Home

Zone Coverage

This is a discussion on Zone Coverage within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

OVR: 0
Zone Coverage

Hey fellas, and maybe some ladies; I have a quick question. Has anyone figured out how to make zone coverage actually work, outside of usering the player. Especially when it comes to flats.

I consider myself to be good at Madden, but I can't figure out how to keep my cover 2 or cover 3 flat zones, actually in the flats. Instead the drop back 5-7 yards off of the LOS, and allow flats to be thrown to all day. I've even had a cover 2 with a purple zone, AND Flats, and they just bunch up all back on that sideline. I've had to change my entire playing style, to play as the CB to stick those short routes.

Also the coverage assignments or changes don't do ANYTHING for my gameplay. I try to get my CBs to play inside of the WR, instead, he still plays outside. Same with If I want them to play under, they'll play over or outside. Kind of a wasted mechanic IMO.

I haven't played since the patch, since buying a home I've had no time to play, let alone get internet turned back on lol(Monday can't come soon enough).

Anyways, was just wondering if anyone noticed this and or had a fix for it. I can't seem to get my players to actually stay in his area, let alone notice the player in it lol. I've had countless times where I've had cover two sink, and they just let a WR catch the ball right behind them erg!

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Rookie

Slim4824's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Zone Coverage

Make sure you adjust your cbs coverage to play underneath

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
Also the coverage assignments or changes don't do ANYTHING for my gameplay. I try to get my CBs to play inside of the WR, instead, he still plays outside. Same with If I want them to play under, they'll play over or outside. Kind of a wasted mechanic IMO.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim4824
Make sure you adjust your cbs coverage to play underneath

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Notice 1st post.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Rookie

Cover 3 with the Dolphins was working great for me, naturally CBs are gonna drop back a little bit because if they stay in the flats odds are that a play isn't aiming there.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRocket
Cover 3 with the Dolphins was working great for me, naturally CBs are gonna drop back a little bit because if they stay in the flats odds are that a play isn't aiming there.
I'll have RBs always just sitting in the flats, while the CB covers nothing lol. I guess there's no way to make them actually STAY in the flat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Just like in real life, a CB playing cover 2 or cover 3 does not always stay in the flat from the get-go. He reads the offense and will tentatively follow the WR if he sees nothing coming out of the flat. That's what make those backfield delay routes (the purple ones) so deadly. Because those backs stay in to pass block. The CB playing flat follows the WR, and it's an easy completion and probably 10 yards to the RB. To perfectly illustrate this concept, see Brent Grime's interception vs Brees from a couple years ago. The falcons were playing cover 2 and Grimes followed Henderson since he saw no flats to cover. Brees attempted to fit that ball in that cover 2 gap but Grimes just had an insane vertical. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvF0Jwfu3hk

On the other hand, if the offense has a RB running a flat or swing as soon as the ball is snapped, the CB will see it (assuming he's not some idiot with low awareness or PRC) and attempt stay in the flat. THAT's when you can exploit that zone gap in cover 2 and burn the defense with a well-timed fade. This is something Madden 15 attempts to fix as opposed to Madden 25, where cover 2 always means big completions because the CB stays in the flat no matter what.

Cover 3 flat, on the other hand, is a tougher problem to solve. Your OLBs and/or strong safety usually as the flat responsibilities, and they are usually the ones with the low zone coverage rating. I get burned more with the flat vs cover 3 in general. But honestly, I'd rather give up the small completions then a big play vs man coverage.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Banned

Can someone explain to me both how you play good zone, and how you read zones? I always played OL and DL in real life, so I never learned coverages and stuff, and it hurts my Madden gameplay.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Rookie

I would like to know as well...I've been getting scorched by defenses because of how deceptive the zone plays this year. Been looking for tips all over this forum and to no avail.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »