Home

Is it even possible to consistently run the ball well?

This is a discussion on Is it even possible to consistently run the ball well? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Is it even possible to consistently run the ball well?

EA uses tricks like making the AI turn your players into clueless idiots instead of simple things like players simply getting beat to make the games competitive. It is the reason some people love the 2k game even though the legends are powered up the running game can be stopped or slowed down with sound football logic. This has been the case for years. You will never have a totally dominant running game in an EA game no matter how high your line and Rb is rated. The AI will strike at key moments forcing you out of running.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo
I am not seeing this on counters. Usually if it gets blown up its because the DE wins his 1on1 or a blitzing LB hits the right gap...both of which should happen in those cases.

Let me ask this - when the pulling guard "doesn't acknowledge the end man" what exactly is he doing? Who would you assign to block the end?

I think a lot of the problem is that blocking uses "madden logic" and stick to it - not adapting. Say its a normal 4-3 and you are running the counter left. My LT picks up the DE. C picks up the DT. LG picks up a LB. The pulling RG will go through the gap and hit the first free man (safety/LB depending on defensive play). If the DE clearly beats my LT inside in the real world I'd see the pulling guard pick up the DE (and give me a chance at 3yds) instead of waving on the way past him and me taking a 2 yd loss.

Now I'm not saying its great or fully realistic - but it does work - and understanding what they are trying to do makes it much easier for you to use it successfully.
No, I'm talking about when the T is supposed to go to the LB and the pulling G is supposed to kick out the DE. Every so often, the pulling G just runs right by the DE, leaving me with a 3-4 yard loss. The pulling G will literally block no one.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 4

After recently moving up to all madden, no I don't think so...unless you spam the jumbo 2 TE set and run sweeps/tosses, which the ai cannot handle, but that's no fun. I think part of the problem is the physics engine itself, which year 3 in a 3 year plan is still wonky with bodies flying everywhere, rbs often getting stuck to blockers, and horrible ai.

The only time I'm stopped running sweeps/toss plays is when my blockers ignore their blocking assignments and decide to either double team a player that they shouldn't, or randomly run a streak route, leaving me to try to do my best Barry Sanders impression juking 3 defenders in the backfield. And when I try to run inside, a lot of the time the defender tackles me even though he's blocked. Okay...maybe if you're a beast like Lawrence Taylor.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman021
EA uses tricks like making the AI turn your players into clueless idiots instead of simple things like players simply getting beat to make the games competitive. It is the reason some people love the 2k game even though the legends are powered up the running game can be stopped or slowed down with sound football logic. This has been the case for years. You will never have a totally dominant running game in an EA game no matter how high your line and Rb is rated. The AI will strike at key moments forcing you out of running.
I'm using armour and swords slider set and I find some games I will have to abandon the run because I can't get anywhere and other games I run all over my opponent. In the last game I played I broke the single game rushing record
Old 10-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

I can't run to the outside of me to save my life no matter the team. However, I can usually pull off 90-110 yards a game by mixing Trap/Counter/Slam on All-Madden with SEC's sliders. Week 7 of my Titans franchise, and Shonn Greene leads the league with 724 yards (McCluster and Sankey both got injured in Preseason)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #22
Banned

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like to use "money" plays, I like to run schemes. I like inside zones, stretches, and traps. Three easy, sound football concepts that EA managed to messed up. But I like them because they give really easy blocks. Zones allow the OL to make whatever blocks they want, and traps let the OL block down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »