Home

How to play better defense?

This is a discussion on How to play better defense? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: How to play better defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1136
How do you disguise coverages?
Well, a quick way from cover 2 is to show blitz, but mostly plays that automatically do it. Like show 4 cover 2 and 3 buzz press.

3 buzz press is a GREAT play against a human player that thinks he's reading my coverages right. I just got 3 picks with that play and made my opponent quit. It's also solid against the run, as it has two guys coming DOWN to the flats, so their momentum and speed allows them to shed blockers on the outside. I little think up the middle, but I just move my 3 technique to a 2 and user him.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaChest
Well, a quick way from cover 2 is to show blitz, but mostly plays that automatically do it. Like show 4 cover 2 and 3 buzz press.

3 buzz press is a GREAT play against a human player that thinks he's reading my coverages right. I just got 3 picks with that play and made my opponent quit. It's also solid against the run, as it has two guys coming DOWN to the flats, so their momentum and speed allows them to shed blockers on the outside. I little think up the middle, but I just move my 3 technique to a 2 and user him.
3 buzz press is one of my most called plays. I also do the same with showing blitz even though I'm not blitzing as a way to disguise coverage. I almost never pick my play and dont make any preplay adjustments. You almost have to do a couple things to play defense correctly. Which is realistic iMO because every offense and defense makes adjustments at the LOS based on what they see. I wish there were more of those "Show _ Cover _" plays that did it for you but those plays should definitely be in your rotation too.

Are you on Xbox One?

I also suggest using the spotlight. Just be careful who you spotlight based on your coverage called. Players will jump that guy and leave openings if you don't have help behind them. but if you have a guy targeting the same player again and again or you think a running play is coming or theirs only one offensive threat. Spotlight works wonders if that player does end up with the ball.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
Banned

I'm on PS3. What are the controls to spotlight?

Also, how the F do you contain the QB? I put defenders in flats, I put men on the QB, I contained, AND I spread the line, and Manziel STILL rolled out and killed me every play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaChest
I'm on PS3. What are the controls to spotlight?

Also, how the F do you contain the QB? I put defenders in flats, I put men on the QB, I contained, AND I spread the line, and Manziel STILL rolled out and killed me every play.
Coverage audible > individual receiver icon > "X" to spotlight

They changed contain to "L1" then "R1" on PS3 I think. It's one of those defensive shifts. They have some plays that have QB contain built into them supposedly.

Or you could try those "wide" formations if you know the rollout is coming. That should help you be a little more spread across the field.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordtobigbird
Coverage audible > individual receiver icon > "X" to spotlight

They changed contain to "L1" then "R1" on PS3 I think. It's one of those defensive shifts. They have some plays that have QB contain built into them supposedly.

Or you could try those "wide" formations if you know the rollout is coming. That should help you be a little more spread across the field.
I figured it out. And I know how to contain, it just doesn't work at all. Not even a little bit.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #14
Banned

Any other plays from Nickel Normal or other 4-man line nickel formations that I can use to confuse my opponent and be less predictable?

Also, are there any cover 2 robber plays? Where is the cover 2 slot man play?

I'm just looking for more plays to use. Any Nickel Normal plays to stop the run without sacrificing my coverage too much?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »