had something like the 43rd pick...

Chicago offered a deal too good to pass up, for my 2nd (43rd) I would receive their 2nd (51), their 4th and 5th. So I thought it over and made the deal.

So there I am at 51 and my RT is still there. Then Jacksonville offers me their 2nd (58), their 4th and 6th - how they were drafting that low is beyond me, must have been a trade, anyway, a chance to pick up two more picks and only drop down 7 more spots... heck yeah!

So the Chiefs are at #57 and they take my RT... I was bummed. I had a back-up plan in place and had to take my "back-up plan RT..." Well, long story short, the guy that I coveted that the Chiefs took, ended up being a 63 overall with only 71 pass blocking.

My back-up plan... came in at 79 overall with pass blocking at 83, and in my offense, I require linemen that can pass block.

So... long story short... always have a back-up plan and never be afraid to trade down. That RT is starting, is in his second year and is now 88 overall. That guy the Chiefs took... he's languishing on the bench! LOL

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
So... long story short... always have a back-up plan and never be afraid to trade down. That RT is starting, is in his second year and is now 88 overall. That guy the Chiefs took... he's languishing on the bench! LOL
How many picks did you end up with in that draft? Sounds like you might have made out pretty well.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #7
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
How many picks did you end up with in that draft? Sounds like you might have made out pretty well.
I ended up with 13 picks, but was rebuilding the team to fit my scheme - not EA's "scheme," - but guys I needed for the Run & Shoot offense and an attacking, 46 style defense.

Of those 13, 10 are starters. I took a chance on an OLB who was projected in the top 15 picks, but was still on the board in round 4. I never scouted him and probably should have left him alone, but a top 15 pick in round 4???

He came in at 63 overall. On the season he has one sack, something like 7 or 8 tackles and one fumble recovery. He's only 21, so I have time to build him up and don't have a need for him right now... so by the time he's 25, hopefully he'll be up around 75, 76, somewhere in there.

I landed two WR's with explosive speed. One guy, DeAngelo Ash, caught a 3-yard pass in my last game and turned that into an 85-yard TD. He just EXPLODED past everybody on a shallow crossing route. I was really awed.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
I
Is the Run and Shoot better than Philly's playbook?

How can you run a 46 scheme, they don't have too many packages for it do they?

I'm guessing there's a lot of versatility depending on Madden's restrictions.

You could do 4 DTs, 2 Ends, MLB, SS
2 NT, 2 ends, 3 LBs, SS
NT, 3 ends, 3 LBs, SS/CB?
5 ends, 2 LBs, CB
Super heavy 3 NT, 2 DT, DE, MLB, SS?

Can you sub that SS for a LB or corner? For the LB spots can you go heavy with a DT or DE? Makes me wonder.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »