Home

Easiest way to scout Dev trait?

This is a discussion on Easiest way to scout Dev trait? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 02-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #177
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Easiest way to scout Dev trait?

I used a combination of what I have gleaned from a handful of posts in this thread in a recent online league draft where I drafted 22nd overall and also had extra picks in rounds 2 and 4. I netted a decent WR in Round 1 (77 overall) with average development with 88 speed, 93 release, good CIT but regular catching just 75 so he was a bit of a let down. With the 12th pick of round 2 I landed a stud WR with 94 speed, 96 acceleration, 68 awareness, 85 catching, 87 release and only needs a little boosting in route running. I had scouted his B intangible, B personality and B consistency and this resulted in him having Superstar development and being a 79 overall.

With the 22nd pick of round 2 I landed a Superstar development CB with 91 speed, 88 man cover, 83 zone cover, 83 press and decent awareness. He's a 78 overall. In round 3 I landed a 230lb RB with 90 speed who is 75 overall with Fast development and just needs a boost in carrying to be an every down type of back. I also got a 68 overall LT with average development in round 4 and he was just okay but I needed a backup and by that point the other tackles I liked more were already off the board. My needs were few heading into this draft although WR was the main one as you might already know.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #178
Esports Manager @ Twitch

CloudFuel's Arena

OVR: 0

There is no guaranteed method, but I have tested the below methods with a very high success rate -

* Intangible + Preferred Attributes
* Preferred Attributes

--------------------------------------------------------------

Let me preface this by saying that you need to be LESS fixated on the team & player schemes within Madden... and MORE fixated on the things that make the biggest difference on field AS WELL AS the things that are the most expensive to increase over time.

In my experience with league drafts and testing drafts, you basically have 5 kinds of players -

A) Elite - High physical, intangible, and awareness
B) Elite Lite - High physical, intangible, but low awareness
C) Average - Average physical, intangible, and awareness
D) Weak Intelligent - Low physical, high intangible, high awareness
E) Failure - Low physical, low intangible, low awareness

No matter what style of play you run, you want either Elite players or Elite Lite players. Elite players have basically everything you need to start right now, while Elite Lite players just need work in a few minor areas to be studs.

The development is EXTREMELY hit or miss, so it's not something I would focus on nor how I would grade my draft. I've seen complete monsters with normal development, while there's a guy who is slow, weak, and has 20 AWR with SS development. I honestly wish that DEV was an unknown factor that would help players improve faster / play better than expected... but that's not the case, unfortunately.

So, if you've followed along to this point, you know that we are focusing on specific attributes that make the most impact and/or cost the most... but we are not focusing on the Madden schemes or development. This, then, brings us to the point of what makes the biggest impact and what costs the most?

IMPACT + HIGH COST (these have huge impact and are very expensive) -

SPD
ACC
AGI

IMPACT + MEDIUM COST (these have huge impact and are moderately expensive) -

POW
STR
MCV
ZCV
PMV
FMV

ELU
BCV
SPC
JMP

THP

IMPACT (these have a big impact but aren't very expensive) -

TRK
CAR
CTH
CIT
RTE
RLS
PBK
RBK
IBK
SAC
MAC
DAC

BSH
PRC
PUR
PRS
TAK

Now, with regards to scouting you're usually limited on SP to spend in your first few seasons so you need to focus on getting the most knowledge about players with the least amount of SP possible. There are a few things I avoid in order to do so -

1) 1st round players above my pick. They're either great and long gone before I pick... or they have major issues and you don't want them anyways.
2) Development or any true grades. These simply cost WAY TOO MUCH.
3) Players/Positions that I don't really need right now. Hit your priority spots first and THEN come back for the best available guys.

So at this point you need to have narrowed down to your PRIORITY positions either because of a lack of depth, lack of starters, or both. Once you have this list, you can start to focus on what to scout for each one by deciding what's most important to you. I have found it best to prioritize the order of what I scout based on the important/cost listed earlier and force myself to stop scouting a player if they do not meet the minimum requirements (ie a QB needs a THP of A or I don't scout any further).

Not all of these are necessary to scout if these are not things that you care about as much, but these are the most important per position...

QB - THP, SAC, MAC, DAC, SPD (SPD is not a requirement)
RB - SPD, ACC, AGI, STR, BCV, ELU, CAR, TRK, CTH, CIT
FB - STR, BCV, TRK, PBK, RBK, IBK
WR - SPD, ACC, AGI, CTH, CIT, RTE, RLS, JMP, SPC
TE - SPD, ACC, AGI, STR, CTH, CIT, RTE, RLS, JMP, SPC, PBK, RBK, IBK
OL - STR, PBK, RBK, IBK

DL - STR, SPD, ACC, AGI, PMV, FMV, BSH, TAK
LB - STR, SPD, ACC, AGI, BSH, ZCV, TAK, POW, PRC, PUR
DB - STR, SPD, ACC, AGI, BSH, ZCV, MCV, TAK, POW, PRC, PUR

K/P - POW, ACC

You need to determine what is the most important to you.

FOR EXAMPLE... I prefer a speedy CB with great ZCV, good MCV, great PRC, good CTH, great JMP, and great PRS. I know that I can EASILY upgrade PRS, PRC, & CTH. MCV & ZCV are a little harder to get up... and SPD/ACC are pretty much impossible. So I first look for CBs with A SPD & ACC, then I move to ZCV & MCV. I take the best of those and if I still need to whittle my list down, then I'll scout CTH, PRS, & PRC to come up with my top players. If I don't find many with great SPD/ACC and ZCV/MCV, then I won't go any further. I'm trying to conserve SP.

With this approach, I can EASILY scout through 4-7 different positions (50-75 players) and find gems that I target.

If I have SP left over, then I will go back and either scout INTANGIBLE on the players I've already scouted but need to learn a little more about... or go to another position around a spot I am picking and scout those.

I consistently get stud players, either 75+, high dev, a quick work in progress, or a combination of those three.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll do my best to help.

Last edited by CloudFuel; 02-06-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #179
Rookie

OVR: 3

Excellent post. I follow a lot of these same methods and it netted me two high 70s rated guys (WR and CB) with superstar development and 75 overall RB with Fast development. All have good awareness to start so they would qualify as elite players and I took none of them in round 1 either.

I just want to add while I do find Intangible quite important I also think personality and consistency can indicate a person's likely development stage when combined with intangible. So B personality or consistency was the case on all of the above 3 players I mentioned. The players I drafted that were not B in personality or consistency have average development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudFuel
There is no guaranteed method, but I have tested the below methods with a very high success rate -

* Intangible + Preferred Attributes
* Preferred Attributes

Let me preface this by saying that you need to be LESS fixated on the team & player schemes within Madden... and MORE fixated on the things that make the biggest difference on field AS WELL AS the things that are the most expensive to increase over time.

In my experience with league drafts and testing drafts, you basically have 5 kinds of players -

A) Elite - High physical, intangible, and awareness
B) Elite Lite - High physical, intangible, but low awareness
C) Average - Average physical, intangible, and awareness
D) Weak Intelligent - Low physical, high intangible, high awareness
E) Failure - Low physical, low intangible, low awareness

No matter what style of play you run, you want either Elite players or Elite Lite players. Elite players have basically everything you need to start right now, while Elite Lite players just need work in a few minor areas to be studs.

The development is EXTREMELY hit or miss, so it's not something I would focus on nor how I would grade my draft. I've seen complete monsters with normal development, while there's a guy who is slow, weak, and has 20 AWR with SS development. I honestly wish that DEV was an unknown factor that would help players improve faster / play better than expected... but that's not the case, unfortunately.

So, if you've followed along to this point, you know that we are focusing on specific attributes that make the most impact and/or cost the most... but we are not focusing on the Madden schemes or development. This, then, brings us to the point of what makes the biggest impact and what costs the most?

IMPACT + HIGH COST (these have huge impact and are very expensive) -

SPD
ACC
AGI

IMPACT + MEDIUM COST (these have huge impact and are very expensive) -

POW
STR
MCV
ZCV
PMV
FMV

ELU
BCV
SPC
JMP

THP

IMPACT (these have a big impact but aren't very expensive) -

TRK
CAR
CTH
CIT
RTE
RLS
PBK
RBK
IBK
SAC
MAC
DAC

BSH
PRC
PUR
PRS
TAK

Now, with regards to scouting you're usually limited on SP to spend in your first few seasons so you need to focus on getting the most knowledge about players with the least amount of SP possible. There are a few things I avoid in order to do so -

1) 1st round players above my pick. They're either great and long gone before I pick... or they have major issues and you don't want them anyways.
2) Development or any true grades. These simply cost WAY TOO MUCH.
3) Players/Positions that I don't really need right now. Hit your priority spots first and THEN come back for the best available guys.

So at this point you need to have narrowed down to your PRIORITY positions either because of a lack of depth, lack of starters, or both. Once you have this list, you can start to focus on what to scout for each one by deciding what's most important to you. I have found it best to prioritize the order of what I scout based on the important/cost listed earlier and force myself to stop scouting a player if they do not meet the minimum requirements (ie a QB needs a THP of A or I don't scout any further).

Not all of these are necessary to scout if these are not things that you care about as much, but these are the most important per position...

QB - THP, SAC, MAC, DAC, SPD (SPD is not a requirement)
RB - SPD, ACC, AGI, STR, BCV, ELU, CAR, TRK, CTH, CIT
FB - STR, BCV, TRK, PBK, RBK, IBK
WR - SPD, ACC, AGI, CTH, CIT, RTE, RLS, JMP, SPC
TE - SPD, ACC, AGI, STR, CTH, CIT, RTE, RLS, JMP, SPC, PBK, RBK, IBK
OL - STR, PBK, RBK, IBK

DL - STR, SPD, ACC, AGI, PMV, FMV, BSH, TAK
LB - STR, SPD, ACC, AGI, BSH, ZCV, TAK, POW, PRC, PUR
DB - STR, SPD, ACC, AGI, BSH, ZCV, MCV, TAK, POW, PRC, PUR

K/P - POW, ACC

You need to determine what is the most important to you.

FOR EXAMPLE... I prefer a speedy CB with great ZCV, good MCV, great PRC, good CTH, great JMP, and great PRS. I know that I can EASILY upgrade PRS, PRC, & CTH. MCV & ZCV are a little harder to get up... and SPD/ACC are pretty much impossible. So I first look for CBs with A SPD & ACC, then I move to ZCV & MCV. I take the best of those and if I still need to whittle my list down, then I'll scout CTH, PRS, & PRC to come up with my top players. If I don't find many with great SPD/ACC and ZCV/MCV, then I won't go any further. I'm trying to conserve SP.

With this approach, I can EASILY scout through 4-7 different positions (50-75 players) and find gems that I target.

If I have SP left over, then I will go back and either scout INTANGIBLE on the players I've already scouted but need to learn a little more about... or go to another position around a spot I am picking and scout those.

I consistently get stud players, either 75+, high dev, a quick work in progress, or a combination of those three.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll do my best to help.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:14 AM   #180
MVP

milldaddy35's Arena

Great Information man. I appreciate it.

College Football - Iowa Hawkeyes
College Basketball - Iowa Hawkeyes

MLB - Minnesota Twins
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
NFL - New York Jets
NHL - Minnesota Wild
Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #181
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Agree with a lot of what CloudFuel said, but also agree that the strategy is being a bit defeatist about finding SS development players. The Dev trait makes a big difference in how quickly you can get your guys attributes up, and will maximize the amount of attributes your team as a whole gets if you prioritize training up Quick/SS Dev players.

This can be done efficiently by screening players' intangible & personality. The two together are highly correlated with development (and OVR). Add in physical, and I think for most positions, you can make a decision on whether to draft a player based on these alone. Scouting 5-6 traits per player can be expensive unless you have a coach with a Scouting upgrade. When there are so many late round steals available (or at least rounds 3-5), there is a lot of value in being able to tell how good a player is without spending too many points on him. Sure, with QB you probably want to ensure he's got arm strength, but I think in most cases with other positions, the rookie creation tool isn't predisposed to screw you over by making you think a guy with A-B phy/int/per is going to be good when he's actually an AWR-buffed, slow, normally-developing lemon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #182
Esports Manager @ Twitch

CloudFuel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
Agree with a lot of what CloudFuel said, but also agree that the strategy is being a bit defeatist about finding SS development players. The Dev trait makes a big difference in how quickly you can get your guys attributes up, and will maximize the amount of attributes your team as a whole gets if you prioritize training up Quick/SS Dev players.

This can be done efficiently by screening players' intangible & personality. The two together are highly correlated with development (and OVR). Add in physical, and I think for most positions, you can make a decision on whether to draft a player based on these alone. Scouting 5-6 traits per player can be expensive unless you have a coach with a Scouting upgrade. When there are so many late round steals available (or at least rounds 3-5), there is a lot of value in being able to tell how good a player is without spending too many points on him. Sure, with QB you probably want to ensure he's got arm strength, but I think in most cases with other positions, the rookie creation tool isn't predisposed to screw you over by making you think a guy with A-B phy/int/per is going to be good when he's actually an AWR-buffed, slow, normally-developing lemon.
In my experience, it is quite easy to take a player from normal to SS in half a season... so that, along with the crap-shoot in scouting for dev (unless you're willing to drop 25 points at a time for things like intangible/physical), makes it so that I've never really put much stock in trying to FIND a SS.

Personally, I'd rather find the studs and then if I have more SP left over.. I'll dig further to see if there are any potential SS.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #183
2w0
Rookie

One thing I do is look out for Prototype scheme players. In fact, I set all my schemes to Prototype. Prototype players are the fastest and strongest, and those are the attributes that are near impossible to upgrade.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #184
MVP

milldaddy35's Arena

OS Needs to ban all these spam bots.

College Football - Iowa Hawkeyes
College Basketball - Iowa Hawkeyes

MLB - Minnesota Twins
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
NFL - New York Jets
NHL - Minnesota Wild